Intake and heat shield question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Intake and heat shield question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Calvinball If you get an intake, you will need to tune for that. Not entirely true on ...

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    If you get an intake, you will need to tune for that.
    Not entirely true on an 04.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Are you sure about that? I believe it replaces the stock shield. If it does go over the stock heat shield, it will definitely have a significant benefit. It's like doubling the insulation on your house. It will not only keep more heat in the turbo, but prevent that much more heat soak into the intercooler.

On my '12 it's definitely an additional heat shield as opposed to a replacement. But, no, on an '04 I don't know if that's the case.

There was certainly no noticeable difference in performance when I had my SPT shield added. If there's no noticeable difference, then in my book it's not a benefit. I was kinda' disappointed.

EDIT: Before buying the SPT shield, I scoured the web looking for definite proof, or at the very least someone who could claim they noticed anything change after having it installed. I found nothing. Nada. Zip. Of course, the service guy at the dealership said it undoubtedly made a difference, but couldn't point me to any info confirming that. I figured I'd try it anyway because it was cheap and couldn't do any harm (other than add weight).
    Last edited by Soobvirgin; 12-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Not entirely true on an 04.
    I thought it was just 02-03 that could get away with it?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    On my '12 it's definitely an additional heat shield as opposed to a replacement. But, no, on an '04 I don't know if that's the case.

There was certainly no noticeable difference in performance when I had my SPT shield added. If there's no noticeable difference, then in my book it's not a benefit. I was kinda' disappointed.

EDIT: Before buying the SPT shield, I scoured the web looking for definite proof, or at the very least someone who could claim they noticed anything change after having it installed. I found nothing. Nada. Zip. Of course, the service guy at the dealership said it undoubtedly made a difference, but couldn't point me to any info confirming that. I figured I'd try it anyway because it was cheap and couldn't do any harm (other than add weight).
    It will make a difference, but it's not going to be enough that you'll be able to notice it just driving the car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

If you get an intake, you will need to tune for that.
    Really? everything i've read about those two says no tune is necessary. It even says on the Cobb web site it says you don't need one.

So are most of you guys who are running an SRI, are you just running an aftermarket heat shield or just staying with the stock?

I thought it was just 02-03 that could get away with it?
    Nope...any of the 02-07s can run an intake, pending that the piping diameter and flow are similar to stock (such as Cobb, SPT, K&N, APS) so as not to skew the MAF readings. Its on the GDs that intakes don't really have too much of an effect until you're getting to higher power levels considering the stock intake box is quite efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon wagon View Post
    Really? everything i've read about those two says no tune is necessary. It even says on the Cobb web site it says you don't need one.
    See above.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

So are most of you guys who are running an SRI, are you just running an aftermarket heat shield or just staying with the stock?
    What are you talking about? Turbo heat shield over the turbo/downpipe? Or are you talking about the airbox that surrounds the intake similar to the Cobb box or the SPT box? If you mean the turbo heatshield, it has absolutely no bearing what so ever with the intake.

I was talking about the turbo heat shield. Most wrx's I've seen with intakes have a larger turbo heat shield. I thought that moving the intake inside the engine bay and closer to the turbo would require more insulation from the heat.
    Also, I haven't seen an SPT box, just an intake shield.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I was talking about the turbo heat shield. Most wrx's I've seen with intakes have a larger turbo heat shield. I thought that moving the intake inside the engine bay and closer to the turbo would require more insulation from the heat.
    Also, I haven't seen an SPT box, just an intake shield.

Turbo heat shield and intake have virtually nothing to do with each other. Aside from safety reasons, the other main benefit of a turbo heat shield is to keep the heat inside the turbine housing which keeps the exhaust velocity up. Exhaust gas is what spins the turbine and spools the turbo. I would say an equally important reason for the turbo heat shield is to reduce TMIC heat soak.. Intake considerations are pretty far down on the list of what's important about the heat shield..

The reason to have a larger heat shield is if the stock one doesn't fit over your turbo or downpipe. Even though the stock heat shield can easily be trimmed to fit over just about any aftermarket downpipe, many people that don't know better just throw it away.. then later on someone who cares buys the car and it's just easier to get an aftermarket replacement.

For what it's worth, I'm running a SRI and I also have a GrimmSpeed turbo heat shield as well as a turbo blanket. I also have my headers, uppipe, and downpipe wrapped, as well as phenolic spacers to insulate the intake manifold from the heads, and I have the throttle body coolant bypassed. Once the next build is done I'm going to make a cold air box for the intake too.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 12-12-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Just a quick question from a 2 month old WRX owner. I bought my SWP 2011 hatch and it already has an SPT exhaust and a catted Invidia DP with a custom tune (still have the factory air box). I understand at this point a SRI wouldn't do much but like this guy I want the noise My question is, with the custom tune set for the OEM air box, will the SRI damage anything if I put it on without a new tune?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes..............this has been covered over,and over,and over,and over.......................

Without a wideband guage to verify and the ability to datalog you would have no idea if there was an issue or not. It pretty much depends on the intake.
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-...es-s/70677.htm
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Yes..............this has been covered over,and over,and over,and over.......................

Without a wideband guage to verify and the ability to datalog you would have no idea if there was an issue or not. It pretty much depends on the intake.
    Technical Articles
    Thanks. Again I am new to the forum so I didn't really look around too. Much. This helps me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12