Who can give me there thought and opinions?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Who can give me there thought and opinions?! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright I'm fairly new to cars and how to upgrade them, and so on you get the picture. I have ...

Who can give me there thought and opinions?!

Alright I'm fairly new to cars and how to upgrade them, and so on you get the picture. I have a deep passion for them with no one to show me the ropes but myself but i learned alot and i wanna know more as much as i can. I have a 03 wrx stock. things u should know about it before i start its an auto sadly, and ive noticed a slight rust problem around were the radaitor I'm looking to do mods very very soon I already know what i am going to get here is the list 1

Cobbaccessport
    K &N Cold air Inatake 69-8001TWR
    Agency Power Stainless Steel HeadersHeader w/ Up pipe
    TXS downpipe catted
    Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust Single Layer Titanium
    BOV Tial Q
    Boost controller not sure what kind to get
    Walbro 255 LPH High Pressure Fuel Pump Kit Or bosch 044 motorsport pump not sure which one
    DeatschWerks Fuel Injectors 565cc/min

How is the list ? Give opinions what do u think?
    I also want to do more to the engine but im not sure what else i can do to get more HP every little helps

about the tranny like i said its auto and i think that will be a problem if i leave it the way it is, so is there away i can upgrade it and have faster longer shifts?

And anything i should know about the WRX things i should check do on the reg anything will help im tryning to learn all i can

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rgillen1028 View Post
    Cobbaccessport
    Expensive but it works. If you can't or don't want to do open source, this is the way to go.

K &N Cold air Inatake 69-8001TWR
    Unnecessary. I'd skip. Also, unless a part is listed by Cobb as supported, it's not supported.

Agency Power Stainless Steel HeadersHeader w/ Up pipe
    I don't buy that brand. Also, I'd skip headers (again, read the Cobb map notes) and just do an up pipe. Any up pipe -- except from that brand.

TXS downpipe catted
    Sure.

Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust Single Layer Titanium
    Contact both TXS and Invidia and ask each of their piece mates to the other.

BOV Tial Q
    No. Skip.

Boost controller not sure what kind to get
    None. Skip. The Cobb map will control boost. Read the Cobb map.

Walbro 255 LPH High Pressure Fuel Pump Kit Or bosch 044 motorsport pump not sure which one
    No. Skip.

DeatschWerks Fuel Injectors 565cc/min
    No. Skip.

How is the list ?
    Expensive. There are parts you simply don't need. Read the Cobb map notes. Follow those notes only.

Give opinions what do u think?
    What I think isn't useful. The Cobb map notes are all that matter. Read them.

I also want to do more to the engine but im not sure what else i can do to get more HP every little helps
    The pump and injectors are not needed now. They would be needed in the case of a turbo upgrade. I'd avoid a turbo upgrade because of the high costs. Search for "Stage 1" or "Stage 2" and see which one you find more interesting, as neither needs a turbo upgrade. Once you have the car there, see if you like it or still want more.

about the tranny like i said its auto and i think that will be a problem if i leave it the way it is, so is there away i can upgrade it and have faster longer shifts?
    I doubt it will be a problem but yes, you can upgrade it. See the transmission forum. Also follow the link in my sig.

And anything i should know about the WRX things i should check do on the reg anything will help im tryning to learn all i can
    Before modifying the car in any way, bring it up to full factory spec according to the owner's manual. Prefer authentic Subaru parts. After all maintenance is done as specified, if there is money left, then consider mods.

Follow the link in my signature for any/all info. However, if you are going to buy a Cobb device, you must read their map notes and must use the parts specified in those map notes.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-09-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Those modifications won't work with a base map supplied through Cobb; you'd require a custom tune, so you need to figure out which shop would be doing the work, and talk to them about ECU tuning options. You may be able to get a custom map for less than the Cobb AP will cost you, and it will be significantly better.

That said, of your list, I would not bother with the headers (just get an uppipe like the Grimmspeed unit), BOV, or fuel injectors. The fuel pump is inexpensive enough, and easy enough to install, that it probably doesn't hurt (although, it's not needed).

For the intake, I really like the APS unit. It places the filter element in the fender, but keeps it high enough up that water ingestion isn't much of an issue. You can typically find them used for $100-150, and you'll just need to replace/clean the filter.

Boost control is another thing you should talk to the person tuning your vehicle. Some tuners will recommend stock, some will prefer an EBCS setup, some may prefer MBCs, while others may want both on the car.

With money saved so far, I'd invest in a good TMIC and high-stall torque converter.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-09-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks that helped alot ! im starting to understand it better.

Now with the Cobb AP will I still need to have my car tuned when I have mods?

I Support ClubWRX
    Read the map notes. Each map has notes describing what parts are supported; this means it also indirectly states what parts are not supported.

If you want parts on the car that are not supported, you will need a different map. If Cobb do not provide one, then you will need a different tune. This can be accomplished either by a Cobb licensee or by someone using open source etc. However, if you are not going to follow the Cobb map notes and want a tune anyway, you may as well not buy the AP but go directly with a third party tune. In this case, talk to the tuner about your goals and what parts should be on the car.

To keep thing simple, you could consider up pipe, down pipe, AP, nothing more. This will make the car much quicker and also make it illegal to drive on public roads anywhere in the US.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ready, Fire, Aim!
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Austin, Texas

Proud Member #512 of the Stink-Eye Mob

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with this from SD_GR
    To keep thing simple, you could consider up pipe, down pipe, AP, nothing more. This will make the car much quicker and also make it illegal to drive on public roads anywhere in the US.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

mods

Smart engine modification, tuned exhaust modulation, all in affordable moderation, I say. GLW mods. Don't spend too much, but new or used, buy quality stuff.
    Ooh yeah! soon as I deliver these groceries your car gets smoked!

SD pretty much said everything. He's pretty dam good. Unless you're making a track car, you don't need any of those. And if you're doing an intake kit, I personally would not do cold air, I blew my engine in my Lancer last year in AZ. Got caught in a monsoon and hydrolocked the car. Short ram from Cobb plus tune.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.