Quiet Exhaust for a 2012 WRX Sedan

This is a discussion on Quiet Exhaust for a 2012 WRX Sedan within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is there such an option as a quiet exhaust available for my 2012 WRX? Right now I have the exhaust ...

Quiet Exhaust for a 2012 WRX Sedan

Is there such an option as a quiet exhaust available for my 2012 WRX? Right now I have the exhaust that came with the car, purchased new, a year ago, and what I liked a year ago is starting to annoy me till no ends. Last year, I liked the exhaust note, but now that 1,500 to 2,500 RPM 60 Hz drone is starting to work my last nerve.

I was just wondering if there were any options available to stop that annoying drone or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What do you have currently? SPT?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I think it is the stock exhaust, even though a couple of other locals seem to think it is the SPT. Let's put it this way, my invoice says nothing about a SPT exhaust on it, so I highly doubt it was thrown on the car for free, lol.

I believe the spt exhaust says "spt" on the tips.

If it is the SPT, it will say so on the tips.

Something along these lines:

- Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Car's dirty, but I am going to say it is safe to assume stock:

I gave up on washing it due to the expansion is taking place in my subdivision.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know of any exhaust as quiet / quieter than stock. As for the 1500-2500 RPM drone, the only thing I can think of would be to look into resonance panels and CCF to help dampen the noise.

Two pretty good places to score both:
    Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information
    RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm thinking CCF and mass loaded vinyl may be the way to go in the trunk to block the transmitted noise all together. I never had much luck using multiple layers of 100% coverage constrained layer dampening to stop noise in the past, so I am thinking that it is still a bad alternative for my current situation. If anything, I'll catch the problematic panels with my leftover damplifier pro, use CCF as a decoupler, then cover with MLV.

Then again, I'm already looking at new cars. If I have a good 1st and 2nd Quarter at my CPA firm and get the contract that I am currently working on for Quarter 3, I'll more than likely end up replacing the WRX with something else. I'm back on the M3 or IS F kick again.

EDIT: This is par for the course for me... What I liked when I purchased the car eventually becomes the one thing that I obsess over and start to hate about the car over time.
    Last edited by gunz4me; 12-15-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    Then again, I'm already looking at new cars. If I have a good 1st and 2nd Quarter at my CPA firm and get the contract that I am currently working on for Quarter 3, I'll more than likely end up replacing the WRX with something else. I'm back on the M3 or IS F kick again.
    Good luck with the car shopping. If you're looking to spend that kind of money, have you considered the new CTS-V? It's a monster of a car with that 550hp supercharged LSA. Would be my choice over either of those. It's also got a much more civilized ride and quieter cabin than the WRX.

Just know what you're getting yourself into as far as maintenance and upkeep. My caddy cost several thousand over the years; that's why I got rid of it for a WRX at less than half the price.

Another great option would be the Golf R. It's not quite at the same performance level from the factory, but is AWD, easily tunable and is a super quiet, smooth ride. It's actually pretty incredible for the money. My wife has one, and with a stage 1 tune it's a torque monster. It's got all the cool features my Caddy had too, like push button start and dual climate control, an AMAZING sound system, etc. All for ~$35,000.