Bigger turbo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bigger turbo within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2006 WRX with a 3" TBE and a stage 2 tune. I plan on getting a bigger ...

Bigger turbo

I have a 2006 WRX with a 3" TBE and a stage 2 tune. I plan on getting a bigger turbo eventually. My question is what supporting mods will I HAVE to do and what turbo would be a relatively cheap one but will give me more power than the stock one. I would like (in theory) to make ever 300, how much over, doesn't matter. I was thinking of a VF39 only because Cobb has a map for it and I'm not in a location where there is a tuner near by to get it pro tuned.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you upgrade the turbo you will have to get injectors a tune and a feul pump but i belive on the 06 -07 have 550cc injectors so you prbably could just drop a vf 39 in there but you would most likely max out or not have much headroom if you wanna run more boost then lets say 13 psi you would have to upgrade pump and injectors, i would say go with a vf 34 and get a tune somehow im not to sure with cobb but i think they might have one a vf 34 wont die as much at top end compare to the vf 39 but still maimtain quick spool especially on the 2.5 blocks

Look for a used STi kit, they run pretty cheap compared to a custom kit. I've seen a few sell on here so keep your eye on the classifieds list.
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

Quote Originally Posted by sxcrxy View Post
    If you upgrade the turbo you will have to get injectors a tune and a feul pump but i belive on the 06 -07 have 550cc injectors so you prbably could just drop a vf 39 in there but you would most likely max out or not have much headroom if you wanna run more boost then lets say 13 psi you would have to upgrade pump and injectors, i would say go with a vf 34 and get a tune somehow im not to sure with cobb but i think they might have one a vf 34 wont die as much at top end compare to the vf 39 but still maimtain quick spool especially on the 2.5 blocks
    Would I have to get an STi TMIC?
    Also, I have been looking for an STi kit for a little while now and haven't come across anything yet.

yes need a bigger intercooler. sti top mount or front mount. an sti Ic would be fine.

So, I would need....
    -Vf-34 or Vf-39
    -Front mount or STi Top mount IC
    -STi injectors (not a necessity)
    -Stage 3 or custom/pro tune
    -Lots of money
    Correct? Any thing else I should be aware of?

I Support ClubWRX
    With a VF39, it's not imperative that you get a custom tune, but to run a neutered map like the Cobb base map is far from ideal; I just don't feel it's worth the time/money spent on the swap. If you're not willing to pay for a custom reflash, I wouldn't bother.

What you'll need is dependent on the map you're going to run. If you plan to use the Cobb map, you should follow their map notes, as it will tell you what's required. If you go the custom flash route, whatever modifications you have will be accounted for; the more you have, the "better" your car will drive.

Quote Originally Posted by sxcrxy
    No...

Injectors and pump aren't needed for a VF34/39 on pump gas. You could gain a little bit of power by swapping, but you're not really limited much.

Unless you're talking 13 PSI at redline, that's completely false. You can run 20 PSI in the midrange and still be fine (it will taper to redline), given proper cooling.

Both VF turbos will taper a similar amount towards redline on the 2.5L.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bucket View Post
    So, I would need....
    -Vf-34 or Vf-39
    -Front mount or STi Top mount IC
    -STi injectors (not a necessity)
    -Stage 3 or custom/pro tune
    -Lots of money
    Correct? Any thing else I should be aware of?

For a turbo that size I wouldn't even consider a FMIC, a good TMIC would be a much better option. I would say STi TMIC minimum, but if you want to get the most out of it a quality aftermarket TMIC would be needed. I would also throw in a 3-port EBCS and get a pro tune. What's the point in spending the cash on the turbo if you're going to limit it with an OTS map?

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    For a turbo that size I wouldn't even consider a FMIC, a good TMIC would be a much better option. I would say STi TMIC minimum, but if you want to get the most out of it a quality aftermarket TMIC would be needed. I would also throw in a 3-port EBCS and get a pro tune. What's the point in spending the cash on the turbo if you're going to limit it with an OTS map?
    I would love to get a pro tune, but I live up in Maine and I don't know of any tuners near me.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The north east has the greatest concentration of reputable tuners in the United States.. I would have no reservations about driving eight hours or more to get to my tuner of preference. It's a one day deal that tremendously effects the entire life of the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bucket
    I would love to get a pro tune, but I live up in Maine and I don't know of any tuners near me.
    Dent Sport Garage outside of Boston. It'd be about a 3.5-4 hour drive each way, but well worth it. You could likely sell the AP to pretty much cover the entire cost of the custom mapping.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have seen a few vf-39s for sale, how much is a good price and is that infamous wastegate crack really a bad thing?

I Support ClubWRX
    300-350 is a good price. And almost never does the wastegate crack affect anything. Mine went through to the turbine housing though, and mine blew. VERY rare occurrence.

All you need is a vf39, STi TMIC, and a downpipe. That is it. You don't need anything else. Some recommend a fuel pump, but it's not necessary. You have the same fuel pump an STi came with.

That's the only turbo upgrade I would do. I've gone wayyyy too far with my car (as has robin ) and you'll regret going any farther than the VF39. Keep in mind... your clutch will go out much faster with the extra power.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    300-350 is a good price. And almost never does the wastegate crack affect anything. Mine went through to the turbine housing though, and mine blew. VERY rare occurrence.

All you need is a vf39, STi TMIC, and a downpipe. That is it. You don't need anything else. Some recommend a fuel pump, but it's not necessary. You have the same fuel pump an STi came with.

That's the only turbo upgrade I would do. I've gone wayyyy too far with my car (as has robin ) and you'll regret going any farther than the VF39. Keep in mind... your clutch will go out much faster with the extra power.
    Sweet, thanks. I appreciate your help. Hopefully I can get one for a good price. I've read about the cracks but I wasn't sure if they caused any problems.

What would be a sufficient TMIC for a cheap or a reasonable price?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast