2002 WRX Not sure what I have

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX Not sure what I have within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just bought my 02' Wrx in June from a dealer. Trying to figure out what I have as far as ...

2002 WRX Not sure what I have

Just bought my 02' Wrx in June from a dealer. Trying to figure out what I have as far as mods and whats been done to the car.
    Ive looked at enough pictures and read enough of the forums to get a general idea of whats under the hood of my wrex but somethings
    under there seem questionable from the weathering, missing heatshields and grease stains etc. Just asking for a "Wheres Waldo?" type of advice as to what you might see with the posted pictures.
    Perrin uppipe and Im pretty sure the headers are stock. Looks like an aftermarket downpipe with a full HKS "hi-power" turbo-back exhaust.
    AEM, CAI and I think thats it

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	108931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	108932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	108933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	108934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0396.jpg 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	108935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	108936

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    stock collectors and cross pipe (aka headers).

Turbo I can't tell... All I can say is that the turbine housing is small, the oil line is stock, and so more than likely it's a stock turbo. But it's not 100% without seeing what it says on the side of the compressor housing.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Looks like an HKS flat-flanged downpipe as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

The oil stain by the coil pack in front of the upipe in the second picture.... Is that from the turbo because i dont have an Oil catch? Ive cleaned the engine with degreaser but thats the only area that keeps getting the same oil drip/stain coming down from the intercooler or turbo not sure what it is. I havent had a compression test yet and theres a smell of unburnt fuel/exhaust, is that just the norm with the full exhuast or is there maybe a blown gasket somewhere around the bov/bpv?

edit: also the stain on the left side/top of the transmission.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have no idea. It's hard to say without looking at it in person..
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I got an '03 and have the same problem. I'm going to upload it like this, but with more pictures and details.

Send a link to your new thread when you post it @weedity

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex05 View Post
    The oil stain by the coil pack in front of the upipe in the second picture.... Is that from the turbo because i dont have an Oil catch? Ive cleaned the engine with degreaser but thats the only area that keeps getting the same oil drip/stain coming down from the intercooler or turbo not sure what it is. I havent had a compression test yet and theres a smell of unburnt fuel/exhaust, is that just the norm with the full exhuast or is there maybe a blown gasket somewhere around the bov/bpv?

edit: also the stain on the left side/top of the transmission.
    Could be a number of things...doubt it has to do with not having a catch can cause most people don't. Hell, it could be a result of sloppy oil change techs. Smelling rich could be a result of a catless exhaust system...or possibility that you aren't tuned.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I change the oil and like I said I've decreased the engine couple different times. The exhaust is catless so I guess that's the reason I'm smelling rich and I'm not tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex05 View Post
    Send a link to your new thread when you post it @weedity
    Will do, got to find the time first, very busy!