2002 WRX Wagon Random Misfire issue!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX Wagon Random Misfire issue! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 02 WRX wagon with about 115k on it that has been getting random misfires on all cylinders. ...

2002 WRX Wagon Random Misfire issue!

I have a 02 WRX wagon with about 115k on it that has been getting random misfires on all cylinders. Here is a list of mods:
    VF22 Turbo
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    Perrin short ram intake
    Grimmspeed boost controller
    Light weight flywheel
    MRT Downpipe
    MRT Cat Back Exhaust

I am still in contact with the original owner and he never had issues with random misfires, even with the light flywheel. Here is a list of things I have tried:

Cleaned maf
    Replaced fuel filter
    New plugs x3: NGK Iridium BKR6EIX / NGK Platinum PFR6G/ NGK/Platinum PFR7G/ All gapped at .028
    Compression test @ 150 psi per cylinder
    Cleaned crank sensor
    Good fuel pressure
    No vacuum leaks
    New pcv
    Double checked all clips to coil packs
    Replaced coil packs
    Seafoamed Top End
    All grounds are good and clean
    Replaced Y pipe / All intercooler hoses and gaskets
    Cleaned battery terminals
    Fuel injector cleaner

This all started when I decided to do a tune up and replace the plugs. I have replaced the plugs three times now in the order mentioned above. As mentioned above the previous owner said he had the ACT lightweight flywheel installed for about 20k with NO issues. Car has been professionally tuned by a local shop for supporting mods. I am running out of ideas here! And yes I have read the following thread:

IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My 05 wrx did that found out boost controller was bad and wasnt getting proper air to fuel also had to get the ngk iridium cool plugs cause all others missfired hope this helps to test you boost controller only if you have stock one is to unhook the hose from it and take a SHORT drive and keep psi down be sure to reset your check engine light to see if thats a fix best of luck to ya

Quote Originally Posted by Kendalja View Post
    I have a 02 WRX wagon with about 115k on it that has been getting random misfires on all cylinders. Here is a list of mods:
    VF22 Turbo
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    Perrin short ram intake
    Grimmspeed boost controller
    Light weight flywheel
    MRT Downpipe
    MRT Cat Back Exhaust

I am still in contact with the original owner and he never had issues with random misfires, even with the light flywheel. Here is a list of things I have tried:

Cleaned maf
    Replaced fuel filter
    New plugs x3: NGK Iridium BKR6EIX / NGK Platinum PFR6G/ NGK/Platinum PFR7G/ All gapped at .028
    Compression test @ 150 psi per cylinder
    Cleaned crank sensor
    Good fuel pressure
    No vacuum leaks
    New pcv
    Double checked all clips to coil packs
    Replaced coil packs
    Seafoamed Top End
    All grounds are good and clean
    Replaced Y pipe / All intercooler hoses and gaskets
    Cleaned battery terminals
    Fuel injector cleaner

This all started when I decided to do a tune up and replace the plugs. I have replaced the plugs three times now in the order mentioned above. As mentioned above the previous owner said he had the ACT lightweight flywheel installed for about 20k with NO issues. Car has been professionally tuned by a local shop for supporting mods. I am running out of ideas here! And yes I have read the following thread:

IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    you must be in sydney considering that you have done work in mrt, quick qeustion were did you get the seafoam from in australia i cant find it (thats if you are form australia), and misfiring could be your flywheel if its been tuned for it its weird do you know which cylinder is misfiring? could be a ecu fault

just realisd you said all cylinders im leaning towards the flywheel

Im actually in the states Isn't it odd that the previous owner had the flywheel installed for about 20k on it and had no misfire issues?

Yes your right but im not saykng it os it could be could be someyhing wrong in your tune

So I replaced the Crank Position Sensor and so far no more misfires. (Fingers crossed)!! When pulling the old one it looked ok but just replaced it anyway. Is there a way to test these? Its a magnet...how can it go bad lol?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.