Downpipe comes tomorrow. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Downpipe comes tomorrow. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Basics I can give.... CNC Freeze-off or PB Blaster...that is your friend. Good idea to have a breaker bar handy ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Basics I can give....

CNC Freeze-off or PB Blaster...that is your friend. Good idea to have a breaker bar handy just in case.

The heat shield has 10 or so bolts, some of them hidden. My replacement GS one has 3 lol.

the stock DP has a hidden bolt 1/2 way between the turbo and the bend at the bottom. Your aftermarket will not have that.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's easy.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    It's easy.
    Great post.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Thanks alot for the help. downpipe comes today, so I think I'm gunna go ahead an start taking off heat sheilds. If it looks pretty easy for my skill level I'm gunna go for it. I'm thinking I should be able to do it, I'm pretty good at learning things as I examine it and work with it. Chances are I'll order aftermarket shields with christmas casshhh, rather buy heat shields then have to wait til christmas, then pay to get the DP installed...

Re: Downpipe comes tomorrow.

Dp installation isn't hard.

Remove the heat shield.
    (some people remove the intercooler, not necessary but if you want to, go for it... For more room obviously)

Loosen the 5 downpipe to turbo bolts

Loosen the cat back bolts

Undo the hanger

Unthread the o2 sensor.

Undo the 5 dp to turbo bolts completely.

Get under and hold the dp while you remove the cat back bolts.

Reinstall just go backwards.. Use a new gasket for the dp to turbo and a factory gasket and cat back bolts.

Done lol

i havent had a heat shield in 3 years...
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll go ahead and admit to swearing a few times during my first dpipe install.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Re: Downpipe comes tomorrow.

The downpipe was relatively easy when I did mine. Probably took me a total of 30 minutes if I was just doing the downpipe install. It makes it easier if you have two people one underneath the car and the other above holding it on the wastegate. I found if you don't have two people you risk the bolts stripping from not being aligned properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

The only biatch is the one DP bolt thats closest to the TMIC/tranny side. You have very little room to work with and almost no way to get in with any kind of breaker bar, etc. A lot of this is due to the size of the stock DP heatshield as well. Finally figured out to use a simple 1/4in socket...yes the little guy. And pulled it right off...even on a 115k stock DP.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12