Replacing pistons
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Replacing pistons within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok I want to replace my stock pistons in my 2011 STi for two reasons 1) because I think I ...

Replacing pistons

Ok I want to replace my stock pistons in my 2011 STi for two reasons 1) because I think I have a cracked ring land and 2) because I would like to try to get more power (350whp) and not have to worry about the stupid stock pistons. From what I have seen the stock STi rods are fine for the power that I want, also I see that the main problem of building our motors is spinning the main bearings. So my question is can you replace the pistons without seperating the block halfs? I have seen how the motor is put together and the pistons are put in after the two halfs of the block is bolted together so I would think that you could reverse the procedure. If the ring lands have not broke off and the cylinder walls still look good would it be ok to just pull the old pistons out and replace them with some good forged pistons, bolt eveything back togehter with new gaskets of course and call it a day?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You can do drop-in pistons. It's a middle ground between stock and a built/balanced shortblock. Personally, if you're going through the effort of pulling the motor, I'd just do a full refresh/rebuild.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You can do drop-in pistons. It's a middle ground between stock and a built/balanced shortblock. Personally, if you're going through the effort of pulling the motor, I'd just do a full refresh/rebuild.
    +1 build it proply less problems in the future stay safe

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.