Super Turbo charged WRX

This is a discussion on Super Turbo charged WRX within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So this may seem like a ridiculous question, and not something I'm planning on doing to my car for a ...

Super Turbo charged WRX

So this may seem like a ridiculous question, and not something I'm planning on doing to my car for a very long time (kinda drained my car budget with my new WRX) however I still would like to know if it is possible.
    With the boxer engine can you run a supercharger/turbocharger duel setup? This would give you the low end pull from the supercharger as well as the top end power of the turbo. This would also(theoretically) remove any turbo lag as long as its tuned correctly. I know that there would be a lot to be done with this type of modification, engine internals and suspension and most all the running hardware to handle the power. But is this something the boxer engine could do without exploding?
    (My inner engineer isn't right in the head)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yes it can be done. a google search will some pictures and threads on other forums.

This has actually be discussed a little in the past, though I haven't ever seen it actually done. In theory, it's a good idea and there are plenty of cars that have done this in the past. Cost would be insane though to fabricate what you need to do it...the stock block can handle upwards of 330-350whp before you start knocking down the reliability...so, who knows. It could probably handle the power as long as you kept it modest, but that seems like more of a pain than it's worth.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    It's been done - google and read a bit. Results were unsatisfactory in every example I've read though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Even if it could be made to work well, it seems well past the point of diminishing returns, to me.
    There are proven modification paths for this car, that are fairly affordable and reasonable (to my judgement) until you get a ways over 300awhp. What's your reasoning behind wanting low end pull? I don't want to sound condescending, but if you learn to drive the car in its powerband, you pretty much negate the need for it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon