stock engine ( how much awhp can it take?.)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on stock engine ( how much awhp can it take?.) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How much awhp can our engine take with out compromising the reliability of our engine to bad? In my scion ...

How much awhp can our engine take with out compromising the reliability of our engine to bad? In my scion it was 300 whp that engine was tough stuff

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You need to do some searches and read the "I want 300 whp" thread. Reliability all depends on how you drive it. There is no answer to that.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    There is no answer to that.

^this..

I could throw out some numbers.. but that's kind of difficult to do without first knowing what engine you're talking about. "Our" engine doesn't mean much.. Mine is rated for 550+whp, but it's not stock.

Stock 05 wrx

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    There is no answer to that.
    Bingo. We can't give you an answer. This is like the thread awhile back where someone asked how many miles their transmission would last. How can we possibly know that? There are so many variables: ok, the car is stock, but how about maintenance? Mileage? Mod path? What sort of driving patterns? Phase of moon? Astrological sign?

We're not trying to be jerks, it's just reality. That said, many people have had great success with "stage II" levels in power, and "generally" have great reliability, although there exceptions both ways. Research around the forums to get a better idea what that means. Most importantly, welcome!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

if you drop the clutch and drive like a jackass, the car isn't going to last long... much like any other car. It's much easier (as far as I know) to already be rolling and do some spirited driving around some curves or whatever than running the car repeatedly down the 1/4 mile.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Cobb AP highstall torque converter 4100 rpm basically full exhaust stock header

Thank you guys for the help I really need to stop being vague about my questions

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on how you go about making the power. If you run an appropriately sized turbo, EWG, all the right bolt ons, run e85 instead of pump gas, etc.. then I would say you could probably do 340-350whp somewhat reliably with a conservative tune as long as you don't drive it hard. Although whp measurements vary widely from dyno to dyno, and everyone has different ideas about what reliability means. I would think if the engine lasted 60k miles at 350whp on a reasonable dyno that would be decent reliability. But then we get to the question of, how many miles are already on the engine?

And obviously no one can know.. some engines run more power for longer, some blow up during the tune. That's just the risk you take. You gotta pay to play, and it would be a good idea to have the money set aside for a built engine if you want to make a lot of power. It would probably be an even better idea to go ahead and build it before it blows up to save money and time. Then again, built engines aren't exactly known for reliability.. even at stock power levels.

Okay thank you guys im aiming for 300whp to last me the life of my car. I think 300whp will make me happy sense this is my DD but when I get a different car then ill rebuild everything make it a Sunday night drag car

What are you at now power wise?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Idk haven't dynoed yet. Different exhaust though not sure about up or down pipes

why do you need 300 HP to make you happy as it being a DD? My 07 is stock and makes me happy as a DD. Ive been throwing around the mod idea for awhile but I really don't think that I'll ever go past a stage 1. The life of the car and reliability is what I want the most out of it. If you dont plan on keeping it for the long haul then by all means throw 300 HP at it.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    why do you need 300 HP to make you happy as it being a DD? My 07 is stock and makes me happy as a DD. Ive been throwing around the mod idea for awhile but I really don't think that I'll ever go past a stage 1. The life of the car and reliability is what I want the most out of it. If you dont plan on keeping it for the long haul then by all means throw 300 HP at it.
    2 words... Mod Bug!! lol
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    2 words... Mod Bug!! lol
    yes this
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.