2011 WRX - 300WHP wanted. best mods to achieve power? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX - 300WHP wanted. best mods to achieve power? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ooooook ok ok ok... Dang here i thought i had it all figured out haha...The guy at AMS i talked ...

ooooook ok ok ok...

Dang here i thought i had it all figured out haha...The guy at AMS i talked to was saying it might be best to get the AP and tune from there... So what he meant was use an AP map as a base then fine tune that map using whatever software they have...?

Side question...i was reading a great article the other day about twin scroll turbo chargers... does my WRX utilize the twin scroll system?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycoop2586 View Post
    ooooook ok ok ok...

Dang here i thought i had it all figured out haha...The guy at AMS i talked to was saying it might be best to get the AP and tune from there... So what he meant was use an AP map as a base then fine tune that map using whatever software they have...?

Side question...i was reading a great article the other day about twin scroll turbo chargers... does my WRX utilize the twin scroll system?
    The AP provides a method to professionally tune a car (or use off the shelf tunes that come with it). Using it as a professional tuning device is similar to using a standalone EMS. After you have the proper software licenses and whatnot, you can create a tune from scratch and lock it down so others can't change/view it. So on the right track at least.

Nope, no twin scroll system. Your manifold combines the exhaust pulses way back farther than the turbo - actually in the exhaust manifold before it gets to the uppipe. An equal length manifold will get you closer to many of the perks of a twin scroll system. Due to the length of the path from the engine to the turbine in our cars, however, gains from going twin scroll are supposedly nominal. The large trade off being is that you limit yourself to a smaller turbo selection with twin scroll. Much of the newer turbo technology used in 'single scroll' turbos outweighs the gains of going with a twin scroll. The billet compressor wheel found in many of the newer Blouch turbos is a good example of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

No, USDM Subarus do not come stock with any kind of Twin Scroll turbos.

As for open source, now that i know what it is...i'd prefer to stay away from that. In my experience a flash is a general tune and i would much rather a tune specific to my car... Would you consider access port maps "open source tunes" since they are general maps NOT dialed in for one specific car?
    As an huge supporter for OS tuning I must defend it's honor. OS tuning is specific for your car, all the while it also supports other cars.
    A flash is exactly what the Access Port(exact same thing as OS) does, it reflashes your car's ECU with the little hand held device. The data in the flash or map is what tunes your car.
    Opensource, like in the computer world means it is freely editable. When a tuner sends your an eTune via OS you yourself are able to edit the tuning tables within the flash.
    With an AP unless your tuner left the flash unlocked you can't edit the tables =(

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    nope, open source tuning is exactly as it sounds. Look up RomRaider or EcuFlash or Tactrix. They allow you to flash your ECU and make changes using opensource software and hardware. Much cheaper alternative, but has its drawbacks.
    Biggest drawback, instead of a little hand held unit we use our laptops:

Paul Walker got nothing on me. Stage 1 complete.

ooooook ok ok ok...

Just to clarify, opensource and the AP are just different tools or means of doing the same thing. Some people prefer opensource because its cheaper and gives more freedom to the user. Some prefer the Cobb AP because of the features and ease of use. Both will allow you to get a customized tune, it just depends on what you/your tuner prefers.

Twin scrolls are cool for sure and I've been reading a good bit about them recently as well. No, your wrx does not utilize one, but I believe the JDM STi does. That's quite a different motor altogether though. I have seen some really nice low/mid range torque numbers come out of these engines with good parts and a good tune. I don't think you would notice too much more with a similar flowing twinscroll (if they make them), except you would probably get some more top end power. The exhaust configuration is pretty different so there would be a good amount of things to change to make it work. There's a few people on nasioc.com with them if you want to see how they've done on Subarus.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Biggest drawback, instead of a little hand held unit we use our laptops
    I only have to use mine when flashing. The laptop normally stays tucked in the passenger seat pocket. For logging, I use a microSD card =).

Didn't intend to bash OS tuning here by any means. As you can see, I actually use OS tuning. It's a powerful tool when used.

I recommended the Cobb AP given the grounds that I believe a pro tune would best suit the original poster. Most pro tuners utilize a Cobb AP for various reasons. One reason that is normally faulted is to protect their intellectual property. A commonly overlooked reason is that the Cobb AP allows you to make temporary changes to your tune without reflashing your car (real time changes) - making it significantly faster to dyno tune a given car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

great info guys, thanks to all!
    I had an accessport for my cooper s so i know how it all generally works but i am obviously far from being an expert. I didn't want to go the AP rout this time around because i had some real issues with my cooper after installing the accessport (yes i was running the correct map for my mods). So hopefully this time around with the AP, upgraded fuel pump, and a professional tuner will keep me outta trouble!

thanks again fellas!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.