First mods on a stock '06
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on First mods on a stock '06 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'd like to start improving performance. What do you guys suggest I start with? I'm a bit of a n00b ...

First mods on a stock '06

I'd like to start improving performance. What do you guys suggest I start with? I'm a bit of a n00b with cars. A friend of mine suggested I swap parts for STI parts. A cheaper way to upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Start with a tune. A decent stage 1 tune will increase performance a good bit. Then add a downpipe and a stage 2 tune.

There are two basic was to go about tuning....you could get a Cobb AccessPort (about $600 new, cheaper used) or you could get a Tractrix cable for about $150 and get an open source tune.

There are some STi parts you can bolt in....like the STi top mount intercooler, but this would not really increase your performance though without stuff like a tune.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^what Bruce said.
    Read some of the stickies in our engine performance forum. The mod path for those cars has been pretty well fleshed out. It seems intuitive to just "throw STI parts at it", but it's a little more complicated than that.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    when i went stage 2 (turboback exhaust/tune) with my 06 it felt like a whoe different car. if youre looking for perfomance, definitely go that route. in this case, STi parts will not benefit. you'd want to go aftermarket.

some sti parts that are nice as far as cosmetics: 04 STi bbs wheels. v-limited front lip (they make replicas on ebay for $60)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The 2006+ WRX received more overhead in the injectors to play with. That being said, you'll be able to upgrade your TMIC, downpipe, and even a small turbo like the VF39 before worrying about fueling (though you'll max your stock injectors on a VF39).

My recommendation would be as follows:
    1.) Downpipe -- bellmouth preferably
    2.) Tactrix Cable for tuning
    3.) A good set of Brake pads, SS brake lines, and fluid
    4.) Sway bars -- will help dial out the pesky understeer and terrible body roll characteristic of a WRX
    5.) A good set of springs and struts -- Strut damping rate should be chosen based off spring rate to ensure that the car suspension remains in a critically damped state
    6.) Boost control -- a 3-port or interrupt-type EBCS should be utilized for quicker spool
    7.) Bushings -- Shifter bushings, Transmission mount, rear diff lockdown bushings, and pitch stop should be considered
    8.) Short shifter, if you don't already have one
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The 2006+ WRX received more overhead in the injectors to play with. That being said, you'll be able to upgrade your TMIC, downpipe, and even a small turbo like the VF39 before worrying about fueling (though you'll max your stock injectors on a VF39).

My recommendation would be as follows:
    1.) A good set of Brake pads, SS brake lines, and fluid
    2.) Downpipe -- bellmouth preferably
    3.) Tactrix Cable for tuning
    4.) Sway bars -- will help dial out the pesky understeer and terrible body roll characteristic of a WRX
    5.) A good set of springs and struts -- Strut damping rate should be chosen based off spring rate to ensure that the car suspension remains in a critically damped state
    6.) Boost control -- a 3-port or interrupt-type EBCS should be utilized for quicker spool
    7.) Bushings -- Shifter bushings, Transmission mount, rear diff lockdown bushings, and pitch stop should be considered
    8.) Short shifter, if you don't already have one
    Fixed (In my opinion)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Fixed (In my opinion)
    Ah, this wasn't in any sort of order
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Ok, who do you guys go to for a tune up like this? I'm going to start shopping around. Thanks for the suggestions!

I Support ClubWRX
    Till you are at least stage 2 or higher it is normally not worth it to get a full pro tune (go to a shop, get on a dyno, and get a completely custom tune).

If you go the Cobb AccessPort route, there are standard 'over the shelf' tunes that you can download from the Cobb site (if they are not already on the AP)

If you go the tractrix cable route, most people get what is called an e-tune. You pay a tuner a fee over the net, they e-mail you a tune. You install the tune and do some logging. You send them the logs, and the modify the tune as needed for your car. There can be multiple revisions done. For e-tunes, there are guys on here that do it, they go by 'WTF Tuning LLC'.....many members are happy with their results. Then there are places like Torqued Performance that do similar work.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.