Needing a new DP

This is a discussion on Needing a new DP within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I'm eventually gunna get a new turbo set and got two questions for you. 1. What DP would ...

Needing a new DP

Hey everyone, I'm eventually gunna get a new turbo set and got two questions for you.
    1. What DP would you recomend? (for under$175) and how hard/safe would it be to do it my self(not being a huge car guy, but pretty handy)?
    2. Also, I've heard a lot of mix opions about the vf-39 vs the 16G. What do you guys like more? Whats the difference?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    1) the cheapest one that you can purchase. It's a steel tube, and when you go to sell the car, you'll want to put the stock downpipe on anyways.
    2) there are 5 16g's that I know of... you'll have to specify. td05 16g, Big 16g, Evo 16g, 16g xt, and 16g XTR.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What car?

I'm guessing 2002 WRX? In that case you can go catless.. depending on your local emissions regulations.

Sinister; So just buying a $50 one on ebay isnt sketchy at all? and sorry forgot to mention, the TD05

MainFrame; yeah its a 02. I live in WA.

Sinister; So just buying a $50 one on ebay isnt sketchy at all? and sorry forgot to mention, the TD05

You get what you pay for. The DP is one of the key pieces of the system and should be something that will handle the high heat without issues, especially cracking around the flange. It should have a thick flange 1/2" thick with good welds onto the tubing. Making one yourself wouldn't be terribly hard other than getting all of the angles right. You'll need a good tube bender and welder, as well as cutting tools to make the flange.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02wrx123 View Post

I'm going to disagree that the DP is one of the "key pieces". It's a stainless steel tube after the turbo. If it were before the turbo, I'd agree. And cracks in the downpipe are not nearly as common as header cracks.

I'm not sure about ebay pipes fitment... But ERZ and Invidia are both cheap, and have a reputation for good fitment. Look at those.
    ERZ Version 2 02-07 Subaru WRX / STI Downpipe

I'd buy ERZ new, or Invidia used. You'll be in the 100-150 range
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I dont really want to spend the time on making a DP. I'm working on other projects for my car. Sinister, I was looking at a DP very similar to that one and the same price. Ill prolly just end up getting one of those and I have a stock exhaust system with no muffler at the end. So it already makes a good rumble. How much louder is that DP going to make it? Also, What do you guys think about the two turbos, TD05 16G or vf-39?

Agree with Sinister. I have a really hard time paying a lot of money for things like intakes, exhausts, and downpipes. I went with a megan racing bellmouth for 100 shipped and it fits perfectly.

Should have bought more wrap though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250368_416089565114480_845451192_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	109907