How not to piss off your local auto shop/tuner --do's and don'ts
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How not to piss off your local auto shop/tuner --do's and don'ts within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Clearly i'm new at this. And don't know the ropes. So I've made a ton of mistakes. So, for fear ...

Registered User CharlieBronson08's Avatar

How not to piss off your local auto shop/tuner --do's and don'ts

Clearly i'm new at this. And don't know the ropes. So I've made a ton of mistakes. So, for fear of already irritating the piss out of the guys at my local shop and they that work on my car, what are some best practices, things to avoid doing or things to insure you do, when dealing with your local shop/mechanics/tuners? Is there some sort of performance car etiquette guide?

I guess it would be nice to know how to not piss off your fellow WRX owners as well, particularly those who have been down since the WRX was the RS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Handjobs fix all crappy situations
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

group or one-on-one??

God gave u two hands, and other parts^.

But check on your local tuners website and it will have a list of things to do

or u should call and talk to them, they can give u a checklist of things to do..like run the octane gas u plan on using, make sure theres not other additives in your gas tank like fuel system cleaner, things like that, fresh oil, plugs.

Will definitely check sites. But sounds like you're saying DIY projects are helpful.

yes the tuner will tell you some things that need to be done to be tuned safely. if u go about doing them yourself or taking to a dealer for service is your choice but just call and as the tuner, thats why theyre there.

It might be helpful if you explain what happened that makes you think the shop is pissed at you, or what you think you did to piss them off. We'd have a better idea what kind of advice you're looking for.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

i think he means hes going in for a tune and wants to make sure his car is setup right so he doesnt piss off the tuner...wants to know what prep he should do or not do. correct me if im wrong.

Ahh gotcha, I think I was reading it like he thought he already pissed them off with "tons of mistakes."
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

haha all good

Makes sense. First of all. Didn't do my appropriate services, 60k and 90k. Long story. Not car abuse or neglect, I promise. But major no no.

Then a small issue turned into a huge work-up so I was stressed and paranoid. Came in for service and a CEL, then it turned into a failing engine. The rebuild took longer, cost more, etc. So I questioned the integrity of their work. Said I wanted to bring in my own guy, check if they did everything they said they did. Whatever, just talking. All the while I don't know what I'm talking about. Hadn't done my research. Dropped a lot of money on things I didn't fully understand and perhaps weren't ready to move into.

Anyways...thought they were pissed cuz all of the sudden CEL comes back on, a coolant hose pops lose for no reason, brand new O2 sensor all of the sudden goes bad, AC compressor goes out, and start seeing unknown charges on my bill.

Couple thousand miles later, all kinks have been worked out and perhaps everything was a huge misunderstanding. I think we are cool now. Will definitely get all my work done by these guys for the life of the vehicle and then some. But, I feel like if I knew a little bit more ahead of time, I could have avoided a lot of trouble.

Hope that helps

So for instance, I ride sportsbikes, but I can't stand seeing guys who can't ride but run 100+ mph in a straight line, can't turn, don't know how to lean. Or that guy who is popping wheelies everywhere just to show off, disrupting traffic, reckless.
    Or the guy with the white T-shirt and shorts, raggin in the wind with no jacket on., looking ridiculous like they don't know what the hell they doing,
    and the worst...those dudes who rev their engine at stop lights or when they are coming to a stop. Why the f*** are you hitting the throttle? Is it going to stall otherwise?

So, I imagine there are some similar pet-peeves in the WRX world.

haha i hear ya with that^^

although when i had my bike i did some squid things, like racing friends on straights just for fun, rode in shorts once. but now i always wear my jacket and have jeans with kevlar inside them, better than nothing but still not going to wear full leathers even though safer. i know i know lol. but hate going fast on straights on a bike no skill. although i do love wheelies i try to keep it to parking lots and will probably get a 600cc stunt bike. but riding twisties on a bike and wrx still give me an erection...lol

some pet peeves in the wrx world are mods without tuning like intakes, exhausts, bov's, especially the hks ssqv lol. alot of members, including me, arent a fan of stanced cars. mines lowered but on lowering springs and different struts. rather have a nice stance with proper suspension geometry than something that looks cool to others but can take a turn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.