Intake or Catback first?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Intake or Catback first? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im buying a Cobb AP first but after what would be better to get an intake or catback exhaust? When ...

Question Intake or Catback first?

Im buying a Cobb AP first but after what would be better to get an intake or catback exhaust?

When it comes to the intake is there a difference or reason either a CAI or short ram would be better than the other?

And as far as the catback i am looking into the Invidia Racing Cat Back. Will it bolt right up to the stock midpipe and still work when i upgrade the midpipe/downpipe? or will i have to have some type of different flange?

Im new to the Subaru world so i have a **** ton of questions. Thanks for any help i can get
    2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatch
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Intake or Catback first?

Neither will improve power output. In most cases, the intake will necessitate a tune to scale the MAF. As such, if it's sound you're after, the question has already been answered. Also, post your year/model; we're not psychic.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Then use the force and read his sig

neither. Start with the Cobb and a downpipe

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Funny dude. Hahaha

I know it will need a tune thats why i said i was getting te AP first. So what would be better for me to get after. If theres no power increase then what would be the point in ever moding the car? Im going to do as much as i can to the car im just simply seeing what people suggest i get first.
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by Mf645 View Post
    neither. Start with the Cobb and a downpipe
    I was reading that theres almost no point in going with a catted downpipe because theres still a chance of failing emisions testing. So i would go catless. Does the downpipe replace the midpipe also? I did find a few shorty product and what i was getting from it was it only replaced thefirst cat from the turbo and the full downpipe replaced both cats. Correct?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Intake or Catback first?

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    On tapatalk; no sigs visible

Catted down pipe will reduce the tendency for boost creep, which is not easily dialed out with the VF52 (no WGA adjustment)
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

What exactly is boost creep?

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BEASTmode632 View Post
    What exactly is boost creep?
    Bad.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

So... Here is some short knowledge that I have learned ... being new to tuning subies as well:

You already have a Cobb AP.. good start

Intake: Makes you intake sound cool, can hear the turbo more... there ARE more gains from having a stage 1 or 2 with an intake as opposed to not having one.

Short Ram - Works with FMIC setup if you are planning on upgrading your turbo and going that route
    CAI - Sits in fender well - no proof that it gets submerged in water driving in rain... and comes with a heat shield - I would recommend AEM

Exhaust - Going DP and Stage 2 will net you the most gains right out of the gate. You need a DP to go stage 2 and cannot do it on intake alone. I would suspect that you will see more gains from having an intake included in your Stage 2 tune.

If you want to JUST upgrade your catback - then there will be no power gain unless you tune for stage 1 completely stock.

Hopefully that answers your question.... now post a pic of your ride
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

It's also worth noting the COBB AP maps only support catted DPs. So if you are running OTS maps that's the way to go to ensure it's supported.
    2013 DGM Hatch WRX - STI STS currently only mod

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn View Post
    So... Here is some short knowledge that I have learned ... being new to tuning subies as well:

You already have a Cobb AP.. good start

Intake: Makes you intake sound cool, can hear the turbo more... there ARE more gains from having a stage 1 or 2 with an intake as opposed to not having one.

Short Ram - Works with FMIC setup if you are planning on upgrading your turbo and going that route
    CAI - Sits in fender well - no proof that it gets submerged in water driving in rain... and comes with a heat shield - I would recommend AEM

Exhaust - Going DP and Stage 2 will net you the most gains right out of the gate. You need a DP to go stage 2 and cannot do it on intake alone. I would suspect that you will see more gains from having an intake included in your Stage 2 tune.

If you want to JUST upgrade your catback - then there will be no power gain unless you tune for stage 1 completely stock.

Hopefully that answers your question.... now post a pic of your ride
    thanks man. that helps alot. i do plan on going bigger turbo eventually so your saying it would be pointless to go with cold air?

i will be posting some pictures some time this week

Quote Originally Posted by crash55 View Post
    It's also worth noting the COBB AP maps only support catted DPs. So if you are running OTS maps that's the way to go to ensure it's supported.
    thats a bummer because ive heard that its still hard to pass inspections even with the highflow cats. i would rather go catless. and its cheaper. do you think it would really make that big of a difference or would be bad for the car even if i had a catless dp and used one of the OTS maps?

How does your state test emissions?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BEASTmode632
    thats a bummer because ive heard that its still hard to pass inspections even with the highflow cats.
    The difficulty of inspection lies solely on what emission testing your state/municipality does.

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTmode632
    i would rather go catless. and its cheaper. do you think it would really make that big of a difference or would be bad for the car even if i had a catless dp and used one of the OTS maps?
    Cobb maps don't support catless downpipes; you need to read the map notes more carefully, in the future.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast