2002 WRX Stage 2+ Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX Stage 2+ Advice within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, Finally set up an account after visiting this site countless times for info. It's always been a great ...

2002 WRX Stage 2+ Advice

Hey everyone,

Finally set up an account after visiting this site countless times for info. It's always been a great resource and seems like a good community.
    Anyways, I've got a 2002 WRX that's just cobb stage 1 right now and it's time for more power. My last car was pushing around 300hp all motor so I'm getting bored with 255 haha. Here's what my plan is and any input you have is greatly appreciate. I'm open to constructive criticism

cobb dp
    cobb cat back
    vf34 turbo
    uppipe

I'm trying to avoid the generic stock turbo with turboback and a tune. I just want that little bit more.

I'd be taking the car to the pudget sound to get a cobb dynotune. The thing is, I'm aware of people breaking trannies left and right. Taking that into consideration, I'd like to be right around 260whp and I've read that the vf34 should easily be capable of that. Guess the question really at hand here is, are the supporting mods for the turbo I listed above going to be sufficient? and will the stock fuel pump be able to keep up? I've heard the vf34 is going to provide a much quicker spool then the stock turbo and will be able to provide a few extra lbs of boost without a problem. plus it won't need any extra fabrication to install. correct me if i'm wrong. So in short, I want to install the parts listed above, roll into a dyno, and get a tune. Is 260WHP plausible? Or would anybody advise against that number with the 5spd.

I'm new to the turbo scene so I hope I at least kind of know what I'm talking about haha. Go easy on me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

2002 WRX Stage 2+ Advice

Look for injectors and a pump.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    In addition to the injectors and pump suggested, I'd also suggest a 3-port BCS to go along with it. The tuner will be much happier tuning with it, and you'll have a better result as well.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Yeah I did some more digging and came to the conclusion that a new fuel pump and injectors are definitely necessary. Thanks for the input on that. Would you recommend something generic like a Walbro pump? Seems like there's a lot of people running them. Also, what would be the most painless and best injectors to install?

I definitely didn't consider getting any type of boost control solenoid so thanks for suggesting that as well.

Again, thanks for the responses. They are greatly appreciated.

vf34 would blow passt the 260whp mark just as long your fuel system can support, oh and for the transmission you could break it at 250 whp or you could have a 350whp and still have a stock trannie running fine, its all about how you use the power vf 34 can push over 300whp

I Support ClubWRX
    What shop you going with for the tune?

A good TMIC with a custom reflash would make a pretty fun car. Since you're going to want to upgrade your TMIC to support the VF34 anyways, I would try a TMIC with the stock turbo to see if you can get away with that instead.

Since you're S1 and you're looking for an additional 50bhp or so, I'd do the following:
    Uppipe
    TBE
    TMIC (e.g., ProcessWest or ETS)
    Hybrid boost control (Hallman Pro RX + GM EBCS)
    Good tune

That should net you your 50hp, and make for a fun/responsive car, without getting too far into it $$ wise. The TD04 will somewhat limit you on the top-end, but it'd be a very fun mid-range (where you're at during DD duty).
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Hmmmm. Interesting. I would assume people run into trannie problems when they launch hard and rip through the gears then? Personally I think I'm pretty easy on my car as a daily driver. When I do launch my car, I always use launch control and slip the clutch slowly. Never dump it. You think if I'm sitting around 300hp at the crank and I'm not too harsh on the launches It'll hold up? If worse comes to worse and I break it, I may go another route and replace 1st and 2nd gear with ppg gears.

I've heard of a few good shops in Washington. 20-20 Motorsports in Bellingham, and Intec Racing in Kent. If you guys know of any somewhat close the the Spokane WA area that are reputable that would be great info to know. I make trips to the west part of the state now and then so I figure I'd get the tune when the opportunity to head over there arises.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sex_in_my_rex19
    I've heard of a few good shops in Washington. 20-20 Motorsports in Bellingham, and Intec Racing in Kent. If you guys know of any somewhat close the the Spokane WA area that are reputable that would be great info to know. I make trips to the west part of the state now and then so I figure I'd get the tune when the opportunity to head over there arises.
    I haven't heard of either of them.

MPS in Marysville is your best option in WA, and one of the top shops in the country. Certainly worth the wait/trip...

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: 2002 WRX Stage 2+ Advice

In Washington, I'm not sure I'd recommend hybrid boost control: too many elevation changes... too many manual boost adjustments :-/

At the very least, a Hallman Pro RX with an in-cabin adjustment is a must.

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Interesting... I was under the impression that the fuel pump would be well past full duty cycle making that much power. I'd like to try and preserve the top end if possible that's why I was looking at going with a vf34. I just feel like the stock turbo is going to be pushing hot air if I'm pushing 300hp. But would you think the STI TMIC is sufficient for this application. Theres a local wrecked car yard here in Spokane that i've been to a few times. They have a few STI's laying around. Would definitely save a few $$ if I pulled one out of there. They've always given me great deals on used parts in the past

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    In Washington, I'm not sure I'd recommend hybrid boost control: too many elevation changes... too many manual boost adjustments :-/

At the very least, a Hallman Pro RX with an in-cabin adjustment is a must.
    That's what the Max WGDC (Atm Pressure) table is for

That said, having an in-cabin adjustment is a good idea.

Interesting... I was under the impression that the fuel pump would be well past full duty cycle making that much power. I'd like to try and preserve the top end if possible that's why I was looking at going with a vf34. I just feel like the stock turbo is going to be pushing hot air if I'm pushing 300hp. But would you think the STI TMIC is sufficient for this application. Theres a local wrecked car yard here in Spokane that i've been to a few times. They have a few STI's laying around. Would definitely save a few $$ if I pulled one out of there. They've always given me great deals on used parts in the past
    You'd get slightly better cooling due to the increased size. However, you're still looking at a comparable pressure drop. So, if you're targeting 20PSI at the MAP sensor, you'll see ~23PSI at the compressor. Get a good TMIC and that pressure drop is usually under 1 PSI.

I'm not a fan of the STI TMIC as an upgrade, personally. For what you spend, you can get a better aftermarket unit for not too much more (used, of course), which will have better spool/response and can tune the car more aggressively with the same "safety margin".

Instead of the VF34, if you want a turbo upgrade, I'd look at the 16G (Blouch offers a good unit). You'll want 650+cc injectors (on pump gas), but it should offer a better powerband.
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-08-2012 at 11:05 PM.

UNYSOC

What you said earlier about keeping the stock turbo is starting to grow on me. I think I'll go that route and if I'm not satisfied I won't be out any extra money. Thanks for the advice!

Oh and a quick question about MPS. Would they be able to tune through my accessport so I have the ability to change the map to stock briefly if needed, and so i can still use the features of the accesspor? I know there are tuners out there who do that and that would be very convenient for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh and a quick question about MPS. Would they be able to tune through my accessport so I have the ability to change the map to stock briefly if needed, and so i can still use the features of the accesspor? I know there are tuners out there who do that and that would be very convenient for me.
    Dom can tune via the AP

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Since you're S1 and you're looking for an additional 50bhp or so, I'd do the following:
    Uppipe
    TBE
    TMIC (e.g., ProcessWest or ETS)
    Hybrid boost control (Hallman Pro RX + GM EBCS)
    Good tune
    This is exactly my mod path, subbing in Zach's STI intercooler for the PW (parts start going on end of next week). I'll be posting updates to my mod thread as the tune progresses.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast