Looking to go Stage 2... NEED HELP!!! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Looking to go Stage 2... NEED HELP!!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Ryno10rex Don't want to Hi-jack this thread but have a question.. If i were to go catless ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno10rex View Post
    Don't want to Hi-jack this thread but have a question.. If i were to go catless DP and run COBB OTS stage 2 map until I have the extra money to get a pro-tune (roughly 4 weeks) do I run the risk of damaging the engine if I don't "race" it.
    You'll be fine. You do run risk of boost creep, though it doesn't always come about. If the car hits boost cut, it's a fail safe to prevent any damage. I ran catless with OTS Stage 2 on my 07 STI for 30k miles plus, and never had an issue.

Some may disagree with me by saying you need to follow map notes to a T, but I'm more in the thought that Cobb says you *have* to use a catted DP because that complies with federal emissions regulations and basically means they don't support you breaking laws by using catless...they are just specifying it to cover their asses.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    Some may disagree with me by saying you need to follow map notes to a T, but I'm more in the thought that Cobb says you *have* to use a catted DP because that complies with federal emissions regulations and basically means they don't support you breaking laws by using catless...they are just specifying it to cover their asses.
    Aftermarket catted downpipes are just as illegal as their catless counterparts.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Aftermarket catted downpipes are just as illegal as their catless counterparts.

Yup.. it's against federal law to mess with any thing that has to do with factory emissions, whether it's catted or not. I'm pretty sure tampering with the factory tune breaks federal emissions laws as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    You guys say you don't mean to thread jack...but you are.
    Haha i know.. It sounds polite but pretty obvious lol. It may help the OP out?

The county i live in here doesnt have to do emission test (yet) and some do a visual inspection some don't bother if you know them well enough..

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'm one of the some that disagrees with you. It's been well proven people consistently run into issues with Cobb maps when they don't run exactly the parts Cobb specifies.

And yeah as EJ and MF said, it's illegal period to mess with any pollution control device so it has nothing to do with them covering their asses. They specify it because having a cat (even a high flow one) makes a BIG difference in the behavior of the engine versus an open pipe with that source of backpressure removed.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno10rex View Post
    Don't want to Hi-jack this thread but have a question.. If i were to go catless DP and run COBB OTS stage 2 map until I have the extra money to get a pro-tune (roughly 4 weeks) do I run the risk of damaging the engine if I don't "race" it.

I'll say first that I don't understand why anyone would - in addition to making no real extra power and having a smelly car, there is no guarantee that a protune will be able to eliminate boost creep. If you can't cough up a little extra for a cat, don't mod. your car.

Boost creep is hit or miss. Cobb has it in there because they don't want to have to tweak maps for 100's more users who would have issues without a cat, and furthermore they know they can't tweak it far enough in all cases to solve the problem. Otherwise they would have a map for a cattless DP, as they always did for 2.0l. It isn't like an intake or something that will cause variation in A/F and knock. With boost creep you have it or you don't and you know it if you do.

That being said, you can drive around boost creep especially if you have a boost gauge. Don't start a pull on the highway in 4th at 2k RPM and go to redline etc.. Run lower gears out to the top, and downshift as necessary to keep the RPM up if you are going to floor it. You are basically trying not to stay in one of the higher gears WOT for too long.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

The whole driving around boost creep info is more than enough to make me spend the extra $200.. I guess I was looking to free it up as much as possible but I'll take this as lesson learned from the veterans of the hobby

I've been trying to do my own research off Cobbs website reading their dyno maps. For me to run 17 psi is it necessary to have an EWG, and a 65c fuel pump? I'm looking to reach ~300 hp and by January my mod list will be: Spt boost gauge, Spt Cat-back, catted DP, Cobb AP and short ram intake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.