If I were to buy a new turbo... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on If I were to buy a new turbo... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I actually debate this subject every couple weeks. First of all, numbers don't tell the entire story not only because ...

I actually debate this subject every couple weeks. First of all, numbers don't tell the entire story not only because of different dyno's and what not but 320whp on a VF52 is going to be different than 320whp on a Dom1.5 or 20G.

I pretty much cancelled my plans of a turbo swap because of how much it will cost with all the proper supporting mods (which only make sense to do if your spending the money on a turbo & tune) and the block will need to be built down the road which is another few grand.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    I actually debate this subject every couple weeks. First of all, numbers don't tell the entire story not only because of different dyno's and what not but 320whp on a VF52 is going to be different than 320whp on a Dom1.5 or 20G.

I pretty much cancelled my plans of a turbo swap because of how much it will cost with all the proper supporting mods (which only make sense to do if your spending the money on a turbo & tune) and the block will need to be built down the road which is another few grand.
    Your mods were what again? TMIC CBE 3 port CAI, fuel pump? injectors?
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post

I thought that these engines were good to about 400 whp? So why would you need to rebuild your block? I was going to stay around 350ish whp, but with the stock turbo 350 who seems to really be pushing it on the stock turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't be trying for 400whp on a stock engine, in my opinion 350-360whp is the max I would push the stock pistons. Obviously the more power it makes the shorter the life of the engine, so yeah, eventually it will have to be rebuilt regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I wouldn't be trying for 400whp on a stock engine, in my opinion 350-360whp is the max I would push the stock pistons. Obviously the more power it makes the shorter the life of the engine, so yeah, eventually it will have to be rebuilt regardless.
    No, i'm not pushing for 400 whp. I don't need that much power... all i'm saying is that even if you could get to 350 whp or so on a decent dyno that the turbo would be pretty well maxed out would it not?

I Support ClubWRX
    No way you would get 350whp on a reasonable dyno with a stock turbo without at least e85.. and that's still pushing it. On pump gas, 300-305whp is what I would expect to see out of a VF turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    No way you would get 350whp on a reasonable dyno with a stock turbo without at least e85.. and that's still pushing it. On pump gas, 300-305whp is what I would expect to see out of a VF turbo.
    93 is the best I can get here. I wish I had access to E85 honestly, but I don't... hence the reason I was wondering about a bit of a larger turbo just to add that power without maxing the stocker out. If I just have to add a fuel pump, injectors and do even a mild tune that's fine. The car doesn't have to be pushing some huge number. I just want a nice, reliable turbo IF what i'm looking for would make sense. In other words... if I would have to put in headers, an uppipe, and some of the other PITA mods just to make the stock set-up better, then it just makes sense to get a little larger turbo and just not push the boost to the max then i'm not really spending that much more money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12