Downpipes with/for a catalytic converter

This is a discussion on Downpipes with/for a catalytic converter within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I want to get the whole Up, Down & Cat Back system for my '04 WRX Problem is, 100% of ...

I want to get the whole Up, Down & Cat Back system for my '04 WRX

Problem is, 100% of the Downpipes that I've found, eliminate the Catalytic Converter, which would make my car an "off road" car only... illegal, I live in PA and we NEED an annual inspection so I'm not going to risk putting one on anyways.

So my question is, is there any Down Pipes with Cats? or is that the point of the Down Pipe, to eliminate the Cat? I want the rumble that the boxer engine has muffled by the stock pipes you know?

BTW love my WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Downpipes remove/replace the catalytic converters, which means that the vehicle is no longer street legal, since no aftermarket company uses "OE-replacement" level catalysts.

If you want to keep your car street legal, you're limited to the catback.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

Not sure how hard you've been looking, but there are tons of manufacturers out there with catted downpipes for 02-07.

Invidia, Cobb, Perrin, DaddySCCP, TurboXS, etc all offer catted downpipes. I have a Cobb catted downpipe myself. You can expect to spend a good $200 or so for a catted downpipe vs an otherwise identical catless downpipe.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Re: Downpipes with/for a catalytic converter

Buy catless downpipe, keep oem downpipe. Switch every year prior to inspection..... damn every year, even as green as CA is, we don't do that.

Posted from a fone.

I Support ClubWRX
    I support the use of catalytic converters, for what it's worth. If -- if! -- you can pass with a catted downpipe installed, I'd go for that no question. I'd keep the OEM unit just in case anyway though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Also depends on where you get inspected. Are they big on visual inspections? Believe it or not, a lot of catless exhausts can pass the sniffer test. As long as your ECU monitors are in a "ready" state, you'll pass the OBDII portion.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

PA doesn't require a sniffer anyways.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

go to Google type "catted down pipe 2004 wrx"

also if you have a stock exhaust and add an aftermarket DP you wont improve you sound much... you need to replace the parts after the cat for the rumble.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Not sure how hard you've been looking, but there are tons of manufacturers out there with catted downpipes for 02-07.

Invidia, Cobb, Perrin, DaddySCCP, TurboXS, etc all offer catted downpipes. I have a Cobb catted downpipe myself. You can expect to spend a good $200 or so for a catted downpipe vs an otherwise identical catless downpipe.
    Do you mind throwing me a link? I can't find one with a cat for that price for the life of me

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    go to Google type "catted down pipe 2004 wrx"

also if you have a stock exhaust and add an aftermarket DP you wont improve you sound much... you need to replace the parts after the cat for the rumble.
    Ah thanks for the key words, and yeah I knew that, I just wanted the whole sha-bang up,down, cat you know? I didn't want to get all the parts separately.

Every search result I find shows nothing but DP's that... wait, here's the quote , "Because this product replaces/removes an OEM emissions control device we must state that this product is for offroad use only."

Is this just BS the manufacturers slap on the description to cover their own asses? Like when they say, "we highly recommend Professional installation."

If so then I'm golden right? I can just buy a DP and pass the emission's test for inspection with said DP?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Messing with anything that has to do with factory emissions control is against federal law, whether the aftermarket downpipe has a cat in it or not, unless you're replacing it with an identical OEM downpipe, you're breaking the law.

It's not really BS, they are obligated to tell you the product is illegal to use on public roads.. but I would venture to say most of us are law breakers here.

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post

Is this just BS the manufacturers slap on the description to cover their own asses?
    It's a true statement.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Every search result I find shows nothing but DP's that... wait, here's the quote , "Because this product replaces/removes an OEM emissions control device we must state that this product is for offroad use only."

Is this just BS the manufacturers slap on the description to cover their own asses? Like when they say, "we highly recommend Professional installation."

If so then I'm golden right? I can just buy a DP and pass the emission's test for inspection with said DP?
    That all depends on your state and how lax they are with testing. Perhaps you could get by emissions testing, however it is still technically federally illegal to change anything having to do with emissions on a car. But I am running catless and I know I will probably be able to pass NJ emissions since they don't do visual or sniffer. They just plug into the ECU and as long as that is in a ready state, I'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It's a true statement.
    Very true. But yes, it also is so they cover their asses.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Okay thanks guys I've decided to buy a Down Pipe, screw 'em. Worst comes to worst I'll just swap between the OEM and AM DP before and after the annual inspection, besides, the swap is pretty simple looking, Thanks dudes!