Looking to go Stage 2... NEED HELP!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking to go Stage 2... NEED HELP!!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sorry for the confusion....

Looking to go Stage 2... NEED HELP!!!

Sorry for the confusion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by careercadaver View Post
    I meant the Uppipe as far as wrap and STI set-up...I was half asleep...

Ill correct my original post. I'd still wrap the DP though...with as many heat related issues to the number 3 cylinder and cv boots I'm surprised anyone would disagree with as much heat wrap as possible...
    Ahhhh uppipes! That makes more sense now

Really isn't much need to wrap the UP though. But yeah, the 2006+ WRXs have the same UP has STI UPs- catless. While keeping heat in the pipes is a good idea, its more efficient at the turbo and DP level considering that's where exhaust gasses get superheated from turbo physics.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by careercadaver
    I'd still wrap the DP though...with as many heat related issues to the number 3 cylinder and cv boots I'm surprised anyone would disagree with as much heat wrap as possible...
    I'm not disagreeing. However, there are some modifications I would make to your statement. First of all, the only part of the downpipe you want to bother with is to the point where it bends back under the firewall. Wrapping beyond that is diminishing returns; it will do pretty much nothing except cost you additional money. Depending on the wrap you choose (e.g., the newer Lava Rock wrap), you're not supposed to spray them (DEI).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    Really isn't much need to wrap the UP though. But yeah, the 2006+ WRXs have the same UP has STI UPs- catless. While keeping heat in the pipes is a good idea, its more efficient at the turbo and DP level considering that's where exhaust gasses get superheated from turbo physics.
    I'd wrap the exhaust manifold and uppipe (NOTE: you're not supposed to wrap a flex section; it can cause early failures) before wrapping the downpipe, if you're going to choose between them. Obviously, wrapping all three is ideal, but the turbo heat shield will do a good enough job. Pick up a turbo blanket down the line, which sometimes comes with some heat wrap, and use that as far as you can get on the downpipe and call it a day (otherwise, order a 2x15 roll).
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-29-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ok, thanks for all the input.... So if I purchase the cattless down pipe it would over boost? What will happen is it over boosts and will a catted dp solve that problem?

Also what is all this external waste gate stuff. What does it do?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by atissasha
    Ok, thanks for all the input.... So if I purchase the cattless down pipe it would over boost? What will happen is it over boosts and will a catted dp solve that problem?
    A catless DP is not compatible with Cobb maps. If you deviate from the map notes, you can't expect them to support their product. Some cars will overboost. If that's a problem, reach out to them and have them resolve the issue.

Also what is all this external waste gate stuff. What does it do?
    EWG puts the wastegate pre-turbo, and offers a larger volume of air to be dumped. This, in turn, allows for more power, and better boost control. It requires custom tuning, and should include aftermarket boost control. To go EWG, you're looking at ~$1000 bill.

UNYSOC

Thanks man... so if I buy a invidia catted down pipe. can i install it myself, and then run the stage 2 map from the ap? Will i need to buy a gasket aswell?

Will it fit on the stock exhaust? Do I need anything else like as someone said earlier (boost control, up pipe etc...) which i know nothing about...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A catless DP is not compatible with Cobb maps. If you deviate from the map notes, you can't expect them to support their product. Some cars will overboost. If that's a problem, reach out to them and have them resolve the issue.

EWG puts the wastegate pre-turbo, and offers a larger volume of air to be dumped. This, in turn, allows for more power, and better boost control. It requires custom tuning, and should include aftermarket boost control. To go EWG, you're looking at ~$1000 bill.

If you wan to run EWG that is part of the Uppipe selection. A popular choice for this is Grimmspeed though many companies make them with the bung for the EWG.

I would also recommend them for the gaskets. Importimageracing sells a Grimmspeed gasket kit for a turbo swap. I would just do them all if you plan to do the Uppipe as well as you'll have it all apart.

Have you read the FAQ the was posted early in this thread?

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks man... so if I buy a invidia catted down pipe. can i install it myself, and then run the stage 2 map from the ap? Will i need to buy a gasket aswell?

Will it fit on the stock exhaust? Do I need anything else like as someone said earlier (boost control, up pipe etc...) which i know nothing about...

Thanks!
    That would be sufficient for the Cobb map. If there are issues, you can reach out to them to resolve them.

A downpipe isn't too difficult. It typically takes me an hour or two to do an install (which includes beer breaks with whoever I'm working with). You'll need a new turbo/downpipe gasket (get this from your local dealership). When utilizing the stock exhaust, you'll need an adapter (GrimmSpeed sells them); the adapter has a 3" flat flange where you can use a typical 3" gasket (GS sells these, as well), and reuse your stock 2.5" donut gasket on the other side.

UNYSOC

Ok cool. Would you mind copying and pasting the links on what i should order? Where should I get the Downpipe from? And is the invidia the cheapest option for a catted dp?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    That would be sufficient for the Cobb map. If there are issues, you can reach out to them to resolve them.

A downpipe isn't too difficult. It typically takes me an hour or two to do an install (which includes beer breaks with whoever I'm working with). You'll need a new turbo/downpipe gasket (get this from your local dealership). When utilizing the stock exhaust, you'll need an adapter (GrimmSpeed sells them); the adapter has a 3" flat flange where you can use a typical 3" gasket (GS sells these, as well), and reuse your stock 2.5" donut gasket on the other side.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok cool. Would you mind copying and pasting the links on what i should order? Where should I get the Downpipe from? And is the invidia the cheapest option for a catted dp?

Thanks
    Invidia is a good option; it's not the cheapest (cheaper options may have fitment issues), but it'd be the least expensive option I'd recommend.

From what I talked about:
    GrimmSpeed
    GrimmSpeed

Call your dealership about the turbo/downpipe gasket. They'll know what to order.

UNYSOC

Don't want to Hi-jack this thread but have a question.. If i were to go catless DP and run COBB OTS stage 2 map until I have the extra money to get a pro-tune (roughly 4 weeks) do I run the risk of damaging the engine if I don't "race" it.

That is a good question... anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno10rex View Post
    Don't want to Hi-jack this thread but have a question.. If i were to go catless DP and run COBB OTS stage 2 map until I have the extra money to get a pro-tune (roughly 4 weeks) do I run the risk of damaging the engine if I don't "race" it.

I Support ClubWRX

A question for Cobb; it's their map after all.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Damn.. I'm not even going to start on this one.

You guys say you don't mean to thread jack...but you are.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast