Need help with STI Swap!

This is a discussion on Need help with STI Swap! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay guys I just recently broke a rod in my 2004 Subaru WRX and instead of rebuilding my motor, I ...

Need help with STI Swap!

Okay guys I just recently broke a rod in my 2004 Subaru WRX and instead of rebuilding my motor, I decided that Im going to do a sti swap. The only problem is that I dont really know what are all the parts that I need to complete this swap successfully. Is there a DIY anywhere that you guys can give me a link to or a list of parts that I need. Really got to get my car up and running again so please help a fellow subaru owner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Hybrid build, or full longblock swap?

Im just going to go with a sti swap dont really want to go hybrid. But man anyone now where I can get a link to what I need to do this swap?

Need help with STI Swap!

Ecu and i believe you have to get new pedals, as the sti engines are drive by wire, and wrx are not. Im sure there are many other parts required for the swap as well. I recently looked into doing a swap on my 04 wrx, and ended buying a new oem 2.0 shortblock as it was MUCH cheaper than doing an sti swap.

Quote Originally Posted by john_wrx04 View Post
    Im just going to go with a sti swap dont really want to go hybrid. But man anyone now where I can get a link to what I need to do this swap?

That's going to be a lot more complicated.. You're going to need the STi ECU along with all the wiring. Most people decide AVCS isn't worth the hassle of having to redo all the electrical in the car.. or they end up running standalone EM.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    That's going to be a lot more complicated.. You're going to need the STi ECU along with all the wiring. Most people decide AVCS isn't worth the hassle of having to redo all the electrical in the car.. or they end up running standalone EM.
    This...the ECU and STI wiring harness are the biggest (and a costly) part of the swap.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Well I want to go with a JDM version 7 STI motor that will come with the motor, tranny, driveshaft, axle, ecu and rear diff. Can I somehow fuse my 04 wrx engine harness with the jdm harness by sending it to iwire. I understand they do alot of wiring stuff for subaru. And also will I only need to change the thorttle peadal because of a sensor sending a signal to the ecu? Anyone got a DIY link or a swap list to help me out?

There are places that will "merge" the harnesses. From what I remember it typically costs $1000 or more, and you end up having electrical problems down the road because vibration breaks apart the soldering over time.

I don't know of a DIY for this, as most people who chose to do it are experts and already know just what to do.. it would just be a lot cheaper, more reliable, and less hassle to go ahead and buy a STi. The info that is out there would probably be found here: Subaru Conversions - NASIOC

Honestly, what you're talking about doing seems rather pointless to me... but that's just me.

Need help with STI Swap!

Agreed with @mainframe