Port & Polish vs Upgraded Turbo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Port & Polish vs Upgraded Turbo within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking to take a step up in power after I get a DP along with PW TMIC and would ...

I'm looking to take a step up in power after I get a DP along with PW TMIC and would like to plan ahead. I'd like to maintain my 2011 WRX 4D as a daily driver. While browsing Grimmspeed I began to read reviews on their PnP turbo services while looking at getting a new, slightly larger than stock turbo. Does anyone have experience with PnP? Would I be better off going with PnP over a new turbo to avoid all of the necessary supporting upgrades and possible decrease in the life of my car? I know PnP will come nowhere close to the same power gains as a new blower, but the money and stress saved might be worth it if some performance gain is realized along with a quicker spool time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm sure it has some merit, otherwise they wouldn't be offering it. I don't think it's a matter of really adding much power, as it is with power delivery. You're more likely going to see some better spool as well as smoother power delivery, as opposed to more power.

If you would like to maintain something relatively stockish for a good price, look into Blouch's 19T wheel upgrade.

Also...biggest concern, what are your tuning plans? That's going to play the biggest role here.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If you would like to maintain something relatively stockish for a good price, look into Blouch's 19T wheel upgrade.
    Is this an entire turbo upgrade or just one side of it?
    I currently have a TP Stage 1. With the DP I'd grab a TP Stage 2, but add TMIC, EBCS, and turbo upgrade at once with a protune.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by younoleit View Post
    Would I be better off going with PnP over a new turbo to avoid all of the necessary supporting upgrades and possible decrease in the life of my car?
    I'm confused by this statement. Supporting mods are necessary when increasing power in general, not just because of an upgrade to the turbo. A motor simply moves air. That's it's primary function; air in, air out. The constituents of the air are changed, but that's besides the point. For example, if you PnP a turbo, you will effectively increase the flow capability of that turbo. That means that you will increase the volumetric efficiency moving more air through the motor. Moving more air requires more fuel for combustion at optimal AFRs. This is the case for ANY increase in VE whether it be from PnP or a larger compressor. However, increasing the flow through turbo will push you closer to edge of the compressor efficiency.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by younoleit View Post
    Is this an entire turbo upgrade or just one side of it?
    I currently have a TP Stage 1. With the DP I'd grab a TP Stage 2, but add TMIC, EBCS, and turbo upgrade at once with a protune.
    It's an upgrade to the compressor wheel of the turbo.

But Zach is right...if you're planning on upgrading anything to move more air, you'll need to make sure that you have adequate fuel being delivered as well. Best thing to do would be put out your suggestions to whomever is going to be doing the tuning, and find out his thoughts. A lot of tuners prefer certain parts to their abilities.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't bother
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

One good reason to port and polish is if one is constricted by class rules in competition to use the stock unit. Check that the rules allow pnp turbos first though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I wouldn't bother

+1

I don't have any first hand experience, but from what I've read and been told, PnP turbo isn't worth it (there aren't much gains to be had, and more often than not it actually degrades performance).

I Support ClubWRX
    The 2011 WRX comes with a VF52.

A good P&P job can effectively shift the powerband to the left and up.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

It's an upgrade to the compressor wheel of the turbo.
    So I will not need an entirely new turbo? Sorry, I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to these things. Would I really need new injectors for the PnP, or in the case, the upgraded wheel?

No, a compressor side upgrade means you're just upgrading that one side of your existing turbo. And no you won't need new injectors for a PnP (or any other fuel system hardware changes). You would want to get a new map for the car, but you'll want a new map even if you made zero other changes since the stock map leaves a lot of power on the table.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no need to upgrade the compressor considering the VF52 is larger than the 19T wheel. You would be going backwards........................not to mention the 19T upgrade is only for the Mitsubishi TD04,not any IHI turbo.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Ok, so the general consensus is that the only benefit I'd get from PnP is decreased spool time and shifting Power/Tq curves to the left but I wouldn't have to get any expensive supporting upgrades. If I were to take a step in turbo size, what model(s) should I look at?

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    There is no need to upgrade the compressor considering the VF52 is larger than the 19T wheel. You would be going backwards........................not to mention the 19T upgrade is only for the Mitsubishi TD04,not any IHI turbo.
    Ah didn't think about that part of it...should have mentioned the TD04 part as well. My bad

wow...I completely missed the fact it was a 2011 WRX...my bad big time

Forget anything I said about 19T

You're looking into the 16G/16GXT category really for an upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast