Quicker Response Faster Car
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Quicker Response Faster Car within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 WRX with a load of mods (327awhp). VF39 turbo 850cc injectors 2.2 Liter Bored WRX motor ...

Quicker Response Faster Car

I have a 2002 WRX with a load of mods (327awhp).

VF39 turbo
    850cc injectors
    2.2 Liter Bored WRX motor
    Grimmspeed Uppipe w/38mm EWG
    Full 3" TBE
    FMIC
    Perrin Intake
    APS Turbo inlet house
    and a bunch of over stuff but those are the relevant ones here.

I drove me friends '07 STi and loved how it just gets up and goes. Torquey all through the rev band especially down low from idle. My WRX however, off the line without launching it my car doesn't get going till 4.5K RPMs. It is a slug in turbo lag. I was wondering was gives the STi that "GO" characteristic. Is it the gearing in the transmission? Is it the AVCS heads? Is it the 2.5L short block? Is it all of those? If I wanted my car to respond better what mod would be best? Is AVCS going to make a big or rather noticeable difference?

Thanks peeps!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Extra displacement along with AVCS.. You're looking at several thousand dollars to implement AVCS, you would be better off buying a STi.

BTW, where did you get a 2.2L WRX motor? I wasn't aware they ever made a 2.2L for the WRX.

I Support ClubWRX
    You never mentioned what tune you have. Have you pulled logs and checked for any boost leaks/timing issues?

Have you done compression/leakdown checks after the engine build?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    BTW, where did you get a 2.2L WRX motor? I wasn't aware they ever made a 2.2L for the WRX.
    There are 2.2L stroker kits.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

machined 2.0L to 2.2L...I've seen it.

You have the same turbo as an STI (04-06 STIs anyway...the 07 STI VF43 doesn't make any difference in power)...but you won't make the same torque, which is probably the 'get up and go' you are feeling, as an STI since you don't have the 2.5L block.

You're also likely seeing lag due to the pressurization needed for the FMIC. Go back to TMIC.

An 18GXT turbo upgrade with a Processwest or comparable TMIC would be very nice, and a simple step up considering you already have the injectors (do you have a better fuel pump?)...and of course a proper tune for it all.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

The motor was the compression tested before tuning. There are no boost leaks in the system.

I had a 2L ej20 took it to a machine shop and had it bored to 2.2L.

I have a Walbro 255 fuel pump.

Yeah I'd rethink the FMIC then...what model do you have?

And a turbo upgrade...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

^^^ what he said.

And you need to get some suspension and braking mods asap to support the extra power if you haven't already...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    machined 2.0L to 2.2L...I've seen it.

Wouldn't that remove virtually the entire steel sleeve, leaving the cylinder wall weak as hell? I mean, if you look at the case halves, there is hardly any sleeve there to begin with. I had my ej257 bored from 99.5mm to 100mm (which is as high as you can go without totally ruining the sleeve), and that added practically nill as far as displacement. I know the ej205 has a little thicker sleeve to start with, but nothing near .2L thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    There are 2.2L stroker kits.

The common stroker kit uses an ej257 crank and is only 2.1L..

Wouldn't that remove virtually the entire steel sleeve, leaving the cylinder wall weak as hell? I mean, if you look at the case halves, there is hardly any sleeve there to begin with. I had my ej257 bored from 99.5mm to 100mm (which is as high as you can go without totally ruining the sleeve), and that added practically nill as far as displacement. I know the ej205 has a little thicker sleeve to start with, but nothing near .2L thick.
    I think it had been done with one of the rare fully closed deck blocks though. I thought the EJ205s were only Semi-closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I think it had been done with one of the rare fully closed deck blocks though. I thought the EJ205s were only Semi-closed.

Might you possibly be thinking of the 90s 2.2L Legacy turbo blocks? The ej22t was closed deck, and it was 2.2L from the factory. I've never heard of a closed deck 2L Subaru motor. ej205s are open deck, not semi-closed.

You can take an ej205 and have it bored .2(mm) over.. but that doesn't effectively and any displacement, certainly not two tenths of a liter..

Might you possibly be thinking of the 90s 2.2L Legacy turbo blocks? The ej22t was closed deck, and it was 2.2L from the factory. I've never heard of a closed deck 2L Subaru motor. ej205s are open deck, not semi-closed.

You can take an ej205 and have it bored .2(mm) over.. but that doesn't effectively and any displacement, certainly not two tenths of a liter..
    Yeah I think it is the older Legacy blocks. I know the closed deck blocks were relatively rare. I'd tend to agree more with what you say anyway. You know this stuff better than me.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: Quicker Response Faster Car

I would add some cams and headers to it along with a retune let your tuner know what you want to achieve with the car. You already have a good set of mods I wouldn't change the inter cooler as some suggested, its all in the tune and cams and headers would make more power as well
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    I would add some cams and headers to it along with a retune let your tuner know what you want to achieve with the car. You already have a good set of mods I wouldn't change the inter cooler as some suggested, its all in the tune and cams and headers would make more power as well

$4000 is a lot to spend on a car with a vf turbo just to pick up a little response time. And any aftermarket cam choice would only result in less low end grunt. The only cams he could switch to that wouldn't further kill the car's lack of torque below 4000rpm would be STi cams, and the only gain there would be after 4500rpm. Even doing headers would probably push the powerband further to the right, which is the opposite of what he's wanting.

If we're talking about those amounts of money, why not build a 2.6L stroker with an ej257 block and put a Blouch 16g on it? That would actually help low end torque, although the 16g would choke like mad up top.. but that doesn't seem to be the OPs concern.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 11-27-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast