12' Stage 2 WRX

This is a discussion on 12' Stage 2 WRX within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i was looking to start upgrading to stage two in my WRX. as of right now i have ...

12' Stage 2 WRX

Hey guys i was looking to start upgrading to stage two in my WRX. as of right now i have just a catback. i am just looking for some advice from people with stage two exp. I want to keep this car for a while and keep it running well down the road. I have a list of items that i was thinking of getting. Give me your feedback on them too see if i'm headed in the right direction. Thanks guys!

List in order i would be getting:
    1.) Cobb AP (stage 1 for a little untill i get more money saved up)
    2.) Invidia catless DP divorced wastegate
    3.) after that would be an intake of some sort and a BOV for some noise.

Iv'e head some things about BOV's and how they suck. I want to keep the car running as it should but i just LOVE the sound of a BOV. Lemme know, thankss

*EDIT* i have decided to go with an invidia catted DP
    Last edited by wrx_yfz; 12-09-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    12' WRB WRX sedan
    -Cobb Accessport- Stage 2
    -Invidia Catted DP W/Custom Catback
    -AEM CAI Intake
    -Rally Armor Urethane Mud Flaps

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb map notes clearly state what modifications are compatible with their tunes. Read them.

2) Catless downpipes aren't compatible
    3) Limited intake options (without custom tuning) and atmospheric valves give no benefit over a recirculating valve. If your stock valve starts leaking, Forge makes a good recirculating valve that isn't too expensive.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Cobb map notes clearly state what modifications are compatible with their tunes. Read them.

2) Catless downpipes aren't compatible
    3) Limited intake options (without custom tuning) and atmospheric valves give no benefit over a recirculating valve. If your stock valve starts leaking, Forge makes a good recirculating valve that isn't too expensive.
    Would you reccomend a custom tune or spending the extra cash on
    A high flow dp w/ cat?
    12' WRB WRX sedan
    -AEM CAI Intake

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_yfz
    Would you reccomend a custom tune or spending the extra cash on
    A high flow dp w/ cat?
    A custom tune is far superior to a base map. However, your tuner may prefer you have a catted downpipe and/or AP.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

as of now i think im going to buy a AP and go stage one, drive around see how i like it and get an invidia catted to make it stage 2 with a stage 2 93 map. im sure ill see some nice gains
    12' WRB WRX sedan
    -AEM CAI Intake

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_yfz View Post
    Hey guys i was looking to start upgrading to stage two in my WRX. as of right now i have just a catback. i am just looking for some advice from people with stage two exp. I want to keep this car for a while and keep it running well down the road. I have a list of items that i was thinking of getting. Give me your feedback on them too see if i'm headed in the right direction. Thanks guys!

List in order i would be getting:
    1.) Cobb AP (stage 1 for a little untill i get more money saved up)
    2.) Invidia catless DP divorced wastegate
    3.) after that would be an intake of some sort and a BOV for some noise.

Iv'e head some things about BOV's and how they suck. I want to keep the car running as it should but i just LOVE the sound of a BOV. Lemme know, thankss

*EDIT* i have decided to go with an invidia catted DP
    with an aftermarket open element intake you'll hear the factory bpv from inside the car. you wont get the ricey chuff or squeal of a vta though. but if you just want to hear it itll happen with the stock bpv and aftermarket intake.
    on that note make sure the intake your thinking of getting is supported by ots maps, some of those intakes include the cobb, perrin and aem. other than that you'll need a custom tune as others have said

I Support ClubWRX
    i have a cobb sf intake with an airbox and you can hear the BPV and air intake a lot better with it. most people will suggest avoiding a BOV and my tuner has said that it wont make any difference switching stock vs aftermarket BOV
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

thanks a ton guys, i love the information.
    12' WRB WRX sedan
    -AEM CAI Intake

why not consider buying a torqued performance tune? you can get a stage 1/2 combo for $145 plus tactrix cable is like 150 or something like that. half the price of the ap and from what i have read their tunes are slightly more agressive than cobbs ots maps. plus the tp tunes are data logs so its tuned to your car, elevation,etc where as the ap is a basic map for "your" mods. i went tp stage one with k&n intake and loved it. now im tp tuned stage 2 with cobb dp and nameless axleback. i have heard so much on catted or catless dp's it gives me a headache. if i had my choice i would get the cobb intake and invidia catless. i got my dp and intake from a buddy for 300 bucks so i couldnt pass it up. i also bought a used turbosmart compact series bov rec. into the system. not any better per say just didnt trust the stock plastic unit. i love the sound between the bov and intake, as mentioned not to ricey but still get the bad ass sound.
    boost is like alcohol, its fun and great in moderation, to much and something's gonna go boom.