Up-pipe question?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Up-pipe question? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer too performing searches on various forums... ...

Up-pipe question?

I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer too performing searches on various forums...

I have a 2011 WRX with the current mods listed in my signature. I'm about to go through another round of mods. I've purchased a Process West TMIC, Cobb BPV, GrimmSpeed EBCS and DW65c fuel pump. I'm going to install these and then get a pro tune.

My question is would it be worth also getting an after market up-pipe (grimmspeed vs Perrin) with these mods? I read on Perrin's website that there was about 20 increase in both awh and torque with the WRX (but the didn't list year of car) and "faster spool". I've also read that the aftermarket up-pipes are the same diameter as the stock one, they just don't have a cat?

QUESTIONS:
    1. Is it worth getting one?
    2. What would I expect to see in performance over OEM?
    3. Is the OEM up-pipe catted in 08+ (I read 06 and newer in one forum but nothing specifically 2011).

Thanks in advance!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can tell you that the up-pipe is only catted in 02-05. You have nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by jeremydingeman; 10-27-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: fixored

I Support ClubWRX

Up-pipe question?

1. No.
    2. With great mapping, maybe better output. I'd not bother.
    3. No.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremydingeman View Post
    I can tell you that the up-pipe is only catted in 02-03. You have nothing to worry about.

All 2L WRX had catted uppipes, 02-05.

I Support ClubWRX
    On the 2.5L, there are only three times in which I would replace the uppipe:
    1) If you choose to go EWG
    2) If you're swapping turbos (while the turbo is out, it's only two more bolts)
    3) The stock one is leaking

There are minor gains to be had with a better flowing one (with proper tuning), but with the effort it takes to install, I just don't feel it's worth it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    On the 2.5L, there are only three times in which I would replace the uppipe:
    1) If you choose to go EWG
    2) If you're swapping turbos (while the turbo is out, it's only two more bolts)
    3) The stock one is leaking

There are minor gains to be had with a better flowing one (with proper tuning), but with the effort it takes to install, I just don't feel it's worth it.

agreed 100%

I heard that an exhaust. And up pipe were needed for a cobb tune. If this is not so what is needed?? I have an spt exhaust
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee09 View Post
    I heard that an exhaust. And up pipe were needed for a cobb tune. If this is not so what is needed?? I have an spt exhaust

The map notes detail what is needed for the tune. Typically, 100% stock for stage one tune, aftermarket downpipe for stage two tune. The only cars that require aftermarket uppipe for anything are WRXs with the 2L engine.

Oh ok cool so thats what they must have been thinking of. So id be able to a stage 1 cobb tune now???
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

yep

I Support ClubWRX

Up-pipe question?

The SPT is not a full exhaust and does not modify emissions. Provided no other changes were made, yes, but read the map notes. Twice. That's what's covered in terms of parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the responses. Now that I know that the 08+ up-pipe is non-catted, I agree gains not worth $. Just interesting that one company says under the description that it is the first mod you should do on any Subaru.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Up-pipe question?

Quote Originally Posted by Wussola
    Just interesting that one company says under the description that it is the first mod you should do on any Subaru.
    Who?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Who?
    Directly from Grimm Speed's website

"Adding an aftermarket Up Pipe is one of the first things you should do to your Subaru. Arguably one of the best $/HP ratios. Our goal was to make a premium heavy duty Up Pipe for our customers!"

I Support ClubWRX

Up-pipe question?

Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    Directly from Grimm Speed's website

"Adding an aftermarket Up Pipe is one of the first things you should do to your Subaru. Arguably one of the best $/HP ratios. Our goal was to make a premium heavy duty Up Pipe for our customers!"
    They are trying to sell a product. Of course they would say that lol.

As others have said. The stock UP on 2.5s is already cat less and doesn't need to be replaced. Even on the 2.0s replacing it is more of a reliability upgrade than a power upgrade.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast