Another uppipe question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Another uppipe question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm going to get a new uppipe first, to keep my turbo running good. However, I've heard of gaskets and ...

Another uppipe question

I'm going to get a new uppipe first, to keep my turbo running good. However, I've heard of gaskets and what not. So if I am getting a new uppipe, what else do I need?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Weedity View Post
    I'm going to get a new uppipe first, to keep my turbo running good. However, I've heard of gaskets and what not. So if I am getting a new uppipe, what else do I need?
    What do you mean what do you need?There's never exactly anything you need, just what you want. Things you need are to service your timing and drive belts, oil changes, transmission and differential services, aliagnments...

moar specifics please

if your going to keep the car stock the stock uppipe is fine, but if planning on going stage 2 upgrades and tuner a uppipe is needed so the cat doesnt fall apart from the higher boost pressure. i have a grimmspeed uppipe from kronos performance and ordered the 2 gaskets for it as well. FMS posted a link on your other post so check his out as well, theyre both great vendors.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Another uppipe question

Uppipes let go at stock levels, too. It's a liability at any power level, but that has a direct correlation to power.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Re: Another uppipe question

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Uppipes let go at stock levels, too. It's a liability at any power level, but that has a direct correlation to power.
    Agreed. My uppipe was clogged at 100-some K miles. Caused my turbo to make a nasty valve-line clicking sound.

Posted from a fone.

Well, I was just wondering do uppipes come with gaskets? What are gaskets? Are they necessary? Do you need more then one? Do you just need the uppipe and gasket? It's all just so confusing to me lol, I'm new to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedity View Post
    Well, I was just wondering do uppipes come with gaskets? What are gaskets? Are they necessary? Do you need more then one? Do you just need the uppipe and gasket? It's all just so confusing to me lol, I'm new to this.
    Gaskets are necessary, the help seal the little cracks between the pipes.
    My dealer had to use multiple OEM gaskets when they did my uppipe, 1 caused a nasty exhaust leak. I was overboosting like crazy.
    If it is confusing to you I would recommend paying someone to do it for you. Its a pain in the pass part to install, compared to other stuff. And a bad install could mean POP, goes the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Gaskets are necessary, the help seal the little cracks between the pipes.
    My dealer had to use multiple OEM gaskets when they did my uppipe, 1 caused a nasty exhaust leak. I was overboosting like crazy.
    If it is confusing to you I would recommend paying someone to do it for you. Its a pain in the pass part to install, compared to other stuff. And a bad install could mean POP, goes the engine.
    Too much back pressure?
    How do you get a bad install? It's either tight, or not tight right? If you don't mind me asking, just out of curiosity

Not enough probably. You're right, they said the downpipe wasn't torqued down correctly. So my turbo was probably dumping it's exhaust gas out with no restriction, at a rate the wastegate wasn't setup for.... overboosting. Their f-up. Just took it back. No charge.
    The "correct" procedure to replace an uppipe is to remove the downpipe btw.

FMS

The uppipe does require that you replace the gaskets and does not come with new gaskets. These will need to be ordered in addition.

GrimmSpeed Ceramic Coated Uppipe Subaru 2002-2012 WRX / STi - Flatline Motorsports

GrimmSpeed Lower Uppipe Gasket Subaru Tuurbo Models - Flatline Motorsports

GrimmSpeed Gasket Uppipe to Turbo - Flatline Motorsports

Another thing, we are also running a sale on anything exhaust related (use voucher in cart: bheard1221) . Feel free to PM us with any questions for immediate answers.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

I Support ClubWRX
    Gaskets, 2.2K Ohm resistor, electrical tape, PB Blaster, tools, beer.

yes +1 to PB blaster

also i drove my car up on ramps to do this install and had to use a jack to lift the motor off the mounts to pull uppipe out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    also i drove my car up on ramps to do this install and had to use a jack to lift the motor off the mounts to pull uppipe out.
    Just bang it with a hammer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast