Intake issue on a 2013 wrx - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Intake issue on a 2013 wrx within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by vu_tang No, why contact cobb when it clearly states on their web page that any Subaru 2008+ ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vu_tang View Post
    No, why contact cobb when it clearly states on their web page that any Subaru 2008+ with an intake need a tune..

COBB Tuning - Subaru SF Intake and SF Airbox Kit
    Well, if your car isn't pulling right.. apparently something is amiss? I don't understand why you wouldn't contact Cobb about it given the statement above.

Donkey makes a very good point. Asking if Cobb has seen this in the past would probably be the first logical place to start if you didn't have a wb02. Would have taken less time than reading through this thread, and you may even have learned something useful.

EDIT: My apologies - I thought Cobb's site said that you do not need a tune. Sorry!
    Last edited by Heide264; 11-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    All aftermarket intakes for 08+ Subarus require tuning, regardless of manufacturer, in order to ensure the MAF sensor reads properly and the engine operates within safe parameters.

vu_tang... Donkey is suggesting you re-evaluate your statement. It isn't that the "ECU doesn't know what to do with the extra air"
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I am having a similar issue with a stuttering / cutout feeling on occasion when accelerating hard on my stock 2013 WRX with 1500 miles. I took into the dealer and they told me that sounds normal and the car ia learning my driving and if it continues to bring it back in. Does this sound right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
    I am having a similar issue with a stuttering / cutout feeling on occasion when accelerating hard on my stock 2013 WRX with 1500 miles. I took into the dealer and they told me that sounds normal and the car ia learning my driving and if it continues to bring it back in. Does this sound right?
    Do you have the intake that this thread is concerning? I assume not since you said stock. That is not normal, however. Maybe try another dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Do you have the intake that this thread is concerning? I assume not since you said stock. That is not normal, however. Maybe try another dealer.
    No I don't have it, but my thought was maybe he could have had the issue before he installed the intake.

[QUOTE=Fork808;2952151]first of all I am not sure if this is the right spot for this thread, if it isnt please slander me on the internet until the end of time, or till i fix it and put it in the right spot, but if it is the right spot then

So this is whats going on, i just got a new Cobb SF shot ram intake for my 2013 wrx, install went easy but my car does not like the intake at all, at higher RPM's it stutters and runs rough, double checked everything, disconnected the battery during install, so im not sure whats going on. anyone have any ideas? i remember seeing someone saying that if you install anything you should get your ecu tuned to work with it, i didnt think that installing a intake would make my car run that bad ~_~
    mind you my other cars i worked on was a 95 GS-T Eclipse and a 2004 wrx which both took the new intakes like champs. so any help to this issue would be great, thanks all![/QUOTe

If you dont have the accessport it wont run right your tuned to your stock air box and now that you opened it up your air fuel is way off.....do you have an air Fuel Gauge in your car? if not it might be a good idea to get one then you will know exactly where you are at at all times.....do it now and see the comparison before and after you flash the accessport. cobb makes a great tune for that intake already flashable its a preloaded basemap you can also download different basemaps of there sight as well the more you do but will not be as accurate or nearly a consistent as throwing it on a dyno if you can find a tuner with accesstuner pro around your area anyywhere it would even be more consistant....but ya your issue is your ecu you just have to tune it to coincide with whatever you do to the car mechanically... and thats with everything .... including something as simple as an intake or exhaust... especially exhaust thats why you hear some subies pop alot on decels because they dont have it tuned....get yourself a boost/vacc gauge and an airfuel ratio gauge so you can monitor what your car is really doing and just remember when you buy them with gauges you get what you pay for and that includes the readings they are going to give you and how accurate they are...

Holy old thread, Batman.

Tune for any mod, simple as that.

Guessing the OP has figured that out by now, and is enjoying at least Stage 1.

[QUOTE=JustinGlover;3012999]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fork808 View Post
    first of all I am not sure if this is the right spot for this thread, if it isnt please slander me on the internet until the end of time, or till i fix it and put it in the right spot, but if it is the right spot then

So this is whats going on, i just got a new Cobb SF shot ram intake for my 2013 wrx, install went easy but my car does not like the intake at all, at higher RPM's it stutters and runs rough, double checked everything, disconnected the battery during install, so im not sure whats going on. anyone have any ideas? i remember seeing someone saying that if you install anything you should get your ecu tuned to work with it, i didnt think that installing a intake would make my car run that bad ~_~
    mind you my other cars i worked on was a 95 GS-T Eclipse and a 2004 wrx which both took the new intakes like champs. so any help to this issue would be great, thanks all![/QUOTe

If you dont have the accessport it wont run right your tuned to your stock air box and now that you opened it up your air fuel is way off.....do you have an air Fuel Gauge in your car? if not it might be a good idea to get one then you will know exactly where you are at at all times.....do it now and see the comparison before and after you flash the accessport. cobb makes a great tune for that intake already flashable its a preloaded basemap you can also download different basemaps of there sight as well the more you do but will not be as accurate or nearly a consistent as throwing it on a dyno if you can find a tuner with accesstuner pro around your area anyywhere it would even be more consistant....but ya your issue is your ecu you just have to tune it to coincide with whatever you do to the car mechanically... and thats with everything .... including something as simple as an intake or exhaust... especially exhaust thats why you hear some subies pop alot on decels because they dont have it tuned....get yourself a boost/vacc gauge and an airfuel ratio gauge so you can monitor what your car is really doing and just remember when you buy them with gauges you get what you pay for and that includes the readings they are going to give you and how accurate they are...
    Yeaaaaaaaaah...late bump much?

Your information is a bit skewed. Regular A/F gauges are a waste. You don't get anything from a cheapo A/F gauge. You need a Wideband gauge to get any useable info. You do not need to tune for a regular CBE or Axleback. TBE/Downpipe? Most certainly. Intake? Yes...while OTS maps where you follow the map notes are plenty sufficient, you do leave some possible gains on the table as opposed to a full on protune.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

i had the same issue with my 2013 even with a cobb app heres the simple solutions without a protune and jumping into crazy amount of money

1.remove it

2. get the cobb app with a super low wastegate map (only a stage 1)

3. if your running a stage 2 you will overboost somewhere near 19 pound 18 on a slwg youll hit these numbers around 5500 rmps in 4th your 1st through 3rd gear are incredible but 4th and 5th wide open throttles will cause the same issue

4. sell it get a aem or k &N with a slwg and you'll hit around 17 just put a aem on mine tonight did my runs and all great

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 20satinwhite View Post
    3. if your running a stage 2 you will overboost somewhere near 19 pound 18 on a slwg youll hit these numbers around 5500 rmps in 4th your 1st through 3rd gear are incredible but 4th and 5th wide open throttles will cause the same issue
    This depends on the car! Just because your car requires the lower WGDC tables doesn't mean the OP's car will.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123