Questions on stage 2 upgrade (downpipe/ap) - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions on stage 2 upgrade (downpipe/ap) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Via YouTube it's very difficult to tell but it seems throaty. The cars are quite quiet stock so I do ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Via YouTube it's very difficult to tell but it seems throaty. The cars are quite quiet stock so I do think it's deeper and louder -- but again, only in person is it easy to tell.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry to but am I reading that catless can in fact be tuned out completely without going EWG or polishing? I have had numerous conversations with some friends around my area about this. I was originally going catless until contacting Torqued performance and Socal and Plano Cobb. They basically said I will have boost creep and pushed catted. I was also told that if I went with a intake (which I have, no performance reasons, just wanted sound) and with a 3" exhaust I am basically set up for prime creep issues. My friend on the other hand said he had the exact opposite reaction, pushed towards catless. I am in a 2013 WRX and my friend is in a 2013 STI.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jilty
    Sorry to but am I reading that catless can in fact be tuned out completely without going EWG or polishing?
    Tuning is a software fix. Wastegate modifications (going external or porting) is a mechanical fix.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    i was told by my tuner that it can be tuned out. i had boost creep on mine and im testing to see if it was resolved after my last tune
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

So in other words, a Tuner cannot actually eliminate the creep as it is a mechanical problem on an 08+, correct?

I'm sorry if I am coming off very uninformed and noobish on the issue, as I am very very new to this whole thing and I am trying to understand and research.
    Last edited by jilty; 12-16-2012 at 07:17 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx
    i was told by my tuner that it can be tuned out. i had boost creep on mine and im testing to see if it was resolved after my last tune
    There is likely some kind of miscommunication going on. Boost creep is a mechanical problem. Boost spikes are a tuning problem. You can tune out boost spikes, you can't tune out boost creep.

Quote Originally Posted by jilty
    So in other words, a Tuner cannot actually eliminate the creep as it is a mechanical problem on an 08+, correct?
    Boost creep is a mechanical problem, period. It's not based on model year.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Questions on stage 2 upgrade (downpipe/ap)

Quote Originally Posted by jilty View Post
    Sorry to but am I reading that catless can in fact be tuned out completely without going EWG or polishing? I have had numerous conversations with some friends around my area about this. I was originally going catless until contacting Torqued performance and Socal and Plano Cobb. They basically said I will have boost creep and pushed catted. I was also told that if I went with a intake (which I have, no performance reasons, just wanted sound) and with a 3" exhaust I am basically set up for prime creep issues. My friend on the other hand said he had the exact opposite reaction, pushed towards catless. I am in a 2013 WRX and my friend is in a 2013 STI.
    Did you read this thread? As matt reiterated for about the tenth time in this thread alone, a tune will not fix boost creep. If it does, it wasn't boost creep.. It was a crappy tune.

Multiple conversations will not change the facts...
    -You won't know for certain whether or not your car will creep normally until you try it.
    -if it is boost creep, your waste gate is not allowing enough air through it when open.
    -to fix this, either get a bigger waste gate or reduce back pressure on the existing one.
    -or, set your target boost higher than it should be and pretend like you are teh bestest tuner evar. Don't actually do this.

Sorry to be short on the subject, but it has been explained in pretty large detail already in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Yeah!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yeah!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yeah!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Got the Q300 today and put it on. Sounds much better! I'll get a sound clip and pics up soon.
    pauller
    2013 Stage 2 SWP WRX Sedan
    Invidia Q300 Ti Tip-Tomei 3in Catless Downpipe- Cobb AP w/ Stage 2+ 93 Map-Cobb SF Intake

Like they said, it's a mechanical issue. Sure it can be band-aid-ed by using a LWG map but it's still going to be there. On the other hand, not everybody has it. Many people, like myself, run catless and have no issues. I think it's worth a try going catless but catted is definitely safer.
    pauller
    2013 Stage 2 SWP WRX Sedan
    Invidia Q300 Ti Tip-Tomei 3in Catless Downpipe- Cobb AP w/ Stage 2+ 93 Map-Cobb SF Intake

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by pauller View Post
    Like they said, it's a mechanical issue. Sure it can be band-aid-ed by using a LWG map but it's still going to be there. On the other hand, not everybody has it. Many people, like myself, run catless and have no issues. I think it's worth a try going catless but catted is definitely safer.
    I'd agree with a lot of that. Keep in mind though, it isn't just a question of if you have it or not many times.

I'd put a gamble out there that if you are catless in the newer models your boost control is suffering a good bit, regardless if you aren't having over boost issues. My issues were more involved with peak torque boost control than at red line. Even with a lot of tweaking... I still had random spikes that I couldn't get tuned out.

Even if you do have minor boost creep issues, it won't explode your engine most likely if considered during the tune. It's just not ideal. Inconsistent boost control really does put a damper on our cars though. It's amazing how even a flutter of a psi or two can change the feel of the car.

That being said, with the newer models, I would recommend going catted to the general person to put a bit of back pressure on the turbine. If you are considering switching turbos or going EWG... I'd ditch it for a variety of reasons.

Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by pauller View Post
    I definitely see where you guys are coming from and maybe I'm just weird. I've never really been a fan of baggy pants personally but to each his own.

Now, back on topic, I put the stock mufflers back on and it sounds a lot better; like stock but a little louder. The video I made doesn't really do justice though.

Tomei 3in Catless Downpipe (2013 WRX) - YouTube
    Stock exhaust with catless downpipe sounds really good. Does anyone know it it will sound similar with a catted downpipe?
    Everything happens for a reason

Questions on stage 2 upgrade (downpipe/ap)

To me stock exhaust and catless dp sounds the same, maybe a very tiny bit diff. But an aftermarket catted dp and stock exhaust will sound like stock I guarantee it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast