Stock WRX intercooler and hot climates
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock WRX intercooler and hot climates within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does living in a hotter climate significantly effect the cooling capability of the stock WRX intercooler. I've seen a number ...

Stock WRX intercooler and hot climates

Does living in a hotter climate significantly effect the cooling capability of the stock WRX intercooler. I've seen a number of posts where people say the stock unit is good up to 300 whp, but does that number decrease in a hotter climate?

I live in Texas and we spend a large part of the year above 90F and even a few months in the 100's. Will this have an effect? Will I hit a wall lower than 300whp on the stock TMIC?

Along the same lines, will a turbo heat shield help? Or is that completely unrelated?

I've done a number of searches on this and can't find a definitive answer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Stock TMIC will limit you, regardless of situation, in how well it cools the intake charge. The hotter the ambient temp, the more inefficient the stock TMIC is. The big problem is that the IAT sensor is in the MAF on a stock car, so it doesn't accurately represent how the stock unit works. An aftermarket unit will have a lower pressure drop and cool the charge better. It's absolutely worth the money invested, if you adjust the tune accordingly.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

EJ257 is on the money. I currently live in the High Desert area in California, where temps in the summer reach 115 and up for the better part of the summer. I have the stock TMIC and was running an Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune and I will tell you what, when the temps are up, you can tell that the car isn't as happy as it could be. If/when you go with an aftermarket IC, make sure to check the internal fin density, as it affects the intercooler's ability to efficiently cool the compressed air passing through it. I have two that aren't the greatest, but were cheap(I like to tinker and test parts just to see how well they perform). I think the best TMIC for the money is the Process West unit. I have heard no bad remarks about them whatsoever, other than up-front price. But it is well worth the money spent.
    Patrick
    2002 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl

Re: Stock WRX intercooler and hot climates

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Stock TMIC will limit you, regardless of situation, in how well it cools the intake charge. The hotter the ambient temp, the more inefficient the stock TMIC is. The big problem is that the IAT sensor is in the MAF on a stock car, so it doesn't accurately represent how the stock unit works. An aftermarket unit will have a lower pressure drop and cool the charge better. It's absolutely worth the money invested, if you adjust the tune accordingly.
    Hey Matt, kinda off topic but you wouldn't happen to know how much the throttle body coolant affects intake temp would you?

Edit: fixed for bad grammer.

Posted from a fone.
    Last edited by UEDan; 11-23-2012 at 01:10 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    Hey Matt, kinda off topic but you wouldn't happen to know how much the throttle body coolant on actual intake temp would you?
    Not following, bud.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Hey Matt, kinda off topic but you wouldn't happen to know how much the throttle body coolant on actual intake temp would you?

Posted from a fone.
    Impossible to tell unless you mount a IAT sensor in the intake manifold. Not many do in the name of just gathering data for the TB coolant mod.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Stock WRX intercooler and hot climates

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Impossible to tell unless you mount a IAT sensor in the intake manifold. Not many do in the name of just gathering data for the TB coolant mod.
    OT.. But I have thought about running the coolant to my ewg as opposed to the throttle body. Gotta dig into it a bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    OT.. But I have thought about running the coolant to my ewg as opposed to the throttle body. Gotta dig into it a bit more.
    Another WTF project it sounds like...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Those are two completely different reasons. It is done to the throttlebody to heat it so in sub-zero weather the throttlebody does not freeze shut. For the EWG it is done to help remove heat from it to prolong valve/componant life.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.