Stage 2 question

This is a discussion on Stage 2 question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In 1 week I have an appointment to get my turboxs catless dp installed and tuned on my 2012 WRX ...

Stage 2 question

In 1 week I have an appointment to get my turboxs catless dp installed and tuned on my 2012 WRX hatch I was wondering if I should get an intake at this point so that I can have them tuned together or is the stock box sufficient at this level, and any recommendations as to which intake others are seeing best results with? Car is stock aside from AP stage 1 map right now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ran a 13.6 first time ever at the track and was suby vs evo day hoping to break into the 12s after this setup

If you have the money to get more mods before getting the tune... i'd do it. I got a DP and AEM CAI at the same time. I only got the CAI because Eric at TP told me that at stage 2 that an intake would add 3-5% hp. I also got a good deal on the new intake. I wouldn't bother getting a protune until I added a TMIC, bpv, 3 port and maybe even a fuel pump.... but that's just me. Protunes aren't cheap.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

If you can get the AEM, go for it. Otherwise a short ram will be pointless. The stock box is better (unless of course you want some spooling noise).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Personally, I would stay with the stock air box if your going with a catless downpipe and don't have an EWG in your future plans. The car will be less prone to overboost.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Personally, I would stay with the stock air box if your going with a catless downpipe and don't have an EWG in your future plans. The car will be less prone to overboost.
    You don't have a CAI on your set-up?

I watched some Aussie dudes but this idea to the test on a Mod themed video. Mighty Car Mods on youtube. I'll put a link at the end of this.
    They dynoed a N/A car, a turboed Soobie (legacy wagon?) and showed the results.
    They did stock airbox vs Pod filter and CAI vs stock in another.

Pod filter (K&N style)-
    POD Filters Mythbusted - YouTube

CAI vs Stock air box-
    Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted - YouTube

I just thought I'd share those cause I didn't really believe it.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    You don't have a CAI on your set-up?
    Yes, but I also have a catted downpipe. Some days I wish the stock box was still on the car because of how loud it is with the combination of the Forge BPV and AEM intake.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pete25r
    I watched some Aussie dudes but this idea to the test on a Mod themed video. Mighty Car Mods on youtube. I'll put a link at the end of this.

Pod filter (K&N style)-

CAI vs Stock air box-

Time and time again, an intake on VFXX 2.5L engines have shown gains of 10whp or more with proper tuning. Not always at peak, but gains towards redline (especially with enough injector to take advantage of the additional airflow) can be impressive:
    2011 Subaru STI stage 2 plus intake. Before/After intake test. - NASIOC

NOTE: The above car is an STI, but the turbo flows similar. While the TMIC is a bit better on the STI, this is just showing the before/after of an intake (obviously injectors were added as well, but Mike addresses that).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

There has always been that CAI vs. stock box set-up. I just go with what Eric from TP told me. He had no reason to be biased about it. I wasn't buying from him. I just asked him which one he saw more gains from... he told as i've said before that at this level it was about a 3-5% gain. For the money (about 220.00 I think it was shipped) I think that 3-5% of almost 300 whp (or over 300 according to the VD which I don't trust) is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    There has always been that CAI vs. stock box set-up. I just go with what Eric from TP told me. He had no reason to be biased about it. I wasn't buying from him. I just asked him which one he saw more gains from... he told as i've said before that at this level it was about a 3-5% gain. For the money (about 220.00 I think it was shipped) I think that 3-5% of almost 300 whp (or over 300 according to the VD which I don't trust) is worth it.
    What other mods do you have that you're hitting 300whp? or are you just running an insane amount of boost?

Stage 2 question

Cosworth

Quote Originally Posted by pete25r View Post

Pod filter (K&N style)-

CAI vs Stock air box-

I want 20 minutes of my life back >=(

Quote Originally Posted by TravTagz View Post
    What other mods do you have that you're hitting 300whp? or are you just running an insane amount of boost?
    TXS DP, AEM CAI and the TP stage 2 map.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TravTagz
    Boost means nothing in terms of peak power with a VF setup. They all taper to 13-15PSI by redline.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC