06wrx TMIC into 02 wrx Measurments don't stack up to FAQ
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 06wrx TMIC into 02 wrx Measurments don't stack up to FAQ within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Maybe i'm over thinking things like I always do. Objective : Swap TMIC (top mount intercooler) Question: Will the swap ...

06wrx TMIC into 02 wrx Measurments don't stack up to FAQ

Maybe i'm over thinking things like I always do.

Objective
    : Swap TMIC (top mount intercooler)

Question: Will the swap require extra parts? Should I even swap at all?

Current TMIC: Factory 2002 WRX TMIC

Part to be equipped: TMIC from 06-07 WRX
    Part # 21819AA130 if u search this number, just a bunch of Swedish Subaru parts pages come up.
    127100-2351

In a TMIC faq I Pulled up these dimensions (source)

2002-2007 WRX: 16.5" x 6" x 3" (25.5)
    2002-2007 WRX: 390 CFM

Here's where I'm lost; the TMIC I have ready to be installed measures
    19" x 4" x 2.5" (25.5)... maybe i'm measuring it wrong.

I thought this was strange since it came directly from a Aspen White 06-07 WRX. Picture below is how the TMIC looks like. I sat the TMIC ontop of my TMIC it's much longer, but all lines/hoses/mounts match up to fit perfectly.

Is this TMIC worse, better, or the same? Maybe the flow is better, more fins/sq inch, or more resistant to heat soak?? Any of this without lost of CFM? Am I giving too much credit for size.

02 wrx TMIC: 297inch^3 face surface area 99inch^2
    06 wrx TMIC: 190inch^3 face surface area 76inch^2

It makes no sense to me that Subaru would put a inferior TMIC in a newer model vehicle, so I'm just assuming it's better, but the size puzzles me. The answer must lye in the design. Is there any benefit from doing this swap?

Thank you for your time ;-)
    Last edited by eunos; 10-27-2012 at 10:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.