What to look for in a TMIC??

This is a discussion on What to look for in a TMIC?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok. I have an 03 WRX and I am about to put on a VF30 Turbo, ID1000 injectors, STI uppipe, ...

What to look for in a TMIC??

Ok. I have an 03 WRX and I am about to put on a VF30 Turbo, ID1000 injectors, STI uppipe, AEM Truboost, Cobb air intake, silicone turbo inlet, and I have aftermarket tubo back exhaust... I am wanting to put a bigger TMIC on while I am doing this. I am looking online and seeing some for $900+ and some for $130. So what is the difference here? What do I want to look for? What makes the biggest difference? I would really like to find an STI one and be done with it. Any help our there?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The difference is the cheap ones are cheap and you shouldn't put them on your car. The best one I'd recommend is the Process West. It's not cheap, but it's what you need/want. The only other option I'd consider is getting a used STI intercooler if you want to save yourself $600. It's not going to cool nearly as well as the PW unit, but it'll still definitely be an upgrade over your current one, and it's not a bad match for a VF30 turbo since that's not that big of a turbo.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    The difference is in cooling. The cheapest TMIC you should consider (new prices) is the TurboXS (which is the one all the knockoffs copied). The knockoffs provide a lower pressure drop, but don't cool worth a damn.

STI TMIC will have a similar pressure drop to your OE TMIC, but will cool a little bit better (with the proper splitter). A quality TMIC will have a lower pressure drop (better spool / response), and will cool better (allowing you to run a more aggressive map with the same safety margin).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Try to find an STi one in your area, I was super patient and was able to scoop one up for $150 with the ypipe.

To add to this, I wanted to say that I had talked to Michael @ ETS, and he said they have a TMIC they are going to start working on for the WRX... they already have the STI one of course.

This was for the gen 3 WRX's though and I just realized that the OP's is an 03.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune