Time for another Mod!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Time for another Mod! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So for christmas I'm going to get myself a nice shiny downpipe! My questions are, what companies have a nice ...

Time for another Mod!

So for christmas I'm going to get myself a nice shiny downpipe! My questions are, what companies have a nice throaty tone? I like it being very loud, doesn't bother me. Also, will I pass inspection with high-flow cat in NJ? I'm running Nameless Performance Axleback muffler delete's rite now and plan to continue running them, however if I will pass with a high-flow and the stock mufflers then I will obviously wrench for 15 minutes and put stock axleback on.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

***EDIT***

I will be using a COBB OTS stage 2 tune, until I go (probably sometime this summer, if i get more mods) for a protune.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you have a programmer such as an access port?

If so invidia

I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty much every downpipe is going to sound the same.. the differences will be catted or catless, obviously the later will be louder and more "open" sounding. I'm not sure if there is really a difference in tone between bellmouth or divorced.. there will be some difference I'm sure, but it shouldn't be much.

High-flow catalytic converter should not pass any stringent type of emissions testing, and it certainly shouldn't pass visual inspection. The question will be how strict the place you go to for inspection is at following federal and local regulations.

The axleback (muffler) will have no effect on emissions, only sound.

Quote Originally Posted by christiangordon View Post
    Do you have a programmer such as an access port?

If so invidia
    yes, as stated above in the edited section, I have an AP and will be using an OTS stage 2 tune from COBB

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Pretty much every downpipe is going to sound the same.. the differences will be catted or catless, obviously the later will be louder and more "open" sounding. I'm not sure if there is really a difference in tone between bellmouth or divorced.. there will be some difference I'm sure, but it shouldn't be much.

High-flow catalytic converter should not pass any stringent type of emissions testing, and it certainly shouldn't pass visual inspection. The question will be how strict the place you go to for inspection is at following federal and local regulations.

The axleback (muffler) will have no effect on emissions, only sound.
    thank you for your knowledge, much appreciated.

So at this point, I'm thinking I'll go with a cat-less downpipe because I don't mind noise and I enjoy hearing all the noise the car can make, hell I'm still young and I mite as well enjoy it as much as I can while I still do! Only concern with taking the cat-less route is I've read about 'boost creep'? not to knowledgable on that but it doesn't sound like a good thing.

Also, what is the difference between bell-mouth and divorced?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193
    So at this point, I'm thinking I'll go with a cat-less downpipe because I don't mind noise and I enjoy hearing all the noise the car can make, hell I'm still young and I mite as well enjoy it as much as I can while I still do! Only concern with taking the cat-less route is I've read about 'boost creep'? not to knowledgable on that but it doesn't sound like a good thing.

Also, what is the difference between bell-mouth and divorced?
    Cobb maps require a catted unit. If you buy a catless unit and have mechanical difficulty, you cannot go to Cobb for support, since you can't follow instructions (well, you can, but they have every right to tell you to go pound sand).

Bellmouth vs Divorced:
    Exhaust FAQ
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Looks like I'll be going with a high-flow cat, since I want it to be able to work with the stage 2 OTS cobb tune.

Are there any performance differences between cat-less and a high-flow cat?

EDIT:

also, as I look over the link you provided, I see that I have a 2nd cat beyond the downpipe, and also a resonator in the rear mid-pipe. For the stage 2 OTS tune do I just need to replace the front cat and leave the rear cat there? Also, will the stage 2 work incorrectly without a resonator.
    ANOTHER EDIT: nvm i read more and am an idiot. it replaces both cats
    Last edited by Mike193; 12-03-2012 at 06:01 AM.

So, I think I've decided, I'm going to go with the cobb SS 3" downpipe. Will this bolt right up to the stock mid-pipe?
    Also, I mite just decide to order an aftermarket mid-pipe as well, can someone inform me on some pro's and con's for mid-pipes, or maybe even provide a link.

I Support ClubWRX
    So, I think I've decided, I'm going to go with the cobb SS 3" downpipe. Will this bolt right up to the stock mid-pipe?
    Also, I mite just decide to order an aftermarket mid-pipe as well, can someone inform me on some pro's and con's for mid-pipes, or maybe even provide a link.
    Cobb will bolt to the stock midpipe, or any midpipe that tapers to 2.5" to mate with the stock downpipe. If your plan is to go with an aftermarket midpipe, you're better off with a unit like the Invidia and using an adapter (Grimmspeed sells one) until you buy the midpipe.

On the stock turbo, the 2.5" catback section isn't going to limit you all that much. I would do it, personally, so that you don't waste time/money with the adapter.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Cobb will bolt to the stock midpipe, or any midpipe that tapers to 2.5" to mate with the stock downpipe. If your plan is to go with an aftermarket midpipe, you're better off with a unit like the Invidia and using an adapter (Grimmspeed sells one) until you buy the midpipe.

On the stock turbo, the 2.5" catback section isn't going to limit you all that much. I would do it, personally, so that you don't waste time/money with the adapter.
    But if down the road I want to use a 3" to have more air flow then if I get the invidia and adapter i will save myself from having to purchase a new downpipe.

I Support ClubWRX
    But if down the road I want to use a 3" to have more air flow then if I get the invidia and adapter i will save myself from having to purchase a new downpipe.
    Or just go 3" from the start

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Or just go 3" from the start
    well, I woud but I don't have the extra cash for a mid-pipe also, this is going to be my 1 and only christmas gift, besides stocking gifts haha, and I may even go for a used one if I can find one nearby with low mileage just to save some money.

Emissions in NJ is only a plug-in type to the OBDII port to check to see all monitors/sensors are ready. From what I recall in researching, they don't have any sniffer anymore. Don't think they do anything for visual either. Once you flash Stage 2, it should make your ECU ready to go.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Emissions in NJ is only a plug-in type to the OBDII port to check to see all monitors/sensors are ready. From what I recall in researching, they don't have any sniffer anymore. Don't think they do anything for visual either. Once you flash Stage 2, it should make your ECU ready to go.
    thank you for your input. However, I believe I will be going with a catted because the OTS stage 2 tune is not compatible with cat-less downpipes (as far as I'm aware)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    thank you for your input. However, I believe I will be going with a catted because the OTS stage 2 tune is not compatible with cat-less downpipes (as far as I'm aware)
    I agree with you there. That sounds like the best option anyway. Be sure to throw up a Stage 2 review when you're done!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast