my 2013 WRX story + Compression test results
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on my 2013 WRX story + Compression test results within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I took delivery of my 2013 DGM Hatch back in August, absolutely loving the car, this would be my ...

my 2013 WRX story + Compression test results

So I took delivery of my 2013 DGM Hatch back in August, absolutely loving the car, this would be my 3rd WRX and the first since my BMW M3, At 1000 after break in I had the oil done and threw an AEM Intake on and went TP stage 1, I fell more in love with the car but I wanted more, dont we all? I then threw a Invidia Catless DP on with the OEM CBE threw TP stage 2 on at 19 PSI, I felt as if I was doing a crime driving a subie with no exhaust note so I picked up a SPT exhaust and mated it to a custom 3 inch mid pipe, this is when the troubles started, boost became impossible to control, I gave the grimmspeed 3 port a shot, it helped a bit but the SOB still creeped, I even tried running wastegate pressure and the car still hit 21.7 psi -__-, after countless revisions and hitting boost cut a few times I noticed a drop in my idle vacuum, first thing popped in my mind was sh*t the damn ring land, today I puled the plugs and did a compression test for a peace of mind, heres what i got, im not sure of how the numbering of the cylinders go but O well,
    Passenger side: Rear 140 PSI, Front 140 PSI.
    Drivers Side: Rear 135 PSI, Front 145 PSI. My car is at 5200 miles, little disappointed in the slight drop on the one, I have no smoke on start up and no smoke through the oil filler.

Realizing my options are, ditch my CBE, ditch my intake or get a catted down pipe, Ive decided upon EWG due to cost comparison vs a catted DP and will be working with Eric at TP to tune it out. I wish I had the funds to throw an intercooler and fuel pump on too One thing I did wish I did was throw some one step colders in whilst it was apart today.

Here are some pics of the car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

These cars are prone to overboost and a catless downpipe only makes matters worse without an EWG. My car had zero problems with overboost even during the winter when I had a catted turbo back and Cobb ots map (stock intake).
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    These cars are prone to overboost and a catless downpipe only makes matters worse without an EWG. My car had zero problems with overboost even during the winter when I had a catted turbo back and Cobb ots map (stock intake).
    Yeah I realize this now, what do you think of the compression results

I can't comment on the compression results, but it was a good idea to go for the test. Are you still having the same problem with idle vacuum, or are you not driving?

EWG is the right way to go if you want to keep the rest of the parts. I'll have to be careful since I want to run a turboback and an intake too. Which part do you or Eric think has the most influence over the boost creep?

Keep us posted, hopefully everything gets resolved.

He states that it is primarily the invidia design, the fact that im catless makes it even worse, and the AEM also adds to this. Personally if you want to be safe I would go with a catted DP, unless you plan on EWG, I havent tested the vacuum since I put it back together, Ill have to check it again tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.