Is It Worth It?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is It Worth It? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking into upgrading my exhaust to the Invidia Q300 Catback TI-Tip. I just got off the phone with my ...

Is It Worth It?

I'm looking into upgrading my exhaust to the Invidia Q300 Catback TI-Tip. I just got off the phone with my parts guy (trying to find out whether or not it will effect my warranty) and he said in theory, no. So long as I only change the exhaust itself and not the downpipe or midpipe. So my question for you all is do you think it is worth it to change out just the exhaust? Any power gains or will this basically be like putting a playing card into your child hood bicycle spokes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Playing card. But you'll be kid with the coolest sounding bike....err, car on the block!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No...you're just making your car louder. And there is always the possibility of them denying your warranty claim when it comes to aftermarket parts.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

No power gains without tune.
    Depending on the dealer they can still use any aftermarket against you to not accept a wrrenty claim

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    No power gains without tune.
    Depending on the dealer they can still use any aftermarket against you to not accept a wrrenty claim
    You won't really see a whole lot out of a catback anyway.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

True dat. But it would be a good first mod and it would pave the way for a downpipe and a tune later on, yeah? I like the Q300 and the Nameless Axel back.

I Support ClubWRX
    I noticed that you have a hatch back. I would advise you to hear the exhaust first( specifically installed on a hatchback,not a sedan) before you make your purchase. The Q300 tends to drone a lot on hatchbacks just so you know.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    You won't really see a whole lot out of a catback anyway.
    But still sounds good! You'll probably see some for little while before your ECU catches on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012-WRX-PBP View Post
    True dat. But it would be a good first mod and it would pave the way for a downpipe and a tune later on, yeah? I like the Q300 and the Nameless Axel back.
    Yes, exactly what I'm doing. Hopefully picking up my TurboXS catback from someone in New Hampshire as long as it doesnt get sold from under me again. Then downpipe, butif I get an AP before then you can go to stage one. I'm sure stage one is either just a flash with stock, just an intake and tune, or catback and tune.. but stage 2 is intake and turboback plus tune.

But still sounds good! You'll probably see some for little while before your ECU catches on.

Yes, exactly what I'm doing. Hopefully picking up my TurboXS catback from someone in New Hampshire as long as it doesnt get sold from under me again. Then downpipe, butif I get an AP before then you can go to stage one. I'm sure stage one is either just a flash with stock, just an intake and tune, or catback and tune.. but stage 2 is intake and turboback plus tune.

haha, in all honesty, I'm not planning on going ape sh** with my modding. I can see myself doing short throw shifter, front/rear sway bars and end links, the exhaust I am talking about, and maybe after the warranty expires, a downpipe. The first thing I'm doing is going to be the exhaust. I'm checking out youtube videos and everything trying to distinguish the differences between the Nameless Performance and the Q300. @rage-wrx mentioned that there is more droning in a hatch.

I'm sure stage one is either just a flash with stock, just an intake and tune, or catback and tune.. but stage 2 is intake and turboback plus tune.
    Correct, though you can go with a stage 2 tune with just a downpipe, not a full turboback.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 10-25-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I need to do my diff and tranny fluid asap. It's seriously impossible to get my car into reverse now without having to roll foward first. Shifting is way too notchy for my liking. Going to be doing the short throw shifter and front and rear bushings. Something they'll be raffling off on this site.
    Exhaust, intake...stage two will be tops for me. Otherwise just tint, coilovers, and refinishing my rims

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Correct, though you can go with a stage tune with just a downpipe, not a full turboback.
    Oh, nice so it can save you a little bit of time and money

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012-WRX-PBP View Post
    I'm checking out youtube videos and everything trying to distinguish the differences between the Nameless Performance and the Q300. @rage-wrx mentioned that there is more droning in a hatch.
    Believe me. Youtube videos will tell you nothing. I have owned both the Nameless & the Q300 at some point. I had one of the first Nameless axlebacks made for the hatchback.

The structure of the hatchback is such that it is bound to drone. The sedan has the trunk area as a buffer. The question is what drones less. The Nameless drones lesser than the Q300. To me the Q300 was simply awful.

Don't believe me? You can either hear it in person (since it may be a matter of personal preference) at a local meet or check out some of the threads

PSA: STi Invidia Q300 (new style) is NOT a quiet exhaust! - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think you greatly misunderstand how modern cars work...

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I think you greatly misunderstand how modern cars work...
    Ya probably. I don't know what I'm doing here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast