Bigger turbo - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bigger turbo within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Sinister That's the only turbo upgrade I would do. I've gone wayyyy too far with my car ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    That's the only turbo upgrade I would do. I've gone wayyyy too far with my car (as has robin ) and you'll regret going any farther than the VF39. Keep in mind... your clutch will go out much faster with the extra power.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with this statement.

A proper 18G setup with supporting modifications would be pretty potent on the 2.5L, without the significant risk of grenading the motor. It requires significantly more modifications, but you can resell them when you part the car back to stock to recoup most of the costs. It's tough to justify that for people with VFXX turbos stock (going less than a 20G is a waste), but from the TD04, it's a great upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bucket
    What would be a sufficient TMIC for a cheap or a reasonable price?
    The cheapest aftermarket TMIC worth a damn is the TurboXS. Personally, I'd look for a ProcessWest or ETS one instead, if you're going to spend the money. If you're not willing to drop $600+ on a new TMIC, you're limited to the STI TMIC, which is only a mild upgrade (I wouldn't pay over $200 for one used).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    175 for a STI tmic, 350 VF39. 200 Downpipe. 300-550 for a tune / accessport.

That's the cheapest big power upgrade you can do on the 06, 07 WRX.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX

A friend of mine sold his Spearco TMIC for $200 with a Tial BOV. I wish I had the cash at the time to jump on it, but I was going through issues at the time.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

What years of the STi TMIC will fit on my 06 WRX? I've read that they are the same even in the newer models. Do you know of it would be an easy install?

I Support ClubWRX
    Any of them will! But in 08 they stopped painting "STi" on them (such a shame). And the intercooler is one of the easiest installs. 2 couplers. The turbo one is a pain at first... but after you do it 2 or 3 times you figure the trick out. I do throttle body first, then tilt the whole thing forward, squeeze my R hand under the driver's side and push the hose onto the turbo then relax the whole thing down slowly.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    300-350 is a good price. And almost never does the wastegate crack affect anything. Mine went through to the turbine housing though, and mine blew. VERY rare occurrence.

All you need is a vf39, STi TMIC, and a downpipe. That is it. You don't need anything else. Some recommend a fuel pump, but it's not necessary. You have the same fuel pump an STi came with.

That's the only turbo upgrade I would do. I've gone wayyyy too far with my car (as has robin ) and you'll regret going any farther than the VF39. Keep in mind... your clutch will go out much faster with the extra power.

Yuup.. although I think a 16g-XT, or 18g could be a good setup. I had said for the longest time that the biggest turbo I would run on my car was a 20g.. I had to rebuild the engine due to oil delivery problems and figured it would be a good idea to throw in forged pistons. Then I had to rebuild again and I decided it would be a good to have lighter/stronger rods. Had it tuned and power fell off so bad in the top end.. then it had to be rebuilt again, so I thought STi cams would be a good addition. Got a 20g.. 20g failed, got my money back, then I had a built motor so I figured I could go bigger. Finally convinced myself to get a 35r, but then STi cams weren't matched to the turbine housing, so new cams.. then I'm near the breaking point of my h-beams, so now it's time for another build, stronger rods, lots of head work. Then my fuel system wasn't sufficient to get the most out of a 35r, so new fuel system.. etc, etc. Now I have conceded to myself that it is a never ending process, there will always be a part that is somehow not up to par with the rest of the build, so it must be upgraded..

Anyways, as Matthew said, the TurboXS TMIC is the cheapest aftermarket TMIC I would consider worth while.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    Yuup.. although I think a 16g-XT, or 18g could be a good setup.
    A 16G (regardless of variant) is a waste on a 2.5L motor

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A 16G (regardless of variant) is a waste on a 2.5L motor
    i disagree... the 16g xt is more powerful than some 18g variants
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    i disagree... the 16g xt is more powerful than some 18g variants
    The 16G-XT uses the TD05 compressor housing, which is a choke point on the 2.5L. I'd take an old school Blouch TD05H-18G (with the TD06 compressor housing) over their 16G-XT any day of the week...

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    The 16 XT can push over 350whp. More than a VF....
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The 16G-XT uses the TD05 compressor housing, which is a choke point on the 2.5L. I'd take an old school Blouch TD05H-18G (with the TD06 compressor housing) over their 16G-XT any day of the week...

Ehh.. if you keep going by that logic then you will end up with a 35r, at least that's what happened to me. If you look at it, arguably the best flowing compressor wheel offered on a 30r turbine is the 76mm GTX wheel, but on the 2.5L it chokes on the 30r turbine by 6000rpm. So if you want to hold torque all the way to red line without choking then you need at least a 35r turbine wheel. You're not necessarily getting a wider powerband, but just moving it further to the right with higher peak numbers.

I think the extended tip billet compressor wheel on the 16g-XT flows plenty of air for a fun street setup. I'd take a 16g-XT over a VF turbo any day.

What are some of the hings I should look out for when buying a used turbo? I read about shaft play, bent broken fins, and waste gate cracks; anything else I should be concerned about?

I Support ClubWRX
    The 16 XT can push over 350whp. More than a VF....
    VF39s hit 350whp on some dynos with E85. Case in point:
    07 WRX VF39 350/416 E85 Tune by Dave Brown @ PAS - NASIOC

/wiseass

That said, the 16G-XT will flow more air than the VF options discussed here.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    Ehh.. if you keep going by that logic then you will end up with a 35r, at least that's what happened to me. If you look at it, arguably the best flowing compressor wheel offered on a 30r turbine is the 76mm GTX wheel, but on the 2.5L it chokes on the 30r turbine by 6000rpm. So if you want to hold torque all the way to red line without choking then you need at least a 35r turbine wheel. You're not necessarily getting a wider powerband, but just moving it further to the right with higher peak numbers.

I think the extended tip billet compressor wheel on the 16g-XT flows plenty of air for a fun street setup. I'd take a 16g-XT over a VF turbo any day.
    I wouldn't. With the 2.5L, you can run a VF turbo without touching injectors. You can run a 16G-XT without an injector upgrade, but you will be limited by fuel, and would have essentially wasted the additional money on the turbo. If you're going to spend the money for a turbo better than the VF, why half-ass it? For the same reason I am not a fan of the HTA68 on the 2.5L motors, I don't feel a 16G-XT would be worth it.

As for your comment about the GT35R, I don't think everyone is in your shoes, Robin. Not everyone is looking for a street monster, and/or not everyone is willing to shell out the $$ to get one. To me, there are four real upgrade options when considering turbos: TD04, VF39/43/48, 18G/20G, and rotated. Some people want to keep the stock snail for insta-spool, some want a bit more power at a low upgrade cost, some want a moderate sized SL snail with "reliability", and then there are those chasing real power ("reliability" decreases with the lbs/min).

What are some of the hings I should look out for when buying a used turbo? I read about shaft play, bent broken fins, and waste gate cracks; anything else I should be concerned about?
    That's pretty much it. Hope the seller is being honest.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-23-2012 at 10:08 AM.

UNYSOC

When I do install the vf-39, would I have to do anything to the restrictor pill at all?

I Support ClubWRX
    When I do install the vf-39, would I have to do anything to the restrictor pill at all?
    You should get aftermarket boost control (talk to your tuner about EBCS, MBC, or EBCS+MBC), which eliminates the RP.

UNYSOC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast