Long and boring story - but a quick question about my 02

This is a discussion on Long and boring story - but a quick question about my 02 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Long story: Owned my 2002 wrx in silver since brand new - put 120k loving miles with 3k mile mobil ...

Long and boring story - but a quick question about my 02

Long story:

Owned my 2002 wrx in silver since brand new - put 120k loving miles with 3k mile mobil 1 oil changes and all regular scheduled, timing belt, clutch, etc... All perfect. Well, about 6 months ago someone in a POS minivan sideswiped it. Insurance company totaled it. So of course, I love my car so I ended up getting it back and having a friend do the bodywork... She's salvaged and I've spent almost all the money from the totalling just getting her back to shape. And she looks pretty mint. I was keeping her as a "original condition" but with a salvage title, it's pointless. So, I used to say I would never do any mods but now I'm no longer 'collecting' this car - its worth taking a look....

Quick question:
    I have it in fully stock condition - and I've been told of stage 1 or 2 options that will yield pretty significant improvements in power. But I've always felt that the one thing lacking in the car is the brakes. When they get hot they're worthless - in my opinion... so:

Let's just say you had a reasonably tight budget, like $4k or so.. what upgrades would you specifically do. forget about cosmetics, I just want more power, and better performance and handling...

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Where do you live?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by jamesurq View Post
    Long story:

Owned my 2002 wrx in silver since brand new - put 120k loving miles with 3k mile mobil 1 oil changes and all regular scheduled, timing belt, clutch, etc... All perfect. Well, about 6 months ago someone in a POS minivan sideswiped it. Insurance company totaled it. So of course, I love my car so I ended up getting it back and having a friend do the bodywork... She's salvaged and I've spent almost all the money from the totalling just getting her back to shape. And she looks pretty mint. I was keeping her as a "original condition" but with a salvage title, it's pointless. So, I used to say I would never do any mods but now I'm no longer 'collecting' this car - its worth taking a look....

Quick question:
    I have it in fully stock condition - and I've been told of stage 1 or 2 options that will yield pretty significant improvements in power. But I've always felt that the one thing lacking in the car is the brakes. When they get hot they're worthless - in my opinion... so:

Let's just say you had a reasonably tight budget, like $4k or so.. what upgrades would you specifically do. forget about cosmetics, I just want more power, and better performance and handling...

Thanks!
    want more power? turbo upgrade, tune,injectors and pump, depending on wich turbo you get you might still have money left over for brakes, if you want brake upgrade ive heard braided break lines and a hd support bracket of the master cylinder helps alot alot of ways you can go just as long you have time and $$ to do it

Look into the H6 brake upgrade. SS lines, good brake fluid and a master cylinder brace with some good pads will be a good step up. Downpipe and uppipe with a pro-tune will truly change you car. You would still have lots of money left over for some more mods.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Hmmmm... Bone stock 02.... $4k budget.

1) Wheels and tires.... say.... $1500??? Not el-cheapos, but not top of the line either. You could order a nice looking set of Rotas with from Wheeldude for about $1000 if you wanted to stay cost efficient.
    2) Used red 06-07 4-pot brake setup w/ rotors.... maybe $700 - $800.
    3) Springs... pick your poison - $300
    4) Sways and endlinks - $500
    5) Cobb Accessport - $700.

That comes pretty close to $4k. But..... you're already setup for an exhausy upgrade down the road... flash stage 2 on your AP.... then you're looking at pretty decent power upgrades.

Thats what I would do.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Where do you live?
    Greensboro, NC

Thanks folks. Good advice from all.

Advice on the Cobb Accessport? I was told that there are cheaper non-Cobb options?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesurq View Post
    Thanks folks. Good advice from all.

Advice on the Cobb Accessport? I was told that there are cheaper non-Cobb options?
    Depends...they are an easy plug and play option with generalized Stage 1 and Stage 2 maps, that are specific to the map notes, particularly specific parts.

However, you could take the $600 it costs for an AP, and use $400 of that for a protune, which would be specific for your car, your mods, and your environment. Best bet for performance.

Or, you can use something like a Torqued Performance map for $100, which you load using free software (ECUFlash, Open ECU, etc...) on a laptop, and a $150 Tactrix Openport 2.0 cable.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying