Upgrade help...

This is a discussion on Upgrade help... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am wanting to upgrade my 2012 sti and I'm pretty sure this has been talked about many times. So ...

Upgrade help...

I am wanting to upgrade my 2012 sti and I'm pretty sure this has been talked about many times. So what the best dp and intakes for our cars that doesn't cost a fortune and that compatible with Cobb ap.

Thanks
    2006 WRX
    2012 WRX STI
    - Speed never kills anyone, Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what whats gets you. Jeremy Clarkson.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does this graph make sense to you:

You can go to Cobb's website and read the map notes and that will tell you what you need in an intake and dp. If you're too lazy to do that, Cobb's tunes are calibrated for a dp with a high-flow cat. They also offer tunes for intakes, with them being only the Cobb SF intake and the AEM.

I'm also gonna add this graph, only because it says "penetration" and it made me giggle, and everyone wants penetration:

--Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

AccessPORT Off The Shelf Maps

Looks like Cobb and AEM...

Though a simple search might yield greater results
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

HAHA thanks but what about cnt dp on our cars.
    2006 WRX
    2012 WRX STI
    - Speed never kills anyone, Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what whats gets you. Jeremy Clarkson.

as long as it's a catted DP it will work fine with Cobb's tunes. If you wanted to go catless, you'd have to go opensource tunes, which are awesome too. Unless you already have the Cobb AP or are just set on it, I'd think about long term what you want to do as far as tuning when choosing what parts you want to put on.

For example, if you ever want to go more than stg2, you're going to need a pro-tune, because Cobb doesn't offer anything over stg2. Which at that point you'll have paid money for the AP and then would have to put out more for a pro-tune. So if you ever see yourself getting a pro-tune, the AP may not be the best bet for you.

Unless you happen to be like me and want to just stay stg2 with the AP for a while and then eventually get a pro-tune years down the line when I upgrade more.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Thanks does the position of the hi flow catalytic converter matter on the dp.
    2006 WRX
    2012 WRX STI

I Support ClubWRX
    hit the search button dude, don't be thaat lazy. Read some of the "stickies" at the top of the forums, they're LOADED with these types of questions... and have been answered.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no "best" for either. Like has been said, Cobb only offers maps for their intake and AEM. Personally, I prefer the filter to be in the fender (rather than in an airbox), so my money would go towards the AEM unit.

For downpipes, they're all pretty much equivalent. Different brands will offer different designs or may have better fitment, but in the end, any catted downpipe will work. I've had fitment issues with CNT downpipes in the past, others haven't; this is a QC issue with them being an eBay company.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

true i had fitment issues with so y pipes on eBay. Any other brands recommended for dp without fitment issues. I have cobb dp full exhaust on my 06 but i wanna try something different.
    2006 WRX
    2012 WRX STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico2611
    Any other brands recommended for dp without fitment issues. I have cobb dp full exhaust on my 06 but i wanna try something different.
    Invidia, Perrin, TurboXS

Quote Originally Posted by Rico2611
    Thanks does the position of the hi flow catalytic converter matter on the dp.
    In theory, a catalyst closer to the turbo will heat up more, causing a bit more back pressure than one placed further downstream. However, it will also do a better job filtering out emissions. A cat closer to the turbo limits your options for installing a WBO2 bung, as well, if that ever becomes a desire.
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-05-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Rico2611 View Post
    true i had fitment issues with so y pipes on eBay. Any other brands recommended for dp without fitment issues. I have cobb dp full exhaust on my 06 but i wanna try something different.
    I've heard of fitment issues with CNT on older models, my CNT catted DP fit perfectly on my 2010, and most of the members of my local club use CNT because it's worked out great for them (and it's inexpensive). You will need the adapter but they threw that in for free (just ask) because it's a 3" dp. Cobb's dp tapers to fit the stock exhaust. If you go open source (without a pro-tune) I'd reccomend Eric @ Torqued Performance, he does e-tunes and I've been really happy with the results. Good luck!
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t."

'10 WRX DGM Sedan: CNT Catted DP, SPT Exhaust, Perrin STS adapter/bushings, TP Stage 2

Thanks for the imput just ordered cnt dp and adapter cobb sf intake cobb springs and rally armor flaps dam 186.00 for some flaps really.
    2006 WRX
    2012 WRX STI