intake?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

This is a discussion on intake? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im trying to figure out which intake is the best overall. Thus far ive read that intakes involving metal piping ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Livermore, Ca.
    Posts
    5

    Exclamation intake?

    Im trying to figure out which intake is the best overall. Thus far ive read that intakes involving metal piping are predispossed to being "hot air intakes." i dont wanna go with k and n just because of the name, im just looking for the best sound and power gain. suggestions??

    thanx!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,863
    I Support ClubWRX
    What car? What mods are currently on there? What are your plans for ECU remapping?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Livermore, Ca.
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What car? What mods are currently on there? What are your plans for ECU remapping?

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Livermore, Ca.
    Posts
    5

    2011 wrx

    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What car? What mods are currently on there? What are your plans for ECU remapping?
    Oops i suppose thats relevant its a 2011 wrx. Thus far ive got a catback "nameless" exhaust a short shifter
    and a red top optima. Im new to the car moding scene so im guessing the ecu is fuel mapping in which case i Havnt researched my options yet but the sky is the limit. appreciate any and all input thanx.

  6. #5
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,863
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki666
    Oops i suppose thats relevant its a 2011 wrx. Thus far ive got a catback "nameless" exhaust a short shifter
    and a red top optima. Im new to the car moding scene so im guessing the ecu is fuel mapping in which case i Havnt researched my options yet but the sky is the limit. appreciate any and all input thanx.
    Intakes require reworking the MAF scaling. So you need to figure out the tuning thing, then we can help you decide on intakes.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Livermore, Ca.
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Intakes require reworking the MAF scaling. So you need to figure out the tuning thing, then we can help you decide on intakes.
    Thanks for the input ill do a little research this evening and tomorrow and get back to
    Ya.

  8. #7
    Registered User EndlessSea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    423
    Not all intakes REQUIRE a retune. although it never hurts to get one.

    Perrin and AEM intakes are two pretty popular ones that don't require a retune, according to their respective websites. As long as your not stage 2. Once you add a downpipe you'll need a tune that incorporates the intake. they are both cold air intakes. With the filter down in the fender well. As far as sound. The Cobb without the air box is probably the loudest. But you'll still get some cool turbo sounds from any open element intake.

    So my opinion
    Best sound: Cobb
    Best power: I've heard AEM but I have no hard numbers to confirm. Probably any cai will be similar on the stock turbo

  9. #8
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,863
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea
    Perrin and AEM intakes are two pretty popular ones that don't require a retune, according to their respective websites.
    "Buy our intake. By the way, be prepared to shell out an additional $200+ to rescale the MAF to account for said intake."

    That's a hell of a sales pitch
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  10. #9
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,978
    I Support ClubWRX

    intake?

    I see it somewhat differently:

    If an intake does not require a tune I find it unlikely it will increase output dramatically. It's therefore not worthwhile.

    If an intake does require a tune, it's not worth getting a tune just for an intake.

    This is a no-win scenario for intakes. I mention it not because I insist it's correct (see the disclaimer in my signature) but only as another perspective. This might be a perspective against which intake sellers or makers have to develop marketing schemes, I can't say. That's how I feel.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  11. #10
    Registered User frenziedcage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I see it somewhat differently:

    If an intake does not require a tune I find it unlikely it will increase output dramatically. It's therefore not worthwhile.

    If an intake does require a tune, it's not worth getting a tune just for an intake.

    This is a no-win scenario for intakes. I mention it not because I insist it's correct (see the disclaimer in my signature) but only as another perspective. This might be a perspective against which intake sellers or makers have to develop marketing schemes, I can't say. That's how I feel.

    Agree 100% it wont be worth the time and money to tune for just an intake nor with or without a tune you still wont see significant power gains that are noticeable while driving the car. If the noise is what you're after I just cant stomach spending 150-300$ on something just to produce a cool sound then have to spend more money on the tune. If power is what you're after try a stage 1 map or you could get a dp and tune for stage 2.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •