Injectors maxed out question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Injectors maxed out question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I recently went with a custom tp stage 2+ ebcs and have been working back and forth with eric ...

Injectors maxed out question

Hello, I recently went with a custom tp stage 2+ ebcs and have been working back and forth with eric which has been a great experience. Problem being my car loves fuel and when he lowers the fuel tables i start getting knock, and when he raises them it goes away but my injectors are hitting like 100-102. My question is, will that hurt the engine or is it just a limiting factor with power? 2011 wrx tbe, ebcs, aem cai. Should I upgrade the injectors or am I ok? Thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know if it will hurt the engine... i'm sure Eric would tune accordingly. I've always heard once you get to like 90% or so, it's time to change them. Do you have a fuel pump upgrade?
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I Support ClubWRX
    Id upgrade the injectors and pump, go with a TMIC and new bpv as well.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Mostly a limiting factor, although if you accidentally overboost for some reason and you don't have any headroom in your fuel system your engine could be toast.. also, running the injectors 100% duty cycle will shorten their lifespan dramatically and can end up causing a host of other problems.

Personally, I wouldn't push my injectors past 90% IDC unless I absolutely have to.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would not run my car with IDC's in the 100's consistently. Ever. There are people that are fine with running a tune that reaches 100% (some even a little bit over) who don't experience lean conditions, but as for me, I refuse to risk it. No headroom at all can mean some serious trouble down the road.

Do you have a wideband O2 sensor to monitor AFR's? I don't care how good a tuner the person may be, without a wideband O2, it's nigh impossible to get a good mapping. Even car to car AFR's can vary with the same modifications and mappings. Also, you can not accurately verify if your car is not leaning out when the IDC's get to 100 without one.

This all speaks of bad juju to me.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thanks for the replies. I have a stock fuel pump and stock tmic. Don't have a wideband 02 and just using the ap to log. Hopefully won't overboost due to the ebcs and eric's map. I'm consistently at 11.03 afr starting at 2600 rpm to 6500 rpm. Injectors hit 100 at 5700 rpm and up to 102 at 6500 rpm. I'm not looking for much more power maybe at the most an upgraded tmic, so what injectors would be recommended? or would an upgraded fuel pump suffice? @ torque, what bpv do you recommend and at what setting. Thank you

i once ran my injectors at 130% duty cycle my car would run like at 12:0 at redline not a smart move i would say change your afrs to about 11:5 might lower the duty cycle abit and turn down the boost abit might get you under 90%

Quote Originally Posted by Gator0302 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have a stock fuel pump and stock tmic. Don't have a wideband 02 and just using the ap to log. Hopefully won't overboost due to the ebcs and eric's map. I'm consistently at 11.03 afr starting at 2600 rpm to 6500 rpm. Injectors hit 100 at 5700 rpm and up to 102 at 6500 rpm. I'm not looking for much more power maybe at the most an upgraded tmic, so what injectors would be recommended? or would an upgraded fuel pump suffice? @ torque, what bpv do you recommend and at what setting. Thank you
    I think you will need both the injectors and fuel pump. The pump you want is a DW 65. It's a drop in pump and most guys here use them. The injectors vary depending on what you have now and what you may do in the future but the DW again or "DeatschWerks" DeatschWerks Fuel Injectors Top Feed 750cc Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2013 WRX / 2007-2013 STI) at RallySportDirect.com are common.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I think you will need both the injectors and fuel pump. The pump you want is a DW 65. It's a drop in pump and most guys here use them. The injectors vary depending on what you have now and what you may do in the future but the DW again or "DeatschWerks" DeatschWerks Fuel Injectors Top Feed 750cc Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2013 WRX / 2007-2013 STI) at RallySportDirect.com are common.
    A heads up.... you can get them cheaper than from this site.

Quote Originally Posted by sxcrxy View Post
    i once ran my injectors at 130% duty cycle my car would run like at 12:0 at redline not a smart move i would say change your afrs to about 11:5 might lower the duty cycle abit and turn down the boost abit might get you under 90%

I feel that 11.5 is still too lean. I prefer a tune not to be right on that ragged edge.. personally, I would be targeting 11.1 or 11.2, just to keep it safe.

I plan on buying a fuel pump and injectors likely as well after I get a new TMIC, EBCS and maybe a BPV, though a lot of people on here are saying that the bpv really isn't needed and that the aftermarkets tend to leak as well.

Point being... even though it would be nice to save the money... the insurance of having more than enough fuel is better. IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I plan on buying a fuel pump and injectors likely as well after I get a new TMIC, EBCS and maybe a BPV, though a lot of people on here are saying that the bpv really isn't needed and that the aftermarkets tend to leak as well.

Point being... even though it would be nice to save the money... the insurance of having more than enough fuel is better. IMO of course.

The newer gen stock BPVs supposedly leak at lower boost levels than the older ones. If you're going to replace it I recommend the Forge Recirculating Race valve. It's well made and doesn't have leak issues like most aftermarket BOVs (as long as it's set up properly). You do have to service it every once in a while, but that's no big deal. I'm going to be selling mine in a few months since I will no longer have a normal intake to route it to.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The newer gen stock BPVs supposedly leak at lower boost levels than the older ones. If you're going to replace it I recommend the Forge Recirculating Race valve. It's well made and doesn't have leak issues like most aftermarket BOVs (as long as it's set up properly). You do have to service it every once in a while, but that's no big deal. I'm going to be selling mine in a few months since I will no longer have a normal intake to route it to
    I always see this BPV... which one exactly is it? Mind posting a link? And how long before you sell it, and for how much? Also, were you the one that had the o2 dump you were gonna sell? Pm me about that if so.

Forge Recirculating Race Blowoff Valve for 02-07 WRX/STi Import Image Racing

Supposedly my cams will be ground in the first week of December, so hopefully around mid December. Now that I think about it, your 2012 probably has a different flange, so I'm not sure if mine would bolt right up to your car.

I have a used OEM front O2 sensor if that's what you're talking about.. I'll let it go for $50.

In the future those sound like great upgrades on the injectors and fuel pump. Just got done talking with Eric at TP and he said that injectors aren't maxed at until they read about 110. So for now I guess I'm good, thanks again for the insight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast