Axle back

This is a discussion on Axle back within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I put on a nameless axle back muffler delete about a month ago, and the other day I reset my ...

Axle back

I put on a nameless axle back muffler delete about a month ago, and the other day I reset my avg mpg after filling up and after about 25 miles it told me I was getting about 14.4 mpg. Maybe im paranoid but ive noticed that I do use more gas than usual. Is it possible that the axle back has affected the mpg??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I doubt it - but strange things do happen.

When I put my CBE on my MS3, i noticed that my mileage dropped about 5 mpg. Then I noticed that i tended to drive in higher RPMs to hear the exhaust note, and rev the motor once in a while to hear the exhaust burble - both being horrible for mileage.

That'd be my guess, but I'm no expert.

Exhaust = Sweet rumble = moar right foot = terribad mpgs.

Transitive property at work

Seriously though, after you reset the counter it is pretty volatile until you reach more like 50-75 miles. My guess is that you were just driving with more right foot than usual in those 25 miles. It's pretty easy to see low mpg numbers on the computer that shortly after it's been reset.

Now that you've noticed it, drive conservatively and see if it goes back up. You could even reset it again and then drive conservatively.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"