Noob, new uppipe!

This is a discussion on Noob, new uppipe! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm new to driving the Wrx, and just recently got into automotives and what not. I hear the Wrx's stock ...

Noob, new uppipe!

I'm new to driving the Wrx, and just recently got into automotives and what not. I hear the Wrx's stock uppipe isn't great for the turbo, and my car is a 2003 with 120K, I figured it's time to replace it to be safe. I do have some questions though because I'm not sure if the owner before me put in a new uppipe or not, he did change the exhaust system and tires so I wouldn't be surprised.
    1) How can I tell if the uppipes stock or not, if I even can?
    2) What's a good brand/material for the catless uppipe?

Again, I'm new to this, help would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's hard to get a look at it, but I think the easiest way to tell is to see if it has heat shields installed. If it has heatshields it's stock, if it's just a bare pipe, aftermarket.

stock

aftermarket

correct me if im wrong because i do not have an up pipe installed... but isnt the turbo extremely audible with one installed? just listening to the car alone you would be able to tell if one is installed.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    correct me if im wrong because i do not have an up pipe installed... but isnt the turbo extremely audible with one installed? just listening to the car alone you would be able to tell if one is installed.

Not really, it's slightly louder, but the downpipe makes much more of a difference than the uppipe. So does the intake.

FMS

A great brand to get is the Grimmspeed. They even come ceramic powder coated so that you don't need to wrap it.

Uppipes - Flatline Motorsports

as for install:
    DIY Stage 2+ (Downpipe, Uppipe, TMIC, EBCS, Ram Intake, Wastegate Blockoff, EWG)
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook