Wanting 300 WHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wanting 300 WHP within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Goals Get up to 300whp or really close. Get a tune and new turbo for less than a grand Mods ...

Wanting 300 WHP

Goals

Get up to 300whp or really close.
    Get a tune and new turbo for less than a grand

Mods

AP(probably going to sell for the extra money)
    EBCS turbo controler
    APS exhaust with CNT racing DP
    STI pinks(got for good price or would of got DW 650cc)
    STI TMIC
    Turbo? (I think FP. Idk weather or not to do the standard or the big. Donít even know the difference but could probably guess.)

I have a stage 2 set up right now and donít have the injectors or intercooler in yet. Waiting for turbo so I can just get one tune. For my tune I was probably going to meet with Eric at torqued performance. Iíve done a tune with him already and I liked it a lot. I have no idea what whp Iím at now so donítí even know if my goals are realistic. Can anyone help me out? Advice, suggestions, ect.. Anyone know where I can get a used decent turbo? DB, FP, Blouch or anything. Thanks for reading.

P.S. could you also tell me with the mods I have(without STI injectors or TMIC) what you think my whp is at now? Just a guess would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm you have a 2002 WRX? Personally I wouldn't be looking at a used turbo.. but if I was I would want to go as cheap as possible and get a VF turbo. NASIOC classifieds is where I would look for used parts, they get a lot of traffic.

If it were me, I would probably save up and buy a new Bouch 16g-XT.. (well, not really but it's something to think about)

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Wanting 300 WHP

Agreed on the blouch XT series.

You never said what model car this is for. Difference between a 2.0 and 2.5 is huge when recommending specific turbos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Yeah sorry forgot to mention. Its an 02, I'm saving up for other things in life also though. I want to stay under 800 new or used. What ever is best for me. Thanks for your replys.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Wanting 300 WHP

I am not that good with the 2.0L. I would make a suggestion to either set aside the goal or the financial limitation. Getting a certain power goal for a certain dollar amount often results in reliability or driveability sacrifices. Just my $0.02.

Just from forum browsing, the 16gxt and 18gxt are both used on the 2.0 with good results. For a daily driver, I would bet the 16gxt would yield a very fun power band, regardless of numbers.

We have some 2.0L champs on here that I would get an opinion from. Mainframe is one of them .
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

been a long time since my car has had a 2.0L though.. the farthest I went with the ej205 block was stage two

I will say, the 300whp goal is pretty arbitrary. With the VF22, 2.5L block, and all bolt ons my car made 256whp and 306wtq on that particular dyno. I could have gone across town and without changing anything the car would have easily put down 300whp on a different dyno. It all depends on the make/model of the dyno and how it is calibrated.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sti pinks are not going to support 300 whp very well. And this has been said a million times, peak numbers don't mean jack. It's the before and after numbers along with the power curve that make the difference. Consistent mistake people that don't understand dynometer variables make. Since you already got pinks just grab any USDM STI turbo and a fuel pump. Easy,fun set up.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Since you already got pinks just grab any USDM STI turbo and a fuel pump. Easy,fun set up.

+1

(unless you're wanting to double your budget)

Sounds like your price point is pretty stiff. You won't be able to get much better than a VF39 or something similar AND get the tune for what you want to spend.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah i understand that. Really though its not the "300" number i want. I just picture what that would feel like and 300 is a nice round/big number haha. Just want a good noticable difference. The tune i got was only 200 in person. What i think i might do is sell these pinks i got(only cause i got a good price on them) make profit, get DW 650cc keep the STI TMIC and look for a used 16gxt. If i cant fid one i will prolly just do a vf series.

If i do decide to go with a vf series, which one would you reccomend? I would like a quicker spool time rather than a ton a power. Thanks all.

No VF turbo is going to make as much power as a 16g-XT. They're basically all the same (as far as the usual ones). A VF39 or VF34 will probably be the easiest to find and will bolt right up. Remember that some of the newer ones have different configuration/bolt pattern. I don't feel like looking up which ones right now..

The one I have used for a long time is a VF22. It has a slightly larger hot side, so a little later spool sacrificed for better top end. I used to think it spooled like crap (I was hitting max boost 23.5psi at 4100rpm).. I especially thought it sucked after I switched to a 20g and it was spooling at the same time, only making a ton more power. But after I returned the 20g and put the VF22 back on temporarily I realized there were a lot of other factors effecting my spool. In its current configuration I have the VF22 hitting full boost at 3100rpm, and I could probably shave a little more lag off by running hybrid boost control.

Yeah the VF40 (Legacy GT turbos) and VF52 (3rd gen WRX turbos) will not fit on your car.

VF34 (older JDM STIs?), VF39 (04-06 STI), VF43 (07 STI), VF48 (3rd Gen STI) all would be alright options.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

yeah, looking at my options i think im gunna go with a vf39.

Alos, I have an AP and wanna sell it for the extra money. Does anyone know of like maybe an app on your smart phone you can log with or something? and i think im gunna get a CAI too. Which one would you guys go with. Not trying to buy the nicest one but just a good one. BTW i have researched it but just want other peoples opinion.

As far as I know there isn't an app you can flash or log with. But if you get an OpenPort 2.0 cable you can have it log to a micro SD card so you don't have to carry a laptop with you.

I Support ClubWRX
    No flashing but several apps that can log using an OBDII wifi interface.
    PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi | OBD2 OBDII iPhone
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast