Short Ram vs Cold Air Intake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Short Ram vs Cold Air Intake within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the forums, despite being an avid reader for a few years now. I figured ...

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the forums, despite being an avid reader for a few years now. I figured since I picked up a 2012 WRX I'd have to finally join!

Anyway, as the title suggests, I'm looking into getting an intake for the car. I'm unsure which route to go, as both short ram and cold air intakes have their pros and cons. I know the power gain from the CAI is supposed to be a bit more, but I wanted to know if it was worth the risk. Is the short ram a more reasonable alternative?

Could anyone offer some insight, and possibly some too notch brands to look into as well? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmm, honestly I don't think any kind of intake would be best at stock power levels. My tuner once told me that Subaru did a really good job at designing an intake and unless you are pushing alot of power you don't really need one. I do have a short ram intake, I couldn't really tell you if it makes a difference though...is there a reason why you want to start with an intake?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Subaru did a really good job at designing an intake and unless you are pushing alot of power you don't really need one.
    This, with the qualifier that the 3rd gens do seem to be more responsive to intakes than the older cars. For an otherwise stock car, though, I'd get a Stage 1 tune to start.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by SubieDoo0531 View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the forums, despite being an avid reader for a few years now. I figured since I picked up a 2012 WRX I'd have to finally join!

Anyway, as the title suggests, I'm looking into getting an intake for the car. I'm unsure which route to go, as both short ram and cold air intakes have their pros and cons. I know the power gain from the CAI is supposed to be a bit more, but I wanted to know if it was worth the risk. Is the short ram a more reasonable alternative?

Could anyone offer some insight, and possibly some too notch brands to look into as well? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Steve
    changing the intake may skew your maf causing you to run lean or rich so best to get a tune right after,

short ram-

pros- slightly quicker spool
    - may be a little louder ( depending on intake)
    - easy installation

cons- sucks hot engine bay air
    - power loss due to compensation of different temps , i know people were after thy install there short ram in hot days siiting in traffic it feels like it has no low end power and the temps arent that stable

cai-
    pros- cool air from the gaurd
    - stable temps
    - higher power output

cons- due to some,location beware of water entering
    - spool not as quick (although it will still be abit quicker than stock box)

remember the stock air box is effeceint uptoo 300- 320 whp or so

these stats are fro what i know do abit more research to figure out what you really want brands i not to familiar with your model but checkout some sights and youtube to see how some sound hope this helped

I Support ClubWRX
    Lord............this is a topic that has been beat to death on every single Subaru forum.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

My apologies if it has been beaten to death here. I assure you I did some research for a thread before I decided to post. I genuinely appreciate everyone's response and will gladly take that intake money and reinvest it elsewhere. Thanks again for your input everyone!

-Steve

I Support ClubWRX
    Steve, have you thought about what you're going to do for engine management yet? That'd be the first thing to do before any other engine mod.

That being said the 3rd gen cars are, in fact, pretty responsive to aftermarket intakes compared to the older models so an intake could still be a viable consideration. I've heard nothing but good reviews about the AEM CAI. Cobb seems to make a decent intake with an airbox as well but some people don't like the oiled filter. With a turbo in the stock location, most will advise you not to go for a short-ram.

I, myself will probably get an AEM later but my next objectives once I hit 30,000 miles are a downpipe and a Stage 2 tune. Then I'll consider an intake.

Again, I will say that none of these bolt-ons are advisable unless you've got some engine management ready to go. Just keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Ying; 11-13-2012 at 05:52 AM.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Ying, thanks so much for your input. To be quite honest I haven't really thought much through yet. I was just feeling around for possible mods, so I just figured for the sake of funds around this time of year, an intake was a decent option but I'm glad I brought it here to the forums for opinions and I was steered in the right direction.

I got the AEM, I am careful in the rain... careful in the sense that I don't hit big puddles on the right side. The AEM is really a good fit though and once you install you, you will see how it would be next to impossible to flood the CAI unless it was submerged. It has also been shown that it must be submerged in almost all cases in order for it to cause any sort of engine issue.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I got the AEM, I am careful in the rain... careful in the sense that I don't hit big puddles on the right side. The AEM is really a good fit though and once you install you, you will see how it would be next to impossible to flood the CAI unless it was submerged. It has also been shown that it must be submerged in almost all cases in order for it to cause any sort of engine issue.
    I'd assume you also have a BPV installed as well?

I'd assume you also have a BPV installed as well?
    The stock one.... why do I need that when i'm not pushing that much boost or it's not leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    The stock one.... why do I need that when i'm not pushing that much boost or it's not leaking?
    It almost eliminates the chance for hydro-lock in the event your intake filter becomes submerged in water. From what I've read, it's almost a necessity if you get a CAI.

Check it out
    http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm

It almost eliminates the chance for hydro-lock in the event your intake filter becomes submerged in water. From what I've read, it's almost a necessity if you get a CAI.

Check it out
    AEM Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air Intakes - Prevents Hydro-lock
    actually never heard that once tbh.

I Support ClubWRX

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I got tuned last month and tuner said biggest restriction to my setup was stock tmic and stock intake. He wan't specific on CAI or short ram.
    2012 WRB WRX
    EQ Tuned 250whp/ 300wtq
    Cobb AP
    Invidia catless DP
    Magnaflow 3" CBE
    DW Fuel Pump
    Hallman Pro RX MBC

I Support ClubWRX

Check it out
    AEM Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air Intakes - Prevents Hydro-lock
    Clearly says in the description "The AEM Air Bypass Valve is NOT for use on forced induction vehicles."
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast