Downpipe question!!! For 2012 WRX hatch

This is a discussion on Downpipe question!!! For 2012 WRX hatch within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, So Im thinking about ordering the Tsudo Catless down pipe from ebay... It says it comes with all ...

Hi all,

So Im thinking about ordering the Tsudo Catless down pipe from ebay... It says it comes with all the correct gaskets and installation materials... I have stock exhaust, Aem intake, cobb AP, and a turbo xs bov... I am going to flash the stage 2 map from cobb.

If I order this, I know ill need a new heat shield that will fit over the down pipe since the stock one is to small. Any you recommend?

Has anyone done this dp onto the stock exhaust?

Thanks!

Alex

here is the link to the dp. and i have a 2012 wrx hatch...

Tsudo Subaru WRX STI 2008 2012 3" Catless Race Bellmouth Iron Flange Downpipe | eBay

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb maps aren't compatible with catless downpipes
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

You'll have to get a custom tune done. I have the DP now and have had zero issues. Took about 3 hrs to install in the driveway. Youll need the 3" to 2.5" adaptor to get a nice fit to the stock exhaust. Good Luck and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by elchino View Post
    You'll have to get a custom tune done. I have the DP now and have had zero issues. Took about 3 hrs to install in the driveway. Youll need the 3" to 2.5" adaptor to get a nice fit to the stock exhaust. Good Luck and enjoy!

could i run the stage 2 map or avoid buying the adapter?

thanks, and do you have a different heat shield?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by atissasha
    could i run the stage 2 map or avoid buying the adapter?
    Like I stated before, Cobb maps require a catted downpipe. You can skip on the adapter, but you're likely to have an exhaust leak at the downpipe/catback joint.

Quote Originally Posted by atissasha
    thanks, and do you have a different heat shield?
    Three options (not accounting for turbo blankets):
    1) Modify your current one to fit the wider turbo/downpipe opening
    2) Buy an aftermarket one
    3) Don't run a heat shield

Option 1 is your best choice, option 3 is the worst.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Cobb fail
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

Quote Originally Posted by atissasha View Post
    Hi all,

So Im thinking about ordering the Tsudo Catless down pipe from ebay... It says it comes with all the correct gaskets and installation materials... I have stock exhaust, Aem intake, cobb AP, and a turbo xs bov... I am going to flash the stage 2 map from cobb.

If I order this, I know ill need a new heat shield that will fit over the down pipe since the stock one is to small. Any you recommend?

Has anyone done this dp onto the stock exhaust?

Thanks!

Alex

here is the link to the dp. and i have a 2012 wrx hatch...

Tsudo Subaru WRX STI 2008 2012 3" Catless Race Bellmouth Iron Flange Downpipe | eBay
    CNT makes a reasonably priced catted downpipe. Also you could contact Eric at Torqued Performance, he told me his maps work with both catted and catless, I think he has maps for the AP (I did open source so I'm not 100%) so you could look into that if you are stuck on the eBay pipe.

As far as the heat sheild, I cut the stock one and it worked just fine, took about 5 minutes. You should be able to find a DIY on here or with a quick google search. Also, if you go the CNT route, they offered to throw in the adapter with the downpipe, it's noramlly $29 I believe
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t."

'10 WRX DGM Sedan: CNT Catted DP, SPT Exhaust, Perrin STS adapter/bushings, TP Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Still learning but from what I've read over the months and what my local tuner did for me you could:

Get the downpipe, toss the stock heat shield/buy a turbo wrap $100~ and finally get pro-tuned so you don't have to worry about cat dp vs catless dp. Best part about getting a personalized tune(pro-tune) is that it's exactly that, customized to your parts/car.