Need help with stage 2 tune.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need help with stage 2 tune. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just installed my downpipe today, sounds nice btw, but I pulled a log. Upon pulling the log, I noticed ...

Need help with stage 2 tune.

I just installed my downpipe today, sounds nice btw, but I pulled a log. Upon pulling the log, I noticed that the car studders, I know this isn't normal. It just feels like something isn't right. So when I get home I opened the log and this is what I said.....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Td4SzdIQUpUdXc

This appears be to some crap, unless I am wrong. How do I fix this if its wrong? I tuned with the Cobb AP with an invidia DP.
    A car is only as good as its driver

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks you're getting some boost creep. Is that a catless downpipe? You should see peak boost of 17psi around 3500 rpm, then tapering down to 13 or so (going off Cobb's map notes).
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Yes it is catless. Targeted boost per their map notes is 18.5 down to 13 or 14; it also says +/- 1 psi, so I am in acceptable boost levels. I was referring to the "DAM" & "fine knock learning"

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You're overshooting your boost targets by 2.5 - 3.5psi.. that might be the cause of your knock.

I would try the LWG map and see what happens.

How so much? It says 18 on the notes. My peak was about 19/20

Probably because the map was designed for catted downpipes only.

Look at the boost error. Where you're hitting 19.61psi at 4999rpm, your tune is targeting 16.3psi. Doesn't look so much like creep, just over boosting.. so hopefully the LWG map will do you right.

I will try that map along with another. I know the map is designed for catted DPs, but I thought thee only problem would be boost creep from the added pressure, not knock as well.

Could it be the gas?

the third gens with the catless down pipes are known to have boost creep issues.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubiEj255 View Post
    I will try that map along with another. I know the map is designed for catted DPs, but I thought thee only problem would be boost creep from the added pressure, not knock as well.
    The overboosting/boost creep is causing the knock possibly. There is a reason the map notes are to be followed.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I fail to understand why people don't think it's important to follow map notes made by the makers of the tune, and on top of that, wonder why they have problems when they don't.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I never said it wasn't important to follow the maps notes. I know and understand boost creep/ overboosting. However, this is all the map notes said about using a DP that's catless. My concern isn't the boost, it's the knock. To the gentleman that said try an LWG map; will do. I will also post that log here as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your DAM is at zero. You're pulling 5. You should not be going WOT. Are you sure you tightened everything down properly? Rattles in the engine bay may trigger false knock readings.

Quote Originally Posted by SubiEj255
    I never said it wasn't important to follow the maps notes. I know and understand boost creep/ overboosting. However, this is all the map notes said about using a DP that's catless. My concern isn't the boost, it's the knock. To the gentleman that said try an LWG map; will do. I will also post that log here as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey
    The overboosting/boost creep is causing the knock possibly. There is a reason the map notes are to be followed.
    You don't fully understand boost creep and overboost, then. To elaborate a bit more on Rons post...

The extra boost can be putting you in untuned load sites, where the car is running too much timing for the boost your MAP sensor is registering. Therefore, causing the knock.
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-28-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Your DAM is at zero. You're pulling 5. You should not be going WOT. Are you sure you tightened everything down properly? Rattles in the engine bay may trigger false knock readings.
    I don't fully understand what you mean "I should not be going WOT" I am pretty sure everything is tighten correctly. I will double check. You mean from the turn to the DP or the whole assembly?

Your car is not healthy, driving it hard in this condition can cause permanent damage and possibly engine failure. Like ej was saying, both over boosting and boost creep will cause knock.

I do know that. I put a different map on. It seems to be running better. I haven't seen the log yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.