Subaru WRX Forum banner

Intake issue on a 2013 wrx

19K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  Mikie13 
#1 ·
first of all I am not sure if this is the right spot for this thread, if it isnt please slander me on the internet until the end of time, or till i fix it and put it in the right spot, but if it is the right spot then :thumbup:

So this is whats going on, i just got a new Cobb SF shot ram intake for my 2013 wrx, install went easy but my car does not like the intake at all, at higher RPM's it stutters and runs rough, double checked everything, disconnected the battery during install, so im not sure whats going on. anyone have any ideas? i remember seeing someone saying that if you install anything you should get your ecu tuned to work with it, i didnt think that installing a intake would make my car run that bad ~_~
mind you my other cars i worked on was a 95 GS-T Eclipse and a 2004 wrx which both took the new intakes like champs. so any help to this issue would be great, thanks all!

#41 ·
I have a 2014 wrx sedan Just installed Perrins intake on it with no tune factory ECU setting..No issues.. at any point.I even had it tested by a friend at my dealership and he confirmed it is not running lean and the ecu is reading the increased air just fine no check engine lights no bogging at any interval of the rpm band. I highly recommend this intake because it was designed for the specific purpose to run under the stock ecu setting with no problems...That being said..If I do tune it I will see a larger impact in the sound and performance but it is not mandatory. I believe this as well as the SPT intake from Subaru which you can modify to fit 2012 +wrx cuz they say they don't make ones for the new gen but anyone can modify any intake. Its all about the maf sensor and ecu reading it correctly getting the right signals and temps. ANy other mod or extra mods you should definatle get a tune no q's asked.

#42 ·
Cool bump bro. Good luck running your car untuned. I for one, won't be doing that. I'd tread lightly with posting incorrect and potentially harmful information. Proof that your car is fine? Please provide it to back your claims, considering all other claims state otherwise.

#43 ·
My car doesn't run fine..it runs flawlessly. =) This is according to the Subaru ECU and MAF sensor testing they did to ensure my car wasn't getting the incorrect mixture of oxygen and fuel. The only reason I installed this was because prior to, I asked the head of the maintenance dept and the dealership owner if I, under the warranty rules, could add an intake. They said I could but warned me that unless it was done through Subaru, and the ECU read the correct O2/Fuel ratios, Id have to replace the stock one to keep my warranty. So I bought The Perrin intake ...PSP-INT-322BK., which was installed by a Subaru mechanic. Wow look at that..No check engine light.. No bogging, running lean, or weird feelings from the throttle at any time through any gear..ever. Who knows maybe Im just one of the liucky ones. or it could be that it was installed correctly ..the first time by a professional. =) There aren't many intakes that are compatible, but my experience with this one is proof that it can work. That's all Im sayin. Thnx

#45 ·
? Im sure the dealer has it. Should I try to get it? I just wanted to ensure my warranty wouldn't be void and the mechanic said " All systems were functioning the way they are supposed to and that if anything changes or any lights come on, bring your wrx back in with the stock airbox because replacement of the factory intake would then be necessary. but for now theres no issues". He also said that the specific diameter and placement of the MAF sensor was the key to setting up an intake that works with no tune. He also told me that the gain in power is going to be minimal at best but the sound is much better. Only a tune after the warranty is up, will give significant gains in hp. soi He advised me to wait to do any major upgrades.

#46 ·
dt3v3wrxyz said:
? Im sure the dealer has it. Should I try to get it? I just wanted to ensure my warranty wouldn't be void and the mechanic said " All systems were functioning the way they are supposed to and that if anything changes or any lights come on, bring your wrx back in with the stock airbox because replacement of the factory intake would then be necessary. but for now theres no issues". He also said that the specific diameter and placement of the MAF sensor was the key to setting up an intake that works with no tune. He also told me that the gain in power is going to be minimal at best but the sound is much better. Only a tune after the warranty is up, will give significant gains in hp. soi He advised me to wait to do any major upgrades.
Unless they welded in an aftermarket WBO2 sensor into the downpipe, they can't tell you about AFRs.

#47 ·
That's what I thought.. All I know is that they said the computer is reading everything correctly and that the warranty is not void with the intake on as it is. Once I alter the ECU or program anything I lose the warranty so just leave it as it is and if anything changes, replace it with the factory/stock intake to prevent any possible issues later on. I guess Im just lucky that there is no check engine light* for now, and everything feels and reads ok according to Subaru. A friend of mine used a 2009 SPT intake modified to his 2013 WRX and he also has no issues. So Im thinking th PErrin and the Old SPT intake are the only ones that don't absolutely need a tune. I want to tune it with an AccessPort but Im not going to void my warrant for 20- 30 HP No thanks Ill take the measly 4-8 HP without a tune and just enjoy the great sound from the intake and turbo while in warranty. It seems most mods require a tune no matter what but there are lucky breaks here and there for a few of us. Im going to try to get the data log from my dealer so I can post it

#49 ·
and that the warranty is not void with the intake on as it is
Who told you this? If your motor fails and SOA deems that it was the intake (a probably conclusion), they have every right to deny your warranty claim.

You are arguing with a group of very skilled individuals armed with MUCH more knowledge than yourself (this is evident). Please, for the sake of others in the community, stop spreading false information.

#48 ·
On the 02-07 WRX/STi the Perrin was one of the absolute worst as far as screwy MAF readings and turbulence around the sensor. It wouldn't necessarily throw engine codes, but it could kill an engine.

I guess if you plan on trading the car in before the warranty is up, and the dealer has given you a written statement that they are fine with the intake warranty wise.. then I don't see too much of a problem.. although whoever ends up with the car after you will kind of be screwed over, which I consider bad car karma.

And for what it's worth, most dealership tech's wouldn't have a clue what a datalog is, let alone have the equipment or know how to record one.. so I'll be surprised if you actually provide that.

#58 ·
On the 02-07 WRX/STi the Perrin was one of the absolute worst as far as screwy MAF readings and turbulence around the sensor.
That and the Injen intake...that thing is horrid.

Lulz...a written agreement from SOA??? That's laughable :rotfl:

#50 ·
Eh, Ill go ahead and trust the written, signed agreement from SOA, my dealership owner and mechanic....No matter how knowledgeable one is, no matter how many 1000+HP Subies you built, youre not going to be able to sign anything and supply repairs at no charge like the factory. Again, listen to the makers of a product and those who work on that product for a living. =)

..Loving my Subie with no tune. saved me $5-700 not getting tune, and not tossing my warranty in the toilet Thanks for installing and testing and ensuring that its ok. Thanks Subaru for helping me to do things right and not have to worry about tuning or warranty issues.

#51 ·
I'd love for you to upload this document claiming that the warranty will never be void from an intake installed.

As it stands right now you are full of **** AND contributing to false information that could potentially damage another member's car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.