Which Downpipe?

This is a discussion on Which Downpipe? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I plan on going stage 2 this month, and have been researching downpipes a lil. I called a few tuners ...

Which Downpipe?

I plan on going stage 2 this month, and have been researching downpipes a lil. I called a few tuners you guys have mentioned and asked them a few questions also. So I'm wondering your input.

Invidia Catted - I was told basically to avoid this by a tuner. Said the design is poor? What do you guys think?

Cobb Catted - I'm leaning toward this...but holy crap 595!?!

Turbo XS Catted - I found one for a really good price and like the ability to removed the rear if needed.

Injen Catted - I ran Injen parts on previous cars, but the one I found online says it works...but I'm not positive, there is no info on it on the Injen site.

Perrin Catted - I found for a great price on amazon, but there is no picture, and according to the Perrin site there was 2 designs? Im not sure which is for sale on amazon.

So which one would you guys recommend? Any I didn't mention? And I'm basically sold on going catted so no need to mention catless. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Which Downpipe?

All downpipes listed should be comparable. I haven't personally heard any foul reviews of the invidia catted, that is a first to me.

Keep in mind some exhaust systems require the whole system... Some are generic cat backs and down pipes that you can mix and match. I am not familiar with which ones those include. I know invidia and Cobb both have the standard length pipe with a flat flange for use with most cat backs.

Also, check to see if any taper down to 2.5" to mate with the stock cat back. This may be a big factor for you depending on if you plan on replacing the cat back or not. If you are using the stock system with a full 3" dp, you should pick up the appropriate adapter before trying to get them to mate up
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Any bellmouth is fine. Hell a cheap ,good pipe is the CNT ones. O r a Helix one if you can find it.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I just got my Invidia catted downpipe delivered last week. I'm as happy as ever. However make sure you do some research on the flange sizes. the Invidia is a 3" flange so to bolt to the stock catback you will need a 2.5" to 3" adapter. (i got the grimmspeed one) Then when I get a full 3" catback the adapter will no longer be needed. Honestly tho, I was considering the COBB, but for nearly $600 (595 on site but vendors are usually a tad lower) i didn't want a downpipe that was still 2.5" because in the future I plan on going for a full 3" all the way back.

Anywho, the day my downpipe came I went to put stage 2 on my accessport and when I plugged it into my computer it froze on the updating screen (DO NOT USE USB 3.0 for the cobb ap) but they shipped me a new one last night and it should be here tomorrow! I will let you know what stage 2 is like, sir!

I Support ClubWRX
    I have an Invidia catted dp and I love it. I haven't heard anything bad about them on here, nasioc, or online stores with reviews. It is a really good dp imo and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the cobb or perrin ones. Any idea why your tuner said to avoid it? Have fun when you go stage 2! Its a blast!
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I've had both the Cobb and Invidia. I'd say the quality is pretty equal between them. It just depends on what cat back your bolting it to like Heide said.

Here's a pic of the 2..

2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    I would vote for an invidia DP
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Any bellmouth is fine. Hell a cheap ,good pipe is the CNT ones. O r a Helix one if you can find it.
    found a used catless for $100 locally(Hint hint Jilty).
    Oh wait, he has a 2011 man. No Helix for him.
    Last edited by UEDan; 12-19-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Sorry no response in a few days. I really appreciate the input.

Heide264 - Yeah thanks for the heads up. Ill actually go with oem replacement fitting stuff to not worry about things not matching up.

Donkey - I actually just looked up CNT and asked some buddies about them today, and they had nothing but good things to say. And the price is great!

Mike193 - Did you get to use your ap yet? Hows stage 2 if you have? And yeah, I have been reading up on the flanges and what not, I will be going with the same adapter.

WRX650 - It is actually a well known tuner that I called, I will not say names because, if I misinterpreted him, I would hate to have any fall back on him, but what was said was basically the divorced design is not very good. He said its one of the most popular ones but wouldnt recommend it. I have friends with Invidia and love it so I dont know, Im pretty sure its a Cobb pipe basically which he recommended haha.

Eric05mx - I will be going to stock for now, but will be picking up either nameless cat back or q300 for my hatch. Oem replacement basically so no worries on fitment.

UEDan - Im not really lookin to go catless, I have a good deal locally here but have decided to go catted for headaches sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    I just got my Invidia catted downpipe delivered last week. I'm as happy as ever. However make sure you do some research on the flange sizes. the Invidia is a 3" flange so to bolt to the stock catback you will need a 2.5" to 3" adapter. (i got the grimmspeed one) Then when I get a full 3" catback the adapter will no longer be needed. Honestly tho, I was considering the COBB, but for nearly $600 (595 on site but vendors are usually a tad lower) i didn't want a downpipe that was still 2.5" because in the future I plan on going for a full 3" all the way back.

Anywho, the day my downpipe came I went to put stage 2 on my accessport and when I plugged it into my computer it froze on the updating screen (DO NOT USE USB 3.0 for the cobb ap) but they shipped me a new one last night and it should be here tomorrow! I will let you know what stage 2 is like, sir!
    Are adapters really necessary? Serious question. Because when I swapped an sr20det into my 240sx. I added a 3" Megan dp with a 3" outlet, and bolted it out up to my stock 2 1/4 in catback. No leaks, no problems, drove it like that for 2 months just fine until my catback arrived in the mail.

Not saying that's the case with every car just an observation

Re: Which Downpipe?

Nope. Not absolutely necessary. There are people that don't.

Posted from a fone.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    Are adapters really necessary? Serious question. Because when I swapped an sr20det into my 240sx. I added a 3" Megan dp with a 3" outlet, and bolted it out up to my stock 2 1/4 in catback. No leaks, no problems, drove it like that for 2 months just fine until my catback arrived in the mail.

My buddy has a 1996 firebird and his exhaust cracked off right before the cat about 3 months ago. He's still driving around with no exhaust accept headers i believe. I suppose if the car is running it can still be driven, question is, is any harm being done, and if so, to what extent?

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post

My buddy has a 1996 firebird and his exhaust cracked off right before the cat about 3 months ago. He's still driving around with no exhaust accept headers i believe. I suppose if the car is running it can still be driven, question is, is any harm being done, and if so, to what extent?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Nope. Not absolutely necessary. There are people that don't.

Posted from a fone.
    +1

I decided to try running it without the adapter to see if it was necessary and I haven't had any leaks or anything. Seems to be doing just fine.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html