SPT Exhaust 2013
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on SPT Exhaust 2013 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I was looking into getting a Cobb Access port and a SPT exhaust system so I could go stage ...

SPT Exhaust 2013

Hey, I was looking into getting a Cobb Access port and a SPT exhaust system so I could go stage 2. But I noticed in the print from Cobb that the exhaust system needs to be a "Turbo back exhaust." I am pretty much a noob to this stuff so I was wondering if the SPT exhaust is a turbo back exhaust because it doesnt say it is anywhere on the websites I am looking at. I searched the forum as well so sorry if I missed the answer. But if the SPT would not work with the stage 2 tune then I need to reconsider my build plans. Any knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

So if you could let me know if the SPT exhaust goes from the turbo back and would be fine with a stage 2 tune that would be great! thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No, SPT would never sell you anything that modifies exhaust emissions. That said the SPT exhaust is a CATback exhaust and just an expensive noise maker. You'll need a downpipe(and midpipe, usually sold as 1 piece) for stage 2. Refer to this diagram:
    Last edited by UEDan; 11-29-2012 at 11:27 AM.

FMS

Quote Originally Posted by rockstar4l View Post
    Hey, I was looking into getting a Cobb Access port and a SPT exhaust system so I could go stage 2. But I noticed in the print from Cobb that the exhaust system needs to be a "Turbo back exhaust." I am pretty much a noob to this stuff so I was wondering if the SPT exhaust is a turbo back exhaust because it doesnt say it is anywhere on the websites I am looking at. I searched the forum as well so sorry if I missed the answer. But if the SPT would not work with the stage 2 tune then I need to reconsider my build plans. Any knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

So if you could let me know if the SPT exhaust goes from the turbo back and would be fine with a stage 2 tune that would be great! thanks!
    Here is a very detailed how to go stage 2 plus some. (Ignore the TMIC, EBCS, uppipe, and EWG as these are not needed for stage 2.)
    DIY Stage 2+ (Downpipe, Uppipe, TMIC, EBCS, Ram Intake, Wastegate Blockoff, EWG)

For a stage 2 setup the minimum needed would be a downpipe and tune. That being said you could still run into over boosting on the newer model WRX/STi.

If you have any questions or would like help picking parts shoot us a PM and we would be happy to help.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

thanks for the help guys.

With that said does that mean an spt exhaust would be stage 1 tune? Also if i were to get a system to get me to Stage 2 would I have a hard time passing emmisions? I love my car and the last thing i want is to get tickets for it because of modding.

Is this just a down pipe? or a combo with the mid like you said dan? http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Invi...rced-Wastegate

I am assuming its just the down pipe
    Last edited by rockstar4l; 11-29-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Stage 1 tune is simply flashing a Stage 1 map. No parts are required. You can use a CBE with Stage 1 or Stage 2 because it is just a noise maker. CBE's have no bearing on power gains.

Its tough to say about emissions...you likely wouldn't get a ticket for any modding unless you live in an area that is tough on it, so I can't say. But you don't live in Cali, so nothing will be that bad. I've heard of plenty of people passing emissions with Stage 1 or Stage 2 mods, but again that will come down to where you get it done specifically and if they do visuals on top of the OBD2 connections (IIRC, NY doesn't use sniffers anymore).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Stage 1 is basically a car that is unmodded... catback really doesn't effect much of anything besides sounds.

Yes you will have a hard time passing emissions with stage 2 a sniffer test, maybe I haven't read up much on that. But you will fail the visual test miserably since you will be removing all your catalytic converters.
    That said, if your exhaust isn't too loud you won't attract much attention.

For the life of me, I can't remember if it was NYC that does yearly emissions testings or not... for us its every 3 years. I plan to just reinstall the stock downpipe and flash when that happens.

Yep, thats a downpipe with a midpipe attached, after the 90deg bend is where the midpipe would be.... come to think of it, I cant remember seeing an manufactures that do separate midpipes for '08-'13 models.

Cool so Techinically I could do the SPT exhaust with that midpipe and flash a stage 2 and see some gains?
    Last edited by rockstar4l; 11-29-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Cool so Techinically I could do the SPT exhaust with that midpipe and flash a stage 2 and see some gains?
    No.

You need a DOWNPIPE for a Stage 2 flash, to see gains. The link you provided for the Invidia DP is simply just the DP (most of them are that shape/size standard).

UEDan, if you are thinking of smaller ones, those are actual shorty DPs which usually have the ability to connect a cat-pipe or a racepipe (missing the cats) to either be catless or catted.

The midpipe is part of the Catback.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

So it seems like it would be a total rip off to get the SPT at all. I can get a Turbo back exhaust for half the price and stage 2 tune and save alot of money and see better gains?

You actually don't really "need" a cat back exhaust for a "stage 2 map". I started off with just the Cobb AP and downpipe while still using the stock cat back. The downpipe is the best "bang for the buck" mod on these cars. An intake with proper tune will actually add more power than a cat back alone.

Here is the main part you need.

2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

So it seems like it would be a total rip off to get the SPT at all. I can get a Turbo back exhaust for half the price and stage 2 tune and save alot of money and see better gains?
    A lot of people agree. SPT CBE alone is roughly $800-900 at the cheapest...more like $1100 from the dealer, and you don't see any gains at all from it. It only makes noise.

To go Stage 2...you only need an Invidia catted DP ($400 or so) and a tune, (AP, protune, internet tune, depending on how you go...$250-$600) would cost $1000ish total. Now you can spend less by finding used parts. Add a CBE in for noise if you wanna hear the boxer rumble better, and you will be adding another $650+ depending on brand of course. You can figure out the rest if you wanted to add it all together.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hi! I'm new to this site and have a WRX question regarding exhaust.
    I have a2013 WRX premium. I am current Cobb access port user. I'm looking to go from stage 1 to 2 from what I've heard all I need for stage 2 maps is a cobb down pipe and a tune. I should be able to tune it with my AP. Or am I better off seeking a pro shop? Any help would be great.

You need a Downpipe, doesn't have to be cobb, just any after market 3" downpipe. Then you will have to decide if you want to go catless or not. If you do, YOU SHOULD GET A PROTUNE BECAUSE THE AP DOES NOT SUPPORT A CATLESS DP ON THEIR OTC MAP. That being said I have seen some cars run the normal Cobb map with a catless DP. Not recommended.

I Support ClubWRX
    Going to keep the cat. Will probably get Cobb DP with cat. That way I can use my Cobb v3.
    From what I've heard I don't need turbo back for stage2. Just DP and a tune. Does this sound right or do I need a pro tune? Or could contact cobb with log info and have them come up with a map.

I Support ClubWRX
    What are you running ElusiveSAV? I'm trying to gather as much info and knowledge as possible.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.