EL Header comparison
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on EL Header comparison within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im looking for the best bang for my buck on an equal length header. I cant find anything in any ...

EL Header comparison

Im looking for the best bang for my buck on an equal length header. I cant find anything in any of the forums that compares most of the brands together, just bragging that they love theirs. Sound is not a concern for me, Im really just looking for the best EL header without spending a fortune and I want it to last. The Killer B header looks unbelievable but again, 1400 - 1700 is way more than I want to spend. I have an 02 that is currently getting a stroker build, anyone have any comps between EL headers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There used to be a header comparison, but most of them were UEL, and most of the info is gone now. It takes a lot of money/time/work to do back to back comparisons like that, so most people don't bother.

I can tell you the Perrin ELH I have is well designed, and the build quality is top notch. For the price I doubt you could find a better performing header that will last.

Of course without knowing the details of the rest of your build it's impossible to give an informed recommendation. For instance, ETS also makes a high quality piece, but their ELH had 2" primaries.. which is HUGE. If you're running a massive turbo like a HTA3794 then it would be great for top end, but if you're running a small turbo like an 18g then it's just going to kill your spool. The interior diameter of the Perrin header is small enough to run with a VF turbo, and just large enough not to choke a 35r.

There also some good TS header/uppipes out there.. but if the Killer B header is out of your price range then I would assume TS isn't an option.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: EL Header comparison

What turbo you planning to run? Choose headers for the turbo for best results.

Without that information, on the cheaper end of the spectrum, I would say either the Perrin or Invidia headers are your best bet.

Before you install, take the time to tap the #4 runner for EGT and wrap them (I like the DEI Lava Rock stuff).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    ..take the time to tap the #4 runner for EGT and wrap them (I like the DEI Lava Rock stuff).

Precisely what I did with mine.

I Support ClubWRX
    is wrapping necessary for these? i know some people wrap headers and downpipes, dont know if its helpful or just what people prefer
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Im putting on a smaller Blouch TD05 16GXT with an 8cm housing to match the 3" hard inlet. Im sure any of the smaller I.D. tubing headers would work. I keep hearing that if I go with the larger diameter headers that it will hurt the low end power anyway. So far it looks like its between the Invidia, Perrin, Tomei, or Maddad headers.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by puckthefackers
    Im putting on a smaller Blouch TD05 16GXT with an 8cm housing to match the 3" hard inlet. Im sure any of the smaller I.D. tubing headers would work. I keep hearing that if I go with the larger diameter headers that it will hurt the low end power anyway. So far it looks like its between the Invidia, Perrin, Tomei, or Maddad headers.
    The larger primary headers are for when the turbo exceeds the flow of the headers you have, which will not be the case with your 16G, so you want to avoid those. I'm not a fan of the Tomei/Maddad/GTSpec/Prosport/whatever other company has the same headers, which is why I didn't bring them up last post. I would stick with the Invidia or Perrin headers, and go with an uppipe from Grimmspeed or TurboXS (EWG, if you can afford it).

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx
    is wrapping necessary for these? i know some people wrap headers and downpipes, dont know if its helpful or just what people prefer
    No. However, it helps both with keeping the heat from leaving the exhaust, and helps keep the exhaust from cooling down due to natural wind as you drive (which coatings do not).

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Not to sound too dumb but why do you want the exhaust to stay hot while driving? i understand keeping the heat in so it wont heat soak the intercooler but not keeping them from cooling down a little while driving
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx
    Not to sound too dumb but why do you want the exhaust to stay hot while driving? i understand keeping the heat in so it wont heat soak the intercooler but not keeping them from cooling down a little while driving
    Hotter EGTs flow better than cooler EGTs. You will have better response and it should help slightly in the spool department.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    awesome thanks a lot for the info
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.